Rear window hinges | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear window hinges

dr fildo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mounaineer
How difficult is it to get to the rear window hinges? Mine are loose and the window is shifted to the left. I can open it and straighten it out, but after a day, it shifts over again. They just need to be tightened.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you pop off the top of the interior trim around the top of the hatch, you'll see 2 rubber plugs. Remove the plugs and look into the hatch and you'll see a 10MM nut on a stud. Center the glass in its opening and tighten the nuts and it should stop the glass from moving left/right. Just don't go crazy on the nuts or you could pull the stud out of the back of the hinge.

There are plenty of used Gen II hinges on eBay (link below) and a few NOS ones there too.

2000 explorer rear window hindges in eBay Motors | eBay

There are also different hinges that can work, that are from the later Sport models, 2002 and 03 I believe. I haven't searched for any of them, but some may be cheaper. Good hunting.

Thanks koda. I just got through doing mine and BTW the top ones are T27. They were loose too.

Back