Got a factory stereo question for you guys! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got a factory stereo question for you guys!

Zorin

Reaction score
City, State
Milton, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
My 2006 EB is beginning to have issues with the factory sat-nav and 6 CD changer. Everything actually works great, but the CD changer has begun giving Eject Errors. I heat it ticking, popping and snapping, and generally trying to eject the CD, but it errors out. Oddly, it WILL swap the CD between positions and play them, however, I just cannot eject them.

I really do not want to go aftermarket, so I was looking at a later model Navigation unit out of an Expedition, like a 2010-2014. Does anyone know if this will plug in OK? I know that some things I will not be able to use on the newer radio unless I do some wiring additions, will the main portions work in the 2006 by just plugging in? Main portions defined being Stereo, Sat-Nav, Steering wheel controls, and rear amp.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in most cases you can see what models had different pigtails by looking up aftermarket wire kits and then looking up used radios on ebay and looking at the rear pictures... if the plugs all fit and are used then the head units were the same in all those years .... ford likes to reuse as many radio options cross platforms when ever possible ..... just a guess but anything between 06-10 would probably work from mustang,f150,expedition,explorer,mounty

im not sure of the exact differences, but I have read that 06-08 nav radios are different than 09-10 radios...

Thanks, guys! I think I may just take the stereo to the local shop, and see if they can repair it. It can't be TOO bad....it still switched CD's and plays CD's.....just won't spit 'em out!

Thanks, guys! I think I may just take the stereo to the local shop, and see if they can repair it. It can't be TOO bad....it still switched CD's and plays CD's.....just won't spit 'em out!
let us know.... im sure they will quote you over $200 for a repair

Just FYI, if you go aftermarket, you basically unlock the full potential of the speakers - after my changer died I put a JVC head unit in and I've basically been driving the club ever since.

Back