• Register Today It's free!

02 Expo no reverse?

Scurvy

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.0l
I have a 2002 explorer and I recently lost reverse. When I shift, you can feel it shift and move a tiny bit but when I press on the gas it doesn't move.

All forward gears work fine. I had to drive the truck home from work the day I lost reverse (~38 km) and had no issues. Reverse does work in 4x4 LOW.

To check the transmission fluid level I had to change the drain plug because the t30 plug inside it was stripped. After doing that I topped the fluid back up. I went to take it for a test drive only to realize my front tire is flat. When topping it up I added some seafoam transtune to it, I was going to take it for a rip and hope that did something but now I need to deal with inflating the tire tomorrow (it is too late to fire up the air compressor).

Any suggestions, tips, ideas? Whats wrong with my tranny? How much is it likely going to cost to fix? Thanks for your help!

Shes been off the road for a month! It pains me to have my truck just sitting, especially while hunting season rolls by without me! Any input would be much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I deleted the other thread for you.

Your transfer case is worn and needs replaced or rebuilt if you have reverse in 4 low. The rear case half wears at the bore for the range hub fork rail and allows the hub to disengage. 4 low doesn’t have that element in use which will give you reverse.

Your transfer case is worn and needs replaced or rebuilt if you have reverse in 4 low. The rear case half wears at the bore for the range hub fork rail and allows the hub to disengage. 4 low doesn’t have that element in use which will give you reverse.

Interesting. I never would have guessed the transfer case could be responsible for this. I figured reverse worked in 4low had something to do with the higher gear ratio requiring less pressure in the tranny or something...

Can anyone confirm this is a likely cause of my problem? I don't doubt Transman304, but having additional people in agreement sure wouldn't hurt.

I can't answer that, but would be interested in hearing from others. Seems the TC should be a straight pass though of power to the drive shaft

I can't answer that, but would be interested in hearing from others. Seems the TC should be a straight pass though of power to the drive shaft

That is what I would have figured too, but apparently not?

If this is my problem, what needs to be replaced if I got the transfer case rebuilt? It this something a somewhat handy person could do themselves? If not, what parts would I expect to pay a shop to replace?

I would get a used one from a wreckers. They normally don't go bad.

I would get a used one from a wreckers. They normally don't go bad.

That is my most likely course of action, but I still want to know what parts specifically would need replacing. Seems the rear case half is likely pooched? What else? I would want to compare my old T-case to the new one before I put it in...

Back