leveling kit question for my 97!! Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

leveling kit question for my 97!! Help!

Sam Mondragon

Reaction score
City, State
Hailey ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ford Explorer xlt
Hi guys! New here with some newbie questions! I just bought a wheel and tire combo and leveling kit from 4wheelparts.com ( pro comp extreme 7069, 15x8 with extreme MT2 tire 31x10.5x15)

Wondering if anyone here has a similar setup and if so do your wheels rub?

If I install a 2 inch leveling kit, do I need anything for the back (shackles?)

Thx guys, anything will help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your leveling kit should include rear shackles and then a torsion twist for the front end??

That is considered a leveling kit or 1.5-2" lift, what did they sell you?
Do not run rear add a leaf, shackles are better
Torsion twist up front can be done with the factory bolts usually and no torsion key is needed

0588797D-C1B0-4DC0-B4A6-0DEF55D11901.png
Your leveling kit should include rear shackles and then a torsion twist for the front end??

That is considered a leveling kit or 1.5-2" lift, what did they sell you?
Do not run rear add a leaf, shackles are better
Torsion twist up front can be done with the factory bolts usually and no torsion key is needed
Thx for getting back.

This is what I bought. The sales rep said this was all I needed

COIL SPACER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your truck does not have coils......it uses torsion bars
"The Rep" from 4wheelparts sold you the wrong stuff and deserves a lesson in Fords......

Here is the part number you bought for $103
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/pro-comp-2-inch-leveling-lift-kit-plf09101/_/R-DFCW-PLF09101

Those are coil spring spacers for a JEEP and this is only a front lift
I would cancel that order and just get some shackles for the back, lots of info about good shackles to use here on the explorer forum (EF)
For the front use the search bar here on EF and search "torsion twist"

Warrior 153 will give around 1.25-1.5" in rear.

I used 153s and Procomp Explorer 13120 AAL in the rear. You will get around 2.5". Then do TT on the front to match - though I would suggest setting the front to slightly lower than the rear, as the AAL may settle, and you want a little bit of rake for load carrying so that the rear isn't sagging below the front whenever you put something in the back

Back