4th Gen Explorer Pictures | Page 51 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pic's of my 4th gen 2010 EB and the 5th gen 2018 LTD. The 5th gen is a Ford provided rental while I get the airbag recall replacement in my wife's 2007 Edge. The '18 LTD is a sweet ride but i don't know if i'd want to take it to the dirty muddy places that I don't think twice about going to in my '10 EB. I like them both, but in different ways.

IMG_20181014_110110_1.jpg
IMG_20181019_125542.jpg
IMG_20181019_125718.jpg
IMG_20181019_125743.jpg
IMG_20181019_125805.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My mom has a 5th Gen, and while it has a smoother ride, there's not really much else I like about it more than my '06. And really I enjoy driving mine quite a bit more due to it feeling less numb, better visibility, and RWD. I'm also not a fan of how fat the 5th Gen is (it's over 5 inches wider than the 4th Gen). The door sills are also too far away from you, which is unfortunate.

My mom has a 5th Gen, and while it has a smoother ride, there's not really much else I like about it more than my '06. And really I enjoy driving mine quite a bit more due to it feeling less numb, better visibility, and RWD. I'm also not a fan of how fat the 5th Gen is (it's over 5 inches wider than the 4th Gen). The door sills are also too far away from you, which is unfortunate.

my parents replaced their 2004 with a 2017 platinum 3.5EB and to be honest other than interior quality I don't think its any better than my 2007..... I tried what ever I could and it doesn't even feel that quick and I agree the visibility just feels like a car.... ive driven 95,98,04,07 and 17 and each gen I could feel an improvement and you can tell the 5th gen is just another iteration of the ford Dcar line up... Taurus / flex

The Gen 5 was a hell of a lot quicker. I'm on pavement about 90%, but for the 10% i think i'd end up tearing the front fascia off the Gen 5. My Gen 4 sits higher and I have no issues. I'm waiting for the Bronco.

Looks good!

The Explorer in post 1141 looks great with the black painted areas, I sort of want to do the same thing to my EB, only white on the grille (where it's chrome).

The one above on BFG's....I've been looking at getting a set for mine by fall, I wasn't sure if a 265/65 would fit. Any rubbing? stock height?

Thanks! :)~

Finally got some new tires and wheels. Now they won't need air every other day. Looks SO much better now!

Wheels: Gear Alloy Endurance 739b
Tires: Nitto Terra Grappler G2 (265/65-17)
20161228_165510-1_zpscbqpf1wb.jpg

20161228_165550_zpsvn8dmbil.jpg
Any chance you remember the wheel width and offset on those?

Hi Doug625, I was just reading through and saw your question. I just googled the wheels he mentioned and found that the bolt pattern for the Explorer only had one offset. That was zero mm and a 17" x 8.5" wheel. Hope that helps.

I'm really curious to know how his suspension has been affected from such a drop in offset from the factory wheels.

Hi Doug625, I was just reading through and saw your question. I just googled the wheels he mentioned and found that the bolt pattern for the Explorer only had one offset. That was zero mm and a 17" x 8.5" wheel. Hope that helps.

I'm really curious to know how his suspension has been affected from such a drop in offset from the factory wheels.
Thanks for the info, I'm not thinking it has much effect on the suspension, a slightly wider stance can feel slightly different but I'm thinking wheel bearings may wear out faster.

Thanks for the info, I'm not thinking it has much effect on the suspension, a slightly wider stance can feel slightly different but I'm thinking wheel bearings may wear out faster.
using wheel spacers and large offset rims will wear out wheel bearings faster - in a solid axle vehicle you can actually get axle flex

my parents replaced their 2004 with a 2017 platinum 3.5EB and to be honest other than interior quality I don't think its any better than my 2007..... I tried what ever I could and it doesn't even feel that quick and I agree the visibility just feels like a car.... ive driven 95,98,04,07 and 17 and each gen I could feel an improvement and you can tell the 5th gen is just another iteration of the ford Dcar line up... Taurus / flex
I test drove a 5th generation last week, it's a great looking vehicle inside and out but I just didn't like it, it felt like a car with a high ceiling and if that was 290 hp they are definitely measuring horsepower differently nowadays because it wasn't impressive at all. I went with a 4th gen to replace my 202,000 mile 3rd gen.

Here's mine with brand new shoes. Really fills up the 'wells...Goodyear Wrangler Trailmark 265/70

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My "new" 2007 XLT, 95,000 miles. A few things planned for this one. Liking it so far.

20191231_231032.jpg

Back