Josh's 4 door 1st gen explorer crawler (SGT Ex) | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Josh's 4 door 1st gen explorer crawler (SGT Ex)

not only was the axle shaft broken, but one of the u joint caps had a yyuge crack in it. So u joint rebuild kit for that side was ordered. All the parts came in, so i got everything installed. This one is ready to go back in

4ttykuA.jpg

The zerk fittings on the passenger side axle were pretty shot, but the caps, clips, and cross were all in great shape. I reached out to Yukon this evening about the fittings, hoping to hear from them tomorrow. Should be able to get the new carrier bearings pressed on tomorrow, then thrash this weekend to get the ball joints, hub assembly, and pinion seal replaced, and the axle tubes cleaned out. After that, it's ready to go back together and set the backlash.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

new ball joints are installed and fit much better than before. I ended up having to "peen" the inside of the upper balljoint hole because the ball joint wouldn't grip anymore. I could pull it in and out of the hole by hand.

Omx2x1v.jpg

Also got the hub warrantied (Thanks Oreilly!) and was able to reuse the old bearings, but of course needed a new seal.

JWHX2Mk.jpg

The thing that took the majority of the time this weekend was trying to get the pinion off. I dunno who at Dana thought it would be a great idea to put a nightmare nut on the pinion, but that person needs a swift kick in the willy. After using the torch 4 times to heat the nut, turn about 5 turns, then repeat until it came off, the end of the threads on the pinion were destroyed.

I thought I was going to have to order a new set, but a buddy of mine with a lathe wanted to try and save it. he knocked down the edge just a bit, and we worked a die down it over and over until the threads came back.

W4MY5e2.jpg

Because the last 2 threads on the pinion were shot, and there was no way I was using the Dana supplied bolt to reinstall the pinion, I picked up a steel lock nut and we turned down 2 threads off the back of the nut.

2aSu98u.jpg

Now everything fits and tightens up as it should. I'll still use a liberal amount of red loctite on it, but I was so stoked to not have to drop another 230 bucks on a ring and pinion in a gear pattern i don't even like. Thanks to Border Parts for 1.) Being open on a Saturday and 2.) carrying Timken bearings and having an install kit available.

While cleaning up the front end, I noticed that the heim joint on the steering ram was bent, so I replaced that too. Thanks to Off Road Warehouse for having a good selection of American Made rod ends available on a Saturday as well.

fXAJzBf.jpg

6YTCvLH.jpg

Today after work we are setting up the gears and I should be able to put this thing back together.

I have been going to Border Parts since I could get into my Dad's truck without assistance. They seem to have a set of everything in that old rickety building.

Glad you got it all together. That old rod end body looks very thin, like it was made to bend.

I have been going to Border Parts since I could get into my Dad's truck without assistance. They seem to have a set of everything in that old rickety building.

Glad you got it all together. That old rod end body looks very thin, like it was made to bend.

I didn't think you followed this thread on here. haha

Yea Border Parts is awesome. I always forget about them even though I have one of their stickers right on my tool box.

I never was confident in that joint, but after seeing how bent it was, replacement was a must.

Last night was really productive. Ring and pinion setup, driver side all back together, and tonight I should have the the steering ram mounted and passenger side rebuilt. The new tougher rod end is thicker so I have to clearance the mount a bit. I'm only about a 16th out, so should be an easy fix.
bbX9YQw.jpg

2 more days until Truckhaven!

For those of you that seen Mark's post on YouTube or in the Truckhaven thread, or my post on IG or Facebook, you've seen the flop. For those of you that haven't, Sarge took another nap this weekend...

9XiSmu1.jpg

xEn9uD9.jpg

Ma58bMO.jpg
bSkGIX0.jpg

6oYP9ER.jpg

JP4qjRe.jpg

R8Sfr8f.jpg

96vEgBA.jpg

and the video:

I couldn't see ****, and poor Tom couldn't see that my passenger front tire was too far from the ledge, and over she went. I had time to back out, just ran out of talent as usual. I am getting a better familiarity with the rig out here in the desert and granite though, so hopefully this will not keep occurring, haha.

Good news is, only damage was a broken headlight and some wrinkles on the hood and side. Mirror actually folded in and was completely fine. No broken glass. For those of you that do not have a cage but are wheeling at the limits of a rig, invest now. The cage saved so much, not to mention my buddy and I climbed out unscathed. We flopped the truck back over, and 15 minutes later I was on the way back to camp. I think oil got on the MAF and the O2, but after a splash of carb cleaner and a generous amount of throttle on a hill climb, she ran awesome again. We were back out on the trail for a night ride.

the flop was only part of the trip though! Here is the rest of the trip report.

xbb1Zxa.jpg

Loaded up, headed out around 7 am, only to make it about an hour away and realize I forgot my wallet, So after turning around and so forth, I finally made it to the campsite shortly after noon.

On Friday afternoon, a few of us went playing around in the few little areas I know out here, and this was more of the shakedown after the whole front end rebuild.
Tz79a1C.jpg

N4rjukF.jpg

We headed over to the waterfall, where it proceeded to deny me (the first time) and since it was about 30 minutes after I got there, I was ok with leaving it for another day.

