2000 Explorer trans slips in reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer trans slips in reverse

bluestream1

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4
Backed out of the garage the other day and heard a clunk/bang noise when I put it in reverse. Now I can get reverse, but slips when I give it any gas, but works with no load on it. Thinking the band let go? Or would that mean no reverse at all? Any way to check the band?

Also any harm in driving like this for a while? Forward gears work fineSeveral years ago I replaced the VB gasket and installed the D-ring on the reverse servo.

TKS in Advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: No reverse at all now...

I would suspect a broken low/rev band. Check and see if you have manual low gear. Driving it like this is going to be a roll of the dice. I’ve seen the lug break of and fall out of the way of other moving parts and also have seen the band break and come into contact with other parts to actually get wedged between reaction shell and push itself through the case. Do you feel lucky? Lol.

Well, I feel lucky to have made it to 360,000KM, I have owned this truck for 16 years and done all my own work.

I did a test ride, and have no low manual 1st gear so I guess the reverse band has let go. Too bad, as the truck is still in great shape and everything else is perfect. In hindsight I may have looked after too well, shame to have to scrap it now. If I remove reverse servo and stick a screwdriver up the hole can I feel if the band has spring tension? Any chance the pin broke off the servo tip? Just want to make sure it's broken before I scrap the old girl.

I would just fix it

One of the lugs in the picture is broken and not allowing the band to clamp on the drum correctly.
3164C534-AA12-4CA0-8CAE-7090BEC59129.jpeg

Thanks Transman; I believe you are correct. I do have 1st gear, but no engine braking in manual 1st.

I have done many repairs on this truck over the years, and said I will fix anything but a major engine or transmission issue. I'm sure I could replace that band myself, but I dont have the time right now, and even if I did, I dont want to get to the point where I can never let it go because I just made the last thing work, and have that emotional attachment. (I've been that that for many years now)
I could just drive without reverse, but then need to worry about that broken tab getting jammed into the case at anytime.

I hate to scrap this truck, but it looks like its the end of the road. I've owned only 2 trucks since 1991 when I bought my first explorer. End of the Ford era for me.

I decided to drop the pan and have a look. Very clean inside, and reverse servo in good shape, and was sitting flush with the bottom of the case. Took a bit of wiggling it to get it out, but when I pushed it up fluid came out of another spot, and I pulled it straight down and out. Tip of servo was fine, but had small bit of up and down play in the servo rod. (I put the Viton D rings, bonded separator plate and Ford update kit in 2006) The Viton rings looked fine, no tears, however the servo bore seemed worn on the bottom 1/2 inch of the case. Unusual wear and had a slight "ridge" and was not even all around the bore. Pushed a Phillips up and felt spring tension on the band, not real strong, but when I pushed up, it sprang back.

Any reports of the bonded separator plates blowing out the the older gaskets did? Mine's been in there 12 years and 200,000KM

Will post some pics of the bore as soon as it stops dripping on me

PA270022 (1).JPG

I'm beginning to think the servo wear is normal machining for this case. If you look at the picture the bottom of the bore is not smooth, but has a slight bevel to it and the width of the wear band is not uniform around the bore. Can anyone confirm this is normal?

Very normal. Not going to be a contributing factor .

Yes, I think is fine, seems to be normal. I took the o-rings off the servo and it slides nicely up and down the bore. Filter looked clean when I looked in the hole. Not sure what the problem is here, but all I can do is put it back together. Too bad I tore the servo cover gasket! Have to buy a new one. Maybe my Transfer case has the issue with the back case and rail?

I would suspect the band as you lost engine breaking in manual low. The transfer case wear would have no bearing on that.

I'd also suspect rev/ low band. You heard the "pop of death" and lost reverse. Nothing else will pop and only loose reverse that I know of.

I would tend to agree with you both, but would a broken band still have some spring in it? I'm not sure how much spring it should have as I've never felt a good one, but mine still seems to have some tension when I put in a screwdriver and push. Even pushing up the servo I feel the soft spring back

Yes it will have some spring to it if the other side broke. Stick a screwdriver in the servo hole and see if the piece wiggles side to side. It's usually the servo side that will brake. The peice can wedge up and make you think it's ok, maybe try moving it with a magnet.

Okay, 100% confirmed broken band. I stuck a screwdriver up the servo hole and could move around the broken piece. SO, now I need to decided to scrap it, part it out, or sell to someone as a Mud truck. If I had time I would repair it myself just for the challenge, but no way I can do that now. In some ways I have taken too good care of it, in that its in good shape, everything works, when something broke I fixed it, and everything worked well, and its hard to scrap. Oh well, I drove it for 16 years, and its now 19 years old.

Many thanks to all of you who replied to this thread and help me diagnose this issue. Great bunch of people here!

Back