Shock replacements | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shock replacements

My rule of thumb when towing is that tongue weight should not exceed 50 lbs. If it's too heavy the trailer will wander around at speed and put too much weight on the ball hitch/rear of your vehicle.
Did you mean it should never be under 50lbs???
10-15% of the trailer weight is recommended. Goosenecks go even higher, like 20%. Makes for a more stable set up. Running less than 10% isnt just a bad idea, its dangerous.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently replaced my front shocks with Rancho 5000 and it's a little too firm, not the soft luxurious ride I was hoping for with so much wheel travel available. At 70mph on the interstate the front will shudder a bit when going over a decent sized crack. Not sure if this is shock valving or if maybe the control arm is contacting the rubber bump stop. Tires aren't the best either, Dextero DHT2.

What shock will provide the most Cadillac....err....Lincoln like ride? I do realize this is a truck but will use her mostly on paved roads and not looking for sports car feel.

If you're looking for a "boat like" OE ride, another shock worth considering is the blue entry level (Monroe-Tenneco) Monro-Matics. These are valved "softer" than the OE Spectrum (aka SensaTrac). NAPA offers an identical relabeled model called "Response" for about $30 each with a 20% off promo when you buy three or more items through October 31. Expect increased body roll and front brake dive with these softer shocks. Regarding bottoming out on the bump stops. Apply chalk or talcum powder to the contact surface and check for witness marks. No surprise you found the Rancho 5000 series firm since they are designed for off road use and have the reputation of being very firm and almost harsh for street driving. Regarding your 70 MPH "shudder". Find a reputable alignment or tire shop that offers free inspections and checks. Call around and GL.

I recently replaced my front shocks with Rancho 5000 and it's a little too firm, not the soft luxurious ride I was hoping for with so much wheel travel available. At 70mph on the interstate the front will shudder a bit when going over a decent sized crack. Not sure if this is shock valving or if maybe the control arm is contacting the rubber bump stop. Tires aren't the best either, Dextero DHT2.

What shock will provide the most Cadillac....err....Lincoln like ride? I do realize this is a truck but will use her mostly on paved roads and not looking for sports car feel.

When I switched from dismal Goodyear Wrangler RT/S to Michelin LTX M/S, my ride improved a lot. Pricey, but well worth the money. They wore like iron also. I only got rid of them due to age.

I have load levelers in the rear and older reflex in the front (New old stock, getting hard to find). Not saying it is a luxury car ride but handling and roll is much improved. Also, good Idea to replace your sway bar bushings with Poly.

Stiffen the back end up with polyurethane sway bar mounting bushings, and an EE rear bar if you can find one. That will help the handling a bunch.

EE rear sway bar.JPG

If you're looking for a "boat like" OE ride, another shock worth considering is the blue entry level (Monroe-Tenneco) Monro-Matics. These are valved "softer" than the OE Spectrum (aka SensaTrac). NAPA offers an identical relabeled model called "Response" for about $30 each with a 20% off promo when you buy three or more items through October 31. Expect increased body roll and front brake dive with these softer shocks. Regarding bottoming out on the bump stops, apply chalk or talcum powder to contact surface and check for witness marks. No surprise you found the Rancho 5000 series firm since they are designed for off road use and have the reputation of being very firm and almost harsh for street driving. Regarding your 70 MPH "shudder", find a reputable alignment or tire shop that offers free inspections and checks. Call around and GL.

It may actually be "boat like" I'm looking for. I had an '89 Cadillac DeVille years ago and got very used to the smooth quietness in no time. Took a little getting used to the extra moving around when driving spiritedly, sorta like chine walkin', but the luxury side made me soft quick.

Why is it off road shocks are firmer? I'd think more suspension movement would be a good thing, those trophy trucks sure do look dreamy soft.

When I switched from dismal Goodyear Wrangler RT/S to Michelin LTX M/S, my ride improved a lot. Pricey, but well worth the money. They wore like iron also. I only got rid of them due to age.

