Water pump replacement - who can do? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump replacement - who can do?

Ourisman Ford of Alexandria, the place I bought the 2014 Explorer, just told me it would be $3,000 to replace the water pump. Thoughts?
I've gone through a couple of the threads on the water pump issue and $1500 - $1600 was quoted in them.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even 12 hours @ $110 an hr is $1,200, $115 water pump, $40 for coolant and a little odds and ends... $1,500 for a replacement is very fair and generous.

There's a Ford technician that started his own garage shop, he has a video showing a water pump replacement on a 3.5 or 3.7 Duratec engine. I think he said most dealers charge around $2000 for the job, and that he charges around $1250. Fordtechmakuloco is his YouTube name. Here's the video if you're curious about how this is done.

How long has it been? Over a year since they left the forums? Lately, I've seen more responses from Ford and dealers of the "pound sand" variety as already mentioned.

Auto manufacturers and dealers aren't exactly known for being upstanding, moral and ethical folks.

I never said it was common, just that ford does indeed step up.

Post from November last year shows Ford/dealer covered half the cost just by calling and being polite...

2014 Explorer Sport crankshaft position sensor

It does not hurt to ask. Especially with him having 3 other Fords.. Dealers get funds every 6 months to use on non warranty exceptions and the dealer can use as they see fit.

I never said it was common, just that ford does indeed step up.

Post from November last year shows Ford/dealer covered half the cost just by calling and being polite...

2014 Explorer Sport crankshaft position sensor

It does not hurt to ask. Especially with him having 3 other Fords.. Dealers get funds every 6 months to use on non warranty exceptions and the dealer can use as they see fit.
Thanks for the advise, blwnsmoke. I contacted Ford customer service and they were able to work with the service department at Ourisman to get my bill for replacement of the water pump down to $700.

Thanks for the advise, blwnsmoke. I contacted Ford customer service and they were able to work with the service department at Ourisman to get my bill for replacement of the water pump down to $700.

Great news, happy it worked out and you were able to save quite a bit.

Once your repair is complete and paid for, you should post up some docs/details so others can contact Ford and request the same treatment instead of being told to pound sand.

Once your repair is complete and paid for, you should post up some docs/details so others can contact Ford and request the same treatment instead of being told to pound sand.

Between 3 Ford purchases in 5 years, I expected them to do something. Ford coughed up some money, the dealership agreed to use some of their money.. and the customer paid a little.

Between 3 Ford purchases in 5 years, I expected them to do something. Ford coughed up some money, the dealership agreed to use some of their money.. and the customer paid a little.
“In God we trust; all others bring data.”

Back