Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
I can only guess that there must be a valid reason for providing the tires. With 17k miles on your tires, you should be reimbursed 60% according to your Warranty Guide. Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Just hit 20K on my 2018 with the 20" Sport Package rims and took it in for oil change and tire rotation. Still have a little over 50% tread remaining according to Ford Service.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Just hit 20K on my 2018 with the 20" Sport Package rims and took it in for oil change and tire rotation. Still have a little over 50% tread remaining according to Ford Service.
I'm good for another season, but glad I can swap them for better tires.

My 2017 has the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 in 255/50R20 with 28k. They look like racing slicks, I was going to change them out in the next few weeks until....Monday morning I woke up to my front driver tire completely flat. I'm replacing all 4 this weekend with 255/50R-20 Michelin Defender LTX M/S XL tires from Tirerack. Link I would say the OEM Hankooks are the crappiest oem tires I've ever had but that designation goes to my 2008 Toyota Highlander that had tires that were smooth by 24,000 miles, replaced those with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires and got about 75,000 miles out of those!

Loving the Defenders too!

Brand new member. Discovered this site because of the satellite radio issue, but wanted to check in here, as well.

Yesterday, I had my first oil change at 9800 miles. While I was in the waiting area, the service writer came to me and said "We notice that you have the Hankook tires on your 2018. Those are falling apart for a lot of Explorer owners and only giving 12k to 15k of life. Since you are here under the 12K mark, I can put a brand new set of Pirellis on there for you for no charge, if you'd like."

If you'd like, he said! What a lucky break for me. He also told me that if I'd been in AFTER the 12K mark, the only thing he could've done was to give me Hankook's phone number and I could battle it out with them. Not sure how accurate that was but either way, I'm feeling pretty lucky about this.

Hopefully, most of you will get positive resolution to your tire issues as well.

timmy

Welcome to the Forum Timmy.:wave:
Having to "battle it out with them" isn't really accurate. See post #107. They could be replaced at a prorated cost or replaced as some members have had done by Hankook.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Timmy.:wave:
Having to "battle it out with them" isn't really accurate. See post #107. They could be replaced at a prorated cost or replaced as some members have had done by Hankook.

Peter
Hi, Peter. That's good to hear. I kinda scanned through this thread but after reading 9 pages of the SatRad issue, I was a little bit in "skim" mode. Glad things are working for the others. :)

Hey From Dallas! Have you cashed in on the Hankook tire debacle?

Hey fellas and ladies, Dallas TX checking in! We do love our 2018 Explorer Limited, it's a top-notch ride. Even for a guy at 6'6" I sit comfortably. Now, the gas tank would be my only complaint. It's too small!

As far as my title of this post, if you have Hankook tires, have you checked them recently? We recently had to have our 255/50R20 105H Ventus S1 Noble 2 with 16,300 miles replaced! They were worn evenly, but plumb wore out (measuring 4/32). I was beside myself! The guy at Discount tire didn't blink and filed for the proper tire warranty assistance so I was able to get new tires on our new vehicle.. but WHY? Why did the Hankook tires wear out so quickly? Why should I have to pay additional money to get tires on a vehicle with 16,300 miles? It's not a sports car with ultra soft compound tires, it's a family SUV for Pete's sake!

A quick glance on Tire Rack shows MANY others with the same problem. Apparently Hankook knows too.
"Special Service Message SSM 47195 to address 2015-2018 Explorer - Hankook Brand 20 Inch Tire - Tread Wear Tire Replacement."

I spoke to Ford to start, "...some 2015-2018 Explorer vehicles equipped with Hankook brand tires may exhibit tread wear that is not the result of vehicle alignment concerns. For customer satisfaction, Hankook is offering pro-rated tire replacement for vehicles with less than 36,000 Miles. This program is managed by Hankook Tire America Corp. and not claimed under Ford new vehicle limited warranty. If the tire side wall is marked as: 255/50R20 105H Ventus S1 Noble 2, contact Hankook Technical Service for possible pro-rated tire replacement..." You can tell Discount Tire and they'll know what to do, or file a consumer complaint with Ford so you can get a case number and take it to your local Ford Dealership service advisor so they can complete the process of getting your new tires and getting your family vehicle off of those dangerous tires.

I just wanted to let you guys, fellow Explorer Owners, this might be exclusive to 2018 Limited models, but none the less, it's important!