I have had the same great experience with Michelin on the street.....and the same disappointment with noisy GoodYear. LTX is my plan once I decide if I'm going to go with taller wheels.

Motorcraft aren't expensive and sometimes OE stuff is really great. How do they compare to the other options as far as firmness and lifespan?

The point of OE stuff is to bring back that factory feel. It doesn't have to be Motorcraft per se; just something similar.

As for life span...it is unknown. A new set of shocks can fail within 5 miles after install while some can last 70, 90 or 100 thousand miles. It depends on use and how good the QC was at the factory.

It may actually be "boat like" I'm looking for. I had an '89 Cadillac DeVille years ago and got very used to the smooth quietness in no time. Took a little getting used to the extra moving around when driving spiritedly, sorta like chine walkin', but the luxury side made me soft quick.

Why is it off road shocks are firmer? I'd think more suspension movement would be a good thing, those trophy trucks sure do look dreamy soft.

I have had the same great experience with Michelin on the street.....and the same disappointment with noisy GoodYear. LTX is my plan once I decide if I'm going to go with taller wheels.
Offroad shocks are firmer to handle bigger hits. Stiffer compression and faster rebound. Remember those offroad trucks are hitting massive mounds, holes, and so forth at 100mph. The suspension on a stock truck would blow through the stroke and bottom out HARD. Those racing trucks run tires with lots of sidewall, lots of suspension travel, and heavy valving to prevent bottoming.

The softer ride will basically only come from a shock made for the street and designed with variable stiffness(something built into it that provides less resistance initially). I think the Sensatrac shocks were some of the first to do that, and be made for SUV's and trucks.

I ordered a pair of Monroe Gas Magnums for the front to try. They claim "Better valving range on both the compression and extension cycles of the unit for a smooth, comfortable ride".

IMO the Sensatracs are a good firmness for general purpose ride quality. I tried Reflex's (which are probably similar to some off-road shocks, stiffer) and they were way too bouncy and harsh.

+1 for the rear load-leveling shocks with the helper coils.

IMO the Sensatracs are a good firmness for general purpose ride quality. I tried Reflex's (which are probably similar to some off-road shocks, stiffer) and they were way too bouncy and harsh.

+1 for the rear load-leveling shocks with the helper coils.
I believe the SensaTracs have been replaced with OESpectrum. Both were listed as OE quality ride, the Gas Magnums claim to be better, more comfortable ride. We'll see.

Wow! The Magnums are definitely a nicer riding street shock than the Rancho 5000. Went for a quick test loop after installing them and was able to hit the expansion joint which had previously cause the truck to shudder. Nice smooth "thump", still more firm control than a boat like luxury car ride. Rebound is slower too, no more bouncing back up too quickly.

Great to hear. I have had a pair of those long ago on my old Ranchero, and saved them for warrantee or reuse. They were a good stiff shock back in the 80's.

I had the brilliant idea to see what my Monroe load adjusting shocks would feel like with the springs removed. Turns out you can't get the spring off without removing the cross pin from the upper mount, unless I'm doin' it wrong. :(
So I put the old shocks back on the rear. The old shocks were not in as bad shape as the fronts were, still some compression and rebound damping, drove it a little bit and the overall ride felt better. I need to drive it some more.

Here is a strange question. Might anybody know what family the Monroe Load Adjusting shocks are in? Monroe-Matic, OESpectrum(Sensa-Trac) or Magnum? I think I saw where they were listed as Sensa-Tracs but not for sure. Another way to get the spring off is to cut the lower ring. I may end up doing this unless I find someone to trade with.

^ Mine were advertised as Sensa-tracs.

I have been really happy with the gabriel load assist shocks, made wobbly boat seems like stiff ride again

C2CC0185787468667605__ra_p.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been really happy with the gabriel load assist shocks, made wobbly boat seems like stiff ride again

I believe those are what I'm using. I like em.

I've been using Rancho 5000s in the front. Havent really made up my mind if I like em or not. Would like something firmer, longer lasting, for offloading.

Back