Adventure trailer build thread. | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rated "I/A" for Immature Adult content! Stop, and close this page if you can't handle Silly, foul, and obnoxious adult content!

Intro:
This is not a common build here on this forum, but this build is part of another long term build, that has been going on for 10 years now. I feel it is fitting to share this build here, since so much of it's companion is documented on EF. This thread is as detailed as my patience has allowed. I want to be able to help others that might be searching for methods/ideas, and "how to" for much of the build. I do belong to other Overland forums, and will link this thread from them, to share with others.

About:
This trailer is a short compact, stout, capable, high clearance, Swiss army knife of a camper. It is not a popup camper, nor is it a sleep in hard shell camper. It will offer all the creature comforts those do, but in a little different fashion. This style trailer, makes you enjoy the outdoors. You cook/dine, lounge & hot shower outside, but you sleep inside a roomy insulated roof top tent, 78" off the ground.

The tow rig:

The Black Hole

The entire build for the tow rig, has always been with this build in mind, and it has been extremely difficult to keep that to myself, and why it was built the way it was. It is a purpose build, with a specific objective.

The Objective:
To be the living quarters and storage, for off the beaten path journeys yet to come.
To have everything needed to sustain myself, and a few others, out in the middle of nowhere, only accessible by unpaved trails, such as old mining roads. Hauling all the boondocking gear behind, instead of overloading the vehicle's suspension. To minimize setup and tear down times for camping, and have camping items readily accessible, whenever needed.

The trailer needs to be capable of following wherever the tow rig goes. Matching tires, axle width, and the same, if not more height clearance as the tow rig. Sleeping & shelter for 4 comfortably, sustainable cold food storage, food prep space, gas powered cooking, AC/DC power supply, and hot showers for days at a time, are all the requirements for this build.

Goal:

This is the other half of that long term build plan. I am slow at the building and fabricating process, and this will take about a year to complete. Updates will happen as the build progresses. I have entered the 7th month of the build, and expect another 3-4 months left to get it road worthy at the least. Just like anything I have done, it never ends, and improvements will happen, as I gain experience & knowledge with what works best for me.

Baby steps:

This is the first time I have ever attempted anything like this. I am bound to make mistakes, and corrections/improvements are all but a guarantee. I do have a final vision for what I want this to be, as it has been a thought process for many many years now. Please bear with me as this thread goes. Some items won't make sense until it comes to be. I am not going to tell you how things should be done. I am just sharing how I did things on this build. Agree/disagree, like it or leave it, it's mostly a learning experience by mixing what I know, and what I had to learn, to get things as I want them. Definitely not for everybody. Heck, I know I will change things down the road, as I find ways to improve on it. That is part of the fun!

Why am I building this?
I'm Tired of ground tent camping all my life. Tired of the time it takes to set up & tear down. Tired of all the tedious packing, unpacking, moving things from place to place after every trip. Plus, I don't want a motor home that can't leave the roads.
I plan on getting lost a few times, venturing out to places unknown and unseen. We live in a large, beautifully gifted geographical location on the planet. Our own back yard is filled with amazing spectacles. Places that can only be seen on dirt trails, off the beaten paths, not by roads covered in pavement, and delivery trucks. Exploring into the dark hours of the night, and setting camp in the middle of nowhere, instead of heading back. We can traverse a lot of ground this way.

Kudos:

A few friends helped with this build, and I couldn't have got as far as it is without them. Special thanks to James, Matt, Kurt, Ryan, & Jacob. You guys rock!

A warning from the author:

This thread contains: Long drawn out boring tedious explanations, Dry humor, embarrassing anecdotes, speech in the 3rd person, countless pictures, and some content is for Mature audiences. There is a little for everybody here, but be warned, this is not your typical build thread, and not from your typical builder. I am not responsible for your emotional mood swings, due to reading this material. ;)

Edit: Progress pics as of 10/15/18. Getting closer every day!

Dr washed.jpg

RTT on front pass side full view.jpg

First real use!

Camp set 1.jpg

Camp set 2.jpg

Bat wing awning up.jpg

Current specs:
Main Frame- 12'.5"L x 48"W
Whopping 25" of ground clearance with 35" tires
Fenders- 72" Long x 14.00" Wide tapered to 0.00" in front
Cabin- 48"W x 72"L x 36"H
Overall Width - 76"
Overall Height - 68" Roof Rack lowered - 78" Roof Rack lifted
Overall Height- 80" With RTT stowed - 140" RTT open & rack lifted
Dry weight- 2300#'s

