• Register Today It's free!

Intake manifold

fireftr

Reaction score
City, State
strongsville,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Limited 4.6
Just replaced the intake manifold on my 05 EX 4.6.
Coolant filled the #6 spark plug well, shorting out the plug/coil connection.
Intake gasket was intact, but entire gasket and top of head was wet with coolant. Found piece of plastic missing in driver side front coolant passage in intake. I'm assuming this was the cause of the coolant leak.
With all the problems with these plastic manifolds, would you advise me to contact Ford for reimbursement?
I'm not even going to get into the issue of the spark plug that ejected out of this engine last year!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just replaced the intake manifold on my 05 EX 4.6.
Coolant filled the #6 spark plug well, shorting out the plug/coil connection.
Intake gasket was intact, but entire gasket and top of head was wet with coolant. Found piece of plastic missing in driver side front coolant passage in intake. I'm assuming this was the cause of the coolant leak.
With all the problems with these plastic manifolds, would you advise me to contact Ford for reimbursement?
I'm not even going to get into the issue of the spark plug that ejected out of this engine last year!
@fireftr
Well, #6 certainly is where you found the defect. Not familiar enough with these engines to be able to remark knowledgeably, but fail to understand how/why the spark plug well is not situated in the head casting, not associated with the intake manifold?

Would like to learn more! imp

Trying to get reimbursed for this would probably be as successful as reimbursement for the rear panel crack that is much more common. It's a 13 year old truck that's a decade out of warranty. Be glad it was an easy fix and move on.

Trying to get reimbursed for this would probably be as successful as reimbursement for the rear panel crack that is much more common. It's a 13 year old truck that's a decade out of warranty. Be glad it was an easy fix and move on.
You're probably right, but it burns me up when I spend hard-earned $$ for a product, and the manufacturer won't stand behind a defect, unless pressured to do so by a lawsuit or someone loses their life!
i.e. the current issue with CO. Ford originally came out and blamed the problem on holes drilled through the floorboards of Police vehicles for mounting their equipment! REALLY?
They must think everyone is stupid!
Instead of addressing the cause of the CO, they try to force-feed the public some stupid, non-issue for a solution.
How about - "Where's the CO coming from?" DUH! How about the exhaust under the hood, and it's getting sucked into the car with the airflow that so happens to be moving rearward and INTOTHE CAR!
It's not rocket science! Of course they never addressed how it was happening in personal vehicles, of which there were also many complaints the same as the Police.
I'm just fed up with large corporations not taking responsibility for a manufacturing problem until someone dies. They're lucky no one lost their life in this case!
Went through the same thing with the Firestone tire issue on my 92!
Unfortunately, I like these vehicles!

Are you saying that the replacement unit has a hole in it?
Or the original intake does?

If it’s the original, it’s just part of life. If you just recently replaced it and purchased it from Ford, then contact the place you bought it at.

Are you saying that the replacement unit has a hole in it?
Or the original intake does?

If it’s the original, it’s just part of life. If you just recently replaced it and purchased it from Ford, then contact the place you bought it at.

The intake was the original, just like the spark plug that rocketed out of the head, taking the coil pak with it, and the driveshaft weights that flew off, and the transmission that had to be rebuilt, and the rear wheel bearings that had to be replaced and the rear end that whines, and the shift lever boot that dried out and cracked and the front of the headliner that came loose and is hanging down, and the lug nut caps that came off. See a trend here?
These "Exploders" are aptly named, but, I guess, "it's just part of life"!

The auto manufacturers don't care about anything but selling new cars. Look at all the 5 year old Silverados rusting out. My 15 ram had issues with the leather seats. Even tho it was under warranty I still had to spend several hours on the phone arguing to get them replaced. They acted like they did a huge favor to me when it was under warranty.

Back