The tread wear rating will tell you how dense the rubber is. Some tires have a very low rating, so they wear out fast.
Probably not a tire they should be putting on as OEM equipment right!

image_1_696_13.jpg

Hey fellas and ladies, Dallas TX checking in! We do love our 2018 Explorer Limited, it's a top-notch ride. Even for a guy at 6'6" I sit comfortably. Now, the gas tank would be my only complaint. It's too small!

As far as my title of this post, if you have Hankook tires, have you checked them recently? We recently had to have our 255/50R20 105H Ventus S1 Noble 2 with 16,300 miles replaced! They were worn evenly, but plumb wore out (measuring 4/32). I was beside myself! The guy at Discount tire didn't blink and filed for the proper tire warranty assistance so I was able to get new tires on our new vehicle.. but WHY? Why did the Hankook tires wear out so quickly? Why should I have to pay additional money to get tires on a vehicle with 16,300 miles? It's not a sports car with ultra soft compound tires, it's a family SUV for Pete's sake!

A quick glance on Tire Rack shows MANY others with the same problem. Apparently Hankook knows too.
"Special Service Message SSM 47195 to address 2015-2018 Explorer - Hankook Brand 20 Inch Tire - Tread Wear Tire Replacement."

I spoke to Ford to start, "...some 2015-2018 Explorer vehicles equipped with Hankook brand tires may exhibit tread wear that is not the result of vehicle alignment concerns. For customer satisfaction, Hankook is offering pro-rated tire replacement for vehicles with less than 36,000 Miles. This program is managed by Hankook Tire America Corp. and not claimed under Ford new vehicle limited warranty. If the tire side wall is marked as: 255/50R20 105H Ventus S1 Noble 2, contact Hankook Technical Service for possible pro-rated tire replacement. Refer to FMCDealer.com Tire Page for details and Hankook contact information."

I just wanted to let you guys, fellow Explorer Owners, this might be exclusive to 2018 Limited models, but none the less, it's important!

Thank you for the heads up. I am having the same issue. I was looking at my tires and they are worn out as well. I have a 2017 Ford Explorer LTD with 23k miles and the same tires. I just checked. I will be talking to Ford Dealership about this as I have to take it in for oil change as well. I had a 2015 Explorer LTD with Hankook tires and they never did this.

Thank you for the heads up. I am having the same issue. I was looking at my tires and they are worn out as well. I have a 2017 Ford Explorer LTD with 23k miles and the same tires. I just checked. I will be talking to Ford Dealership about this as I have to take it in for oil change as well. I had a 2015 Explorer LTD with Hankook tires and they never did this.

Whoot!!! As long as I can help one person, this is worth it! Nice! Discount tire was quick to give credit using Hankook treadwear policy. You can actually 'CHAT' with Ford and get a case number before you go to the dealership. I was able to get about $800 off, but still had to pay $400, but all-in-all, happy my family is on new tires now and it's behind us.. other than my BBB complaint.

Shooot, I just ordered tires yesterday off TireRack for my 17 Explorer. I currently have the exact tire posted by the OP. I am going to reach out to ford and hankook.

Whoot!!! As long as I can help one person, this is worth it! Nice! Discount tire was quick to give credit using Hankook treadwear policy. You can actually 'CHAT' with Ford and get a case number before you go to the dealership. I was able to get about $800 off, but still had to pay $400, but all-in-all, happy my family is on new tires now and it's behind us.. other than my BBB complaint.

What did you actually tell Ford when you did a chat with them? How did you ask for a case number and able to get a discount on new tires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tell them you want to file a consumer complaint. They'll need your info, VIN and your mileage. Then you can tell them how your Hankook tires which came OEM on your Explorer are wearing prematurely even with proper care. They told me, "...I do see a Special Service Message SSM 47195 to address 2015-2018 Explorer - Hankook Brand 20 Inch Tire - Tread Wear Tire Replacement. To fill you in, some 2015-2018 Explorer vehicles equipped with Hankook brand tires may exhibit tread wear that is not the result of vehicle alignment concerns. For customer satisfaction, Hankook is offering pro-rated tire replacement for vehicles with less than 36,000 Miles. This program is managed by Hankook Tire America Corp. and not claimed under Ford new vehicle limited warranty.
In this case, I would suggest speaking to the Service Manager and mentioning this program."

I then asked for a case number. You can take that case number to the service advisor at your local helpful Ford dealership. In my case, I had already had them replaced at Discount Tire, and they knew exactly what to do, didn't even flinch. Afterwards, for good measure, I sent my local dealership the case number just for records etc.

Back