• Register Today It's free!

No Power to Actuator

TOMANDPAT

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer, '02 XLT
My AC quit on Thursday, it was working great on Wednesday. Now it blows HOT air out the vents on the dash and on the rear of the console. (by the way, it's a 98 Eddie) I pulled off the blend door actuator and put a new one in it's place. Switching between max AC and heat, the actuator doesn't budge. Checked the fuse, it's OK. I can't see or get my hand up far enough to telll where the wiring harness goes. Does anyone know where I can access that harness so I can check it with a meter. I'm at a loss. Thanks in advance
Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By the way, I tried the EATC module self test that RobertA posted back in November, but couldn't get it to work. Anybody got any ideas?
Tom

My AC quit on Thursday, it was working great on Wednesday. Now it blows HOT air out the vents on the dash and on the rear of the console. (by the way, it's a 98 Eddie) I pulled off the blend door actuator and put a new one in it's place. Switching between max AC and heat, the actuator doesn't budge. Checked the fuse, it's OK. I can't see or get my hand up far enough to telll where the wiring harness goes. Does anyone know where I can access that harness so I can check it with a meter. I'm at a loss. Thanks in advance
Tom

TOMANDPAT said: My AC quit on Thursday, it was working great on Wednesday. Now it blows HOT air out the vents on the dash and on the rear of the console. (by the way, it's a 98 Eddie) I pulled off the blend door actuator and put a new one in it's place. Switching between max AC and heat, the actuator doesn't budge. Checked the fuse, it's OK. I can't see or get my hand up far enough to telll where thewiring harness goes. Does anyone know where I can access that harness so I can check it with a meter. I'm at a loss. Thanks in advance
Tom

Hi Tom,
I guess this was 7 years ago (U prob dont own the Exploder anymore huh?). Anyway, do u remember solving the problem? I'm not getting any power to the wiring harness that goes into the blend door actuator and it's not the fuse.
How did you get power to the blend door acuator?
Thx
Art

TOMANDPAT said: My AC quit on Thursday, it was working great on Wednesday. Now it blows HOT air out the vents on the dash and on the rear of the console. (by the way, it's a 98 Eddie) I pulled off the blend door actuator and put a new one in it's place. Switching between max AC and heat, the actuator doesn't budge. Checked the fuse, it's OK. I can't see or get my hand up far enough to telll where thewiring harness goes. Does anyone know where I can access that harness so I can check it with a meter. I'm at a loss. Thanks in advance
Tom

Hi Tom,
I guess this was 7 years ago (U prob dont own the Exploder anymore huh?). Anyway, do u remember solving the problem? I'm not getting any power to the wiring harness that goes into the blend door actuator and it's not the fuse.
How did you get power to the blend door acuator?
Thx
Art
Hi Kungfoon, I have the same problem. Any answers?

Tom

How do you know the actuator/blend door isn't working? Have you checked regrigerant, leaks, etc.?
Mine was working. Try acuating (defrost/vent/etc.) while plugged into the power harness BEFORE putting that plastic arm back into the hole where it plugs into. DOES THE ARM MOVE when it's supposed to?

I thought I wasn't getting power either, but it turned out that it was working. If you tell me what the original problem (of mine) was, I could try to remember what happened. FYI. I was able to move the blend door without the actuator plugged in by turning it with the tip of my finger in the hole where the plastic arm plugs in to move the blend door.

My actuator isn't moving when I turn the control dial. I tested the plug and found no power. Since I did this I read some more and found many saying the Doorman actuators don't always work. I haven't tested the actuator. I was hoping to find similar problems.
I am able to rotate the door easily. When the air is blowing the door will stay closed due to the air pressure. As soon as I turn the blower off the door drops back into its original position.

I have 2002 Explorer XLT with 260000 miles on it.

I know this is an old thread but just went through a lot of trouble replacing my blend door actuator and wanted to help others who might be in this boat -- it is mentioned in many posts but the SINGLE MOST important thing to know up front in my case: know which type of HVAC system you have (EATC/automatic has the digital screen with buttons for temp settings; Manual just has knobs you turn manually) and then ENSURE the actuator you buy matches that type of system. Duh! It's not super easy to clarify, so take the time to ensure it's a match. In my case both types showed up as a perfect MATCH for my vehicle on the auto parts site, and not knowing any better I bought the cheapest one (which it turns out was for manual, which I do not have). Both types of actuators look exactly the same and even have the same plug configuration so you'll hook it up and think it's a perfect match, but unless you get the right one it will not work! You'll check fuses and waste time thinking you've got a short somewhere and read a thousand threads when all you had to do was buy the right type! For my 99 Eddie Bauer, the Dorman 604-201 worked first try once I knew the difference (it's EATC). The 604-202 Did not work (it's manual -- and unfortunately that's what I bough first). To add to the confusion, the 604-201 had an extra plastic base fitting attached to the unit, so online and in person it looks totally wrong, but that base fitting just pops off and viola it's perfect! OK, I am sorry for the length and now I will shut up and enjoy the heat.

Back