V8 swap thread discussion | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 swap thread discussion

jah, I have a 2002 Ex Sport mfg before 2/2002 that I am swapping a 2000Ex 5.0 into. I have both vehicles and I see that you have done extensive r&r on your project. What do I need to do to get this wired right before I assemble this. I am a little confused about what you did.
Give me a call (pm me for the number) and I will talk you through it. This will make it much easier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After reading all this does anyone want to finish my swap? My brain is taxed.
Throw it on a trailer and I will finish. Central Alabama is where I live-it'll cost you for my time but will be happy to do it.

Sorry to get back to you so late. I haven't been around a computer. My name is Paul LaVine. My cell # is ***-***-****.

Heck yeah if I was closer I would help too!
Good to see people doing projects together here from the Explorer forum!

OK, if I can't talk to a member by phone how do I communicate besides this forum?

Its called a PM, that stands for private message.
You click on a users name and a pop up shows, then look for "start a conversation"

When I did mine, I literally gutted the V8... and refitted EVERYTHING into my sport shell, even have the harnesses for rear doors that don't exist. I found that to be the easier way.

Si

blueka, what model v8 ex did you use. I have a 2000 Limited model that has all the bells and whistles that I don't need. It just convoluted things.

I used a 2000 V8 limited, I carried over all the bells and whistles. check out my pickle registry

Si

Si, I just read that entire blog. Are you back in Canada with Pickle?

No, sadly.
Looking at getting it shipped to England around April next year.

My plans to return to Canada didn't work out

Si

I’ve considered using all of the harnesses from the donor vehicle if I were to swap in a rebuilt 5.0. I figure it’s easier than trying to repin everything from my OHV.

I’ve considered using all of the harnesses from the donor vehicle if I were to swap in a rebuilt 5.0. I figure it’s easier than trying to repin everything from my OHV.
It was so much easier for me as I'm colourblind. So essentially a plug n play swap

Si

It was so much easier for me as I'm colourblind. So essentially a plug n play swap

Si

I can relate with that. I’m not colorblind, in fact I’m not even sure exactly what my condition is. But I have a hard time distinguishing between certain colors. I’m glad it worked out for you. I’d like to have a 5.0 someday too. I’d prefer a swap since I doubt I’ll find another X like mine.

there is a big plug under the hood of all 96+ Explorers and Rangers, its called the C115, 42 pin plug.
This plug contains all of the wires that talk from drivetrain to truck
This is where the magic happens
If you were to build a map,
list all 42 pin locations for your truck
Then
List all 42 pins from the donor
It will become clear that only a few wires might need to be eliminated or move locations or be added to make the truck happy with the new 5.0 drivetrain
Aside from the wiring here there are only a few other small things to be addressed, like the starter and alternator harness and the AC switch wiring. You should not have to swap anything else around, no dash harness, no underhood harness, no body harness, etc.
The C115 plug is the key to all OBD2 fords 96-01!!!

410, I'll put some pics on of my wiring. I have a new issue with my swap. It's the rack and pinion. The rack in the 2002 Sport has power steering lines that are held in with a stud and retainer which is different from the 2000 EX rack that has thread in lines. Now I have to remove both racks and swap to get the correct power steering lines to work.

there is a big plug under the hood of all 96+ Explorers and Rangers, its called the C115, 42 pin plug.
Then
It will become clear that only a few wires might need to be eliminated or move locations or be added to make the truck happy with the new 5.0 drivetrain
Aside from the wiring here there are only a few other small things to be addressed, like the starter and alternator harness and the AC switch wiring. You should not have to swap anything else around, no dash harness, no underhood harness, no body harness, etc.
I had to do a repin on my oil pressure sensor wire (used the 4.0 Sohc engine bay harness as v8 was damaged )

Si

Then

Cool. I don’t have ford manuals so I’m not sure what my pin configuration is. But I’ll look into it. I’ve read that the speedometer has to be repined too. Does altering the c115 accomplish that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2001 sohc 4.0 sport trac 4wd. My donor vehicle is a 2000 5.0 explorer eddie bauer. I believe it is AWD, did not see any selectors, like in my truck for 2wd, 4hi, 4low, so Im guessing my ST will be awd when completed. Question is isn’t the awd controlled in each differential? Also are there eddie bauer models that are not awd/4wd. I just got a 10 minute quick show of the explorer in pouring rain, will try and look underneath today.

Back