I can’t fill my car | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I can’t fill my car

Emkline04

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I hope someone can help me out! I have been having issues filling up at the gas station lately, so I have been replacing parts according to a TSB. I have seen P0451 and P1450, but they are random and don’t always come on. Also, whenever I open the gas cap it sounds like a bunch of pressure is being released. So, I replace the charcoal canister and installed the revised shepherds hook design on the vent side of the evap lines. In addition, I replaced the vent solenoid and blew out the lines, and checked to seee if the flip valve was stuck, but nothing. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's the issue with trying to fill your tank?

I can only fill it for about 30 seconds and then it kicks off. Takes about 20 plus minutes to finish.

Sounds like something is pressuring for some reason...

We've heard of aftermarket rubber vent hoses collapsing and/or becoming pinched.

Team TARDIS

try to fill up with the nozzle inserted into the fill hole as shallow as possible and use the first notch on the handle and see if that helps..... why the fuel is backing up in the filler neck and blocking the auto shut off breather on the pump nozzle is beyond me but my 1998 would only fill if I did what a said

try to fill up with the nozzle inserted into the fill hole as shallow as possible and use the first notch on the handle and see if that helps..... why the fuel is backing up in the filler neck and blocking the auto shut off breather on the pump nozzle is beyond me but my 1998 would only fill if I did what a said
I have tried to fill it below the first click and it still shuts off. Something is keeping it presurized so it won’t take fuel.

I have tried to fill it below the first click and it still shuts off. Something is keeping it presurized so it won’t take fuel.

but how far are you sticking the nozzle into the filler ..... with the engine off nothing can cause any pressure.... when fuel backs up to the top of the filler neck it gets sucked into the breather hole and automatically shuts off the filler head... only thing it can be is a blockage in the neck or a clogged breather/vent hose..... try filling up by only putting the nozzel into the filler as shallow as you can

Where does it happen? By the vent solenoid or closer to the tank? All of the hoses I can see look good.

Sorry but we can't help on that. Our issue was a rusted vent tube that needed to be replaced. We read horror stories of aftermarket filler/vent tubes causing what you described and ended up having a hydraulics shop take care of ours. Good luck.

Team
TARDIS

Back