0etQecI.jpg

Was cool watching these rigs come down this though. Both rigs did very well with 33s and a locker in the rear.

Went back to camp, hung out for a bit, then before it starting getting too dark, we decided to go check out the Calcite Mine area. I'd never been and it was a great beginner trail to a GORGEOUS view of Ocotillo Wells.
UriA0fJ.jpg

IRl4tF6.jpg

4jaLqQT.jpg

bgB8ldD.jpg

hi2Ax0W.jpg

oIBYCr8.jpg

I still have that hood for you, and it looks like you can use it...lol.

b0can8W.jpg

wyr9llQ.jpg

it was at this point that I realized the inner axle seal was leaking

as you can start to see from the pictures, it was getting dark, and fast. So we started heading back towards camp. I have no idea how far it is, but it was pitch black by the time we got there.

Pictures from the night run came out like ****, so no pics from that. we basically played around in all the mud hills and notches and tried to get the trucks all flexied out except for the blue Explorer and the FJ, both of them decided to do the 3 wheel wave multiple times

11.10.18 - Marine Corps 243rd birthday
Jack in the box egg rolls for breakfast, then it was time to get on the trail after all the divas in their RVs woke up (I'm just jealous, not hatin)

We all hit the trail around 930 with one of the other EF guys and his "Navajo" that I have now dubbed the Hotrod. The mustang parts came after his wife rolled it and destroyed the front clip, and he found it super cheap on craigslist.
HoJxpcy.jpg

I seen this thing at KOH last year and thought it was ugly as sin. After seeing it close up, its very cool. It also helps that it sounds like a muscle car

The whole group (except the hotrod due to his lightbar) went through the arches which were really cool, and then we decided to just go explore some washes and stuff
VeKGRKB.jpg

7GHVfXW.jpg

U0jfGm2.jpg

cJq0Phv.jpg

uX6JBgN.jpg

u06jrTM.jpg

l5mVBsU.jpg

things were going great! All the trucks were doing well, and we went into this little tight canyon where the FJ decided to get REAL close to the wall. The owner preferred to keep his relatively shiny black paint that way, so I thought I would help
VrPwyQM.jpg

After only receiving minor scratches-ish, the FJ made it through unscathed.
qpTN5nT.jpg

Next was my turn to play, and I decided going up this little booger
6JtpSXI.jpg

UH7nNGI.jpg

FauI5Xt.jpg

Then we headed down some random wash to find a great little drop down...
rWUefsV.jpg

IkdNRxk.jpg

71btwzr.jpg

after a good amount of confidence brewing, it was time to hit ol Waterfall again...

k3k8JoW.jpg

y3sramP.jpg

B9A92Kw.jpg

After multiple tries, y'all seen what happened. It was so close I knew if I made it past that first ledge I'd walk it, I didn't want to give up with how close I was getting. Definitely on my list next time I go out there, this time with less air, I think it'll go. If not, at least I know how to get it flopped back over if it doesn't

I still have that hood for you, and it looks like you can use it...lol.

So... you planning on coming to San Diego-ish area anytime soon? haha

So... you planning on coming to San Diego-ish area anytime soon? haha

Nope, and with the truck still needing a new fuel pump, even if I did, it probably wouldn't fit in anything else. It's just sitting here though.

Nope, and with the truck still needing a new fuel pump, even if I did, it probably wouldn't fit in anything else. It's just sitting here though.

If you dont mind holding on to it until the next event, I'd appreciate it. If not, I understand if you gotta part ways with it to get it out of your way.

No mention about the Saturday night run and how we walked up C-clip Hill? I have been driving past that for years and pointed it out to Josh as I drove past. I hear "Wait a minute" on the CB so I turn around to watch SgtEx cruise up it like she is looking for a parking spot at the mall. I followed and it was one of the easier hills we went up that night. The back side was interesting as well. No way anyone seeing those tracks would think it was two Explorers. It was a great time.

No mention about the Saturday night run and how we walked up C-clip Hill? I have been driving past that for years and pointed it out to Josh as I drove past. I hear "Wait a minute" on the CB so I turn around to watch SgtEx cruise up it like she is looking for a parking spot at the mall. I followed and it was one of the easier hills we went up that night. The back side was interesting as well. No way anyone seeing those tracks would think it was two Explorers. It was a great time.

I was hoping you would bring it up since I had no idea what the name of that hill was.

HWTdiZD.jpg

gsx5mLu.jpg

Only two pics i got of the post-flop evening run. You forgot your response to my "wait a minute".... wasn't 2 seconds after I said that I hear "NOPE!" right back at me. Then I proceeded to ignore Brian and went up it anyway. we get to the top and I see him cruising right up it like there was a soccer game at the top! I'm just glad it was dark so he would actually try it :D

If you dont mind holding on to it until the next event, I'd appreciate it. If not, I understand if you gotta part ways with it to get it out of your way.
No worries. If I know someone heading down that way, I'll send it. And likewise on your side I'd hope.

No worries. If I know someone heading down that way, I'll send it. And likewise on your side I'd hope.

yessir! You're in San Fernando area right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of these days I will be there to Truck Haven. You all look like you have so much fun. Might not do all that you do @josh40601 but still looks like a ton of fun. I really miss being out on the trails.

Back