High Mileage Oil

9COOP5

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Exp XLS
2014 Exp XLT
Should I get the high mileage oil change or the regular oil change for my ‘02 XLS? Does it make a difference I’m at 186K now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should I get the high mileage oil change or the regular oil change for my ‘02 XLS? Does it make a difference I’m at 186K now.
@9COOP5
I went to 10W-40 from 10W-30 at 150k. Listened to all the talk, good, bad, etc. Actually switched to Rotella Diesel oil, another jolt!

Used no visible amount before, now at 165k, no change. Runs great. imp

Rotella is good stuff for the money. I wouldn’t bother with the high mileage stuff. But any name brand full synthetic, spring for a premium filter, and don’t do a long interval oil change on the SOHC, and with a little luck it’ll run a long time.

Rotella is good stuff for the money. I wouldn’t bother with the high mileage stuff. But any name brand full synthetic, spring for a premium filter, and don’t do a long interval oil change on the SOHC, and with a little luck it’ll run a long time.
Agreed.

Use a good quality full synthetic oil (I prefer Mobil 1) and a high quality filter (I use Wix XP), and don’t push the mileage.

My local Walmart carries the Mobil 1 for $23 for the 5-qt container. Makes it a no brainer for me.

The high mileage just has an additive to help keep the synthetic seals soft and pliable so that they continue to seal. Once they dry out there isn't much that can be done. If you use it early on it does help though. I've been running high mileage for a while and I'm at 99k.

I use Valvoline conventional motor oil 5w30 as recommended for my 2005 4.0 V6.

I also buy Motorcraft FL820S oil filters.

I've been doing this since I bought it (around 165,000 miles) every 3,000 miles give or take and I'm over 235,000 miles now.

I've had the timing chain rattle for years now, and starting few years ago add a little blue bottle of the STP engine oil treatment to help with that on every oil change. It seems to have delayed the inevitable engine detonation. I would never use such a product on a healthy engine, but for $3 a bottle every few months when I do oil changes, it's worth the peace of mind.

Agreed.

Use a good quality full synthetic oil (I prefer Mobil 1) and a high quality filter (I use Wix XP), and don’t push the mileage.

My local Walmart carries the Mobil 1 for $23 for the 5-qt container. Makes it a no brainer for me.
@domct203
Years ago, I ordered a '65 Mustang, brand new, High Performance Package 289 Hi-Po, a "K" car. S/N was 5F07K284486.

Mobil 1 was the first synthetic to make an appearance, forget exactly when. My 289 at that time used almost no oil, 1/2 between changes, Texaco Havoline 10W-30.

So, I tried Mobil 1. Engine began burning it......2 qts in 3000 miles. Drained it out, went back to Havoline, no usage. I got a "bad taste" for synthetics therefore long ago. Just haven't gotten comfortable with them. The Hi-Po engine had a bit looser bearing fits, solid valve lifters, but nothing I could judge should have made such a change. imp

@domct203
Years ago, I ordered a '65 Mustang, brand new, High Performance Package 289 Hi-Po, a "K" car. S/N was 5F07K284486.

Mobil 1 was the first synthetic to make an appearance, forget exactly when. My 289 at that time used almost no oil, 1/2 between changes, Texaco Havoline 10W-30.

So, I tried Mobil 1. Engine began burning it......2 qts in 3000 miles. Drained it out, went back to Havoline, no usage. I got a "bad taste" for synthetics therefore long ago. Just haven't gotten comfortable with them. The Hi-Po engine had a bit looser bearing fits, solid valve lifters, but nothing I could judge should have made such a change. imp
I’ve been using the Mobil 1 for about 6 years now in our 2012 Grand Caravan. I remember that the first change with Mobil 1, the engine ‘consumed’ about a quart over 3000 miles. From the next oil change on, I have not had that experience again. I change at 5000, and the level remains full between changes.

When I bought the X last year, I assume it had Dino oil. I did two changes with conventional oil, then once I knew there was nothing amiss with oil levels I switched to Mobil 1. I did not experience the same oil consumption as with the Caravan, and the truck seems to idle a bit quieter. With 127K on this SOHC, I change oil and filter at about 4000 miles with the synthetic.

I used to run mobile one extended, and change once a year. Usually around 18,000 miles. At 6 months I’d replace the filter and dump a quart in. When I changed it, it always had over 4 quarts in the crank.

I don’t think synthetics provide more than marginal protection over conventional, I just think it’s more amenable to extended changes.

I’m currently going 7500 mile intervals on both Mounty and Kia.

I decided to put HM Oil in the beast at 114K. I went with Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30. I can tell you without question that the motor runs quieter.. I had regular Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic previously.
I haven't heard the quick startup Chain rattle since I've switched..

I decided to put HM Oil in the beast at 114K. I went with Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30. I can tell you without question that the motor runs quieter.. I had regular Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic previously.
I haven't heard the quick startup Chain rattle since I've switched..
maybe more detergents to flush out? hmmm what is your OCI? curious.

I have a work vehicle that I drive provided by my job. It uses Valvoline Maxlife recommended by Ford or at least that's what they say at the Oil Change place I go to... I change it when the Van tells me which is like 8-10K
With the Explorer I do it myself but it go years between changes because I just don't drive it as much. This time it was 1 year and 3311 miles..

IMG_20220912_221942130_HDR.jpg

hmm interesting on the sohc engines imo id change every 6mo or so since overtime it degrades not cause of mileage but it gains acidity etc and sludges up, got a gm 4.2 <600 hours since 92 iirc, it was sludgey in the crankcase not horrendous but certainly not optimal. thats oil changed once a year.,the X gets it every few months usually maybe 3-4x a year every 3k or 6mo whichever comes first (always 3k lol) since for the tensioners clean oil means alot

2-3 years between oil changes is longer than recommended.

2-3 years between oil changes is longer than recommended.
i do wonder if that contributed to the timing rattle on that motor since old oil=more sludgey and acidic

Back