stalling? on hard/aggressive right turns (4.6l) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stalling? on hard/aggressive right turns (4.6l)

bdmaash

Reaction score
City, State
YYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07, V8 4x4 Ltd
I'm not sure if it is stalling or binding in the drivetrain but
when I take a super aggressive right turn (high speed, probably large steering angle) the motor chokes out as if it ran into a brick wall. Left turns - never noticed symptom (maybe left turns are usually wider).

anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very interesting....
I hate to say it but we have a 1998 Explorer here in our fleet (worlds apart from your 07, this one here is a 98 5.0L V8, 4x4) and it cuts out on hard left turns
We have tried everything including dropping the fuel tank to check the interior baffling/sump
Been fighting this for years with this truck still does it sometimes?
Fuel psi checks out, all systems in good running order and it still does this.
I have heard from one other source that it could be a programming issue in the PCM from Ford, that they actually had an update for this problem, something about the computer sees a weird fuel trim,EVAP system, moment and it screws with the computer causing the loss of power for a moment?
I know these trucks have a gyro-meter on them maybe that has something to do with it

Do you get any check engine light when this happens?

no check engine lights,
gyro (is that the tip over - senses roll over and cuts engine) I suppose I could bypass the fuel cutoff (tip over) and see if it still happens - won't be doing that for a bit though.
As far as PCM, both PCM and TCM were reflashed to latest available a month or two ago, and it still does it
(I killed the communication between the PCM and TCM with some settings, so the re-flash)

Interesting idea with the inertia switch. Have not tried changing it out on our 98, but we did check that it is working........maybe it has an intermittent issue.
We have already changed the relay, fuse, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, filter, sending unit and fuel tank.........

Is the traction control turned off ? If you have the wheel turned and the tires start to spin, it will completely cut the throttle until you straighten the wheel and let off.

Traction control is always on. - is the engine kill a function of the traction control?

I suppose the wheel may have spun - never heard them spin though, but the front end does nosedive in the process (maybe just suspension compression on the hard turn)
Of course this is controllable, by not taking right turns so hard.

Yes T/C is always on.
Single press is a small percentage defeat. Long press until it flashes for more.
Pull the fuse for complete disable.

Back