Switch lighting? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switch lighting?

dr fildo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mounaineer
Are the bulbs that light the rear de-fogger and the fog light switches on the right of the dash, just to the right of the radio, on a '99 replaceable, or would I have to get new switches?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bulbs are replaceable, but new bulbs will not be green, You need to remove the switch and take the old bulb out, They twist in, They're a very small specialty bulb. I bought some new bulbs from autoilluminations.com. I don't recall the bulb number (T8 or T10 maybe?). I'll warn you that the autoilluminations catalog is difficult to navigate. They do offer colored silicon bulb caps now.

Did you know your headlight switch also has a bulb? They're always burn out because they're on all the time.

the other thing you can do if your good with a soldering iron is get some 3mm or 5mm led's and resistors and put led's into them. you would have to find which is positive or negative to do this. you can also change your lighting to what ever colour you want. i did this with mine probably 10 years ago, and changed all the dash and switch lighting to blue. havent had one burn out yet

Are the bulbs that light the rear de-fogger and the fog light switches on the right of the dash, just to the right of the radio, on a '99 replaceable, or would I have to get new switches?
No one?

I already told you that the bulbs are replaceable.

Remove the radio, remove the radio bezel, unplug all the electrical connectors, unscrew the offending switch, look for a small twist out bulb base and turn it 1/4 turn to remove it. The base is part of the bulb. I've found replacement bulbs with the base, but some just find the bulb and reuse the old base, but that requires soldering.

In the pic below (not the clearest) note the small round circle near the left top front of each switch. That's the bulb.
s-l1600.jpg

The bulb needed looks like the image below, not sure about which size. They are listed ad T5, T3 and T4 (left to right) and are available in LED or incandescent bulbs.

neowedge_c_dims_wm.jpg
neowedge_a_dims_wm.jpg
neowedge_b_dims_wm.jpg

Instrument Panel Gauge Dashboard Colored Led Bulbs Lights Lamps

Sorry, I was having trouble with the website on my phone. Can't thank you enough.

Back