Switching to manual hubs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

But i will add which has worked GREAT...when you switch over to the manual hubs,take a dremel and notch the manual hub nut where the key way is on the shaft once everything is torqued down so the auto hub little key will fit it in and prevent the outer nut from backing off..

**If new bearings and everything. ..take for a break in and then re-torque everything. .then notch*****

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But i will add which has worked GREAT...when you switch over to the manual hubs,take a dremel and notch the manual hub nut where the key way is on the shaft once everything is torqued down so the auto hub little key will fit it in and prevent the outer nut from backing off..

**If new bearings and everything. ..take for a break in and then re-torque everything. .then notch*****

Do you have a pic of this?

Do you have a pic of this?
I do not but is pretty obvious once you pull the auto hubs out,the little key has to come out..then once you put the manual hubs on it will be very clear that key wont fit back in because the nuts arnt notched..

Oh I see now, thanks for the clarity. I was having a hard time picturing what you were saying.
You want to notch the new nut to accept the old style “key” to keep the nut from backing off.
That is a great idea and I still have the keys and stuff from my old hubs.
To be honest I was hoping my days of having to deal with that key were over lmao!

Oh I see now, thanks for the clarity. I was having a hard time picturing what you were saying.
You want to notch the new nut to accept the old style “key” to keep the nut from backing off.
That is a great idea and I still have the keys and stuff from my old hubs.
To be honest I was hoping my days of having to deal with that key were over lmao!
Lol..yea definitely keeps the nut from backing off which seems to be an issue for alot of people, idk why though

Lol..yea definitely keeps the nut from backing off which seems to be an issue for alot of people, idk why though

Thanks for the heads up I’ll keep an eye on that!

shouldn't back off if nuts are properly installed and torqued the inner adjusts bearing preload lock plate goes on over the pin in inner nut [you did install the pinned nut on the bearing with the pin out] then you put on the outer nut and torque it tight

roscoe

shouldn't back off if nuts are properly installed and torqued the inner adjusts bearing preload lock plate goes on over the pin in inner nut [you did install the pinned nut on the bearing with the pin out] then you put on the outer nut and torque it tight

roscoe
They still do,especially the driverside..ive seen them snap that little pin off on many once the outer nut comes loose..

Back