• Register Today It's free!

Misfire at startup--94 XLT

RustyMacintosh

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4 Exploder
When I bought this Ford, the PO was told it had a possible cracked head. 4.0 OHV 210k. I bought it with my eyes open.

Usually every morning upon startup, it will misfire for a moment--maybe 20 seconds or so then it smooths out. Usually after starting, by the time you get out of the front seat, back to the exhaust you can feel a smooth flow.

It has lately become more noticeable and upon startup even after sitting for only an hour or so, I did find early on #6 was wet in the morning with coolant.

I assume--the PO tech (who turned out to be a smog guy) is right. It may have a cracked head. Someone also suggested that it is a head gasket. Now yesterday just prior to breaking the door handle on the drivers' side, it was also suggested that the intake manifold is leaking at #6.

Since I mainly am an OHC owner (have 6 now) and have been having a whole lotta fun this summer yanking motors out to do chains and guides, this 94 was a fluke buy. Price was right ($400), PO has spent a whole lotta money on new parts, such as Transmission, tires, brakes, radiator, AC and so on. Then she gave up.

I have put 4500 miles on it, with the misfire each morning. Now that it is getting worse, what to do,

1. Have shop pull and replace the intake manifold?
2. Headbaskets?
3. Swap in used heads? (Rebuilt heads locally are upwards to $900 plus install.)
4 Low mile used motor off a site such as Ebay (LKQ)

Those of you diehards that own the 1st Gens advise me.

215k, uses no oil or if it does it is sooooo minimal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Intake manifold gaskets are super easy compared to the sohc or god-forbid, the V8. As for the coolant issue. it's more likely a head gasket issue than a cracked head, but either way you still would need to pull the heads to be sure. Go level two, probably take you about 4 hours and then decide from there.

My quandary is this, I have an 88k+ used motor sitting in the back of my Nissan 4x4 truck. I bought it for $500--no core or anything right after I bought this Ex XLT from the PO lady.

This engine in this instance has almost 216 on it. But the PO was the OO who took very good care of the whole ride. The engine sounds good. No timing chain slap, no upper valve train noise...etc etc etc.

I can have the heads pulled--along with having them tested. I was led to understand that the 4.0 OHV is prone to crack heads. Money wise, If I go to the degree of pulling heads, then why not go all the way and swap in this used OVH motor.

Today, is, fixing that stupid plastic clip that the locking rod connects to so I can install a new outer latch. I did order a new panel for the handle, probably later this week.

Then just swap the engine.

What year is the donor engine from? The $500 one...

You can always try some head gasket sealer, as a temporary fix? Some of the better head gasket fix it stuff can buy lots of time on a slow leaking OHV 4.0.......
I usually go the swap engine route simply because once you go head gasket job the wallet just keeps getting thinner...with a used engine most of the time you know what you are getting.....

93...XLT 4x4 from Oregon--I trust the source supposed
to have about 85-88k on it, it is a lower 48, to swap it out I need my intake and EGR otherwise the ECC on my 94 will be looking for the EGR. Mine is a 10/94 build, probably one of the last 1st gens made

I tried liquid glass earlier this summer, the same stuff that RedDevil head gasket sealer uses, worked for about 3500 miles, today after fixing the door latch plastic clip it started up after sitting for 24 hours, no misfire.

go figure

Back