2"x3"x3/16" Steel Tube Frame, with 1 pc center tongue beam from front to rear.
3500 Lb Timbren Axleless Independent suspension
10" Electric brakes
35"x12.5" Goodyear MTR's w/kevlar & matching spare
15"x10" Mickey Thompson black satin aluminum wheels
Lock N Roll off road articulating Hitch
14 Ga steel cabin walls & roof
3/4" Ply floor, stained, sealed, & 5 topcoats of acrylic gloss clear
Commercial 60 Mil Waterproof TPO membrane under belly skin
12 Ga steel Fenders on Sq frame & 2" x 3/16" Round slider tubes
Spare tire mount on cabin front
16 Ga swing out 4'W x 2'D x 24"H Tapered Tongue box
16 Ga Side boxes with Tapered front compartments
Telescoping Roof rack (12") with scissor jack actuation
Two rear 31" BAL C leveling jacks & swivel plate base
Dual 5K swivel weld ring flat plate base Tongue jacks
ARK dual wheel offroad 750 HD Tongue jack
Slider system for hidden Solar panel storage
Dual 11 lb Propane tank storage mounts
Quick Disconnect Water supply
All Stainless & Aluminum hardware, where applicable

Interior:
Front compartment 48"Wx24"Lx36"H
Two side doors, and upper 12 ga shelf with expanded metal rear wall
Rear Compartment 48"Wx48"Lx36"H
3/4" PT wood flooring, custom finish, clear satin marine topcoats.
Tie downs on frame tubes
1-60W Led rear cabin, 3-10w Led front cabin
Wiring plumbed with flex and hard conduit
Split cabin with full rear cabin deck, tie down racks

Power:
Dual Group 31 MAGM deep cycle 110 AH batteries
110 shore
100W Renogy Solar
Charge:
NOCO Marine 110v 20 amp onboard Dual smart charger
30 amp Renogy MPPT Solar charger
140 amp traveling vehicle charge, via smart charger
Soon to come: 40 amp-500 watt DC-DC charger from alternator
Portable Valence 80Ah Lifepo4 Solar Gen w/inverter

Accessories:
4 season 23Zero 73" Walkabout RTT W/ large Annex room - telescopic ladder w/rung pads- Ext shoe bags-Led lights- 3" thick x Ca King mattress w/anti condensation mat.
Oversized high density 3" thick 56" x 96" mattress. Cold weather cover, additional secondary rain fly.
Rhino Rack 8.5' Bat Wing 270* Wrap around Awning (2019 version)
5Liter - 1.5 gpm - On demand instant hot water heater
ARB/ViAir 150 psi onboard air system
Ready Welder II
Slide out Kitchen/storage- 1/2" Baltic Birch, sealed/stained/clear coats 350# slides
ICECO VL45 portable fridge/freezer - AC/DC
Custom powder coated locking Fridge slide out.
Wireless controlled winch (upper roof rack storage, rear bumper hitch receiver)
Rear door interior fold down table
Dual 11 lb propane tanks (rear fender mounted)
Marine control panel, rocker switches w/circuit breakers, 12v battery meter, Aux outlets
30 gallon fresh water tank & 3.0 gpm instant on pump w/ inline filter
Trailer Harness Connection lock box
First Aid field kit (large)
Dual Fire Extinguisher's

LED Lighting:
Front- 2-45w dual pods w/amber fogs
Sides- 4-18w pods
Rock- 4-10w blue IP 67
Cabin- 1-60w 3 setting round rear compartment ceiling fixture, 3-10w pods front compartment
Tails/brakes/turns- 30w 6" oval
Reverse- 30w 6" oval
Markers- 3w red & amber
7 pin RV trailer harness & J box

Tongue box build:
Full box tube frame & 16 ga sheet, w/plate and tube gussets
Dual battery mount tray
Red oak Shelf for Noco dual 20 amp charger, 20amp solar charger, 12v systems (3) circuit breakers, fuse panel, main power cutoff switch
3 space divider walls & front storage shelf
Gas lift struts, 2"x 3/16" thick Aluminum lid hinge
Dual SS locking paddle latch handles
Dual 4" SS louvered vents w/bug screens
Pass thru power cord outlet with weatherproof door hatch
NOCO 110v wall power plug w/ weatherproof cover
2k locking latch to frame, & dual 7/16" clevis pins to frame
5/8" spindle for swivel action, for spare tire removal/security

Paint:
Frame- Chassis saver gloss black
Cabin Exterior- Acid etch primer & Single stage Gloss Black automotive 2k urethane
Cabin Interior- SW DTM Gloss White
Side & T boxes, All doors- Urethane Epoxy primer & Single stage Gloss Black 2k Urethane
Roof rack- Chassis saver gloss black
Fenders-Acid etch primer underneath & Urethane base topside, Black Raptor liner w/grip additive

Trim: Aluminum

Lots to add to that list up there, and I will as the build progresses. :)

I hope you enjoy the thread, as much as I have enjoyed the build itself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I screwed up.

I was surfing FB a week ago, and did a knee jerk reaction without thinking. I "Accidentally" bid on a set of these cool dual 45 watt pod lights. An hour passed, and I forgot all about it, as the bid was low, and I have watched these climb and climb up until the last minute. I figured I didn't have a chance. Wrong........

They contacted me, and told me I won. The price was 1/3 less than what they sell them for. Good deal for some quality lights, but dang it, I didn't expect to win them! lol

Now I have to figure where to use them. On the tow rig (has plenty of lights as is), or on the trailer? If on the trailer, one in front, and one in back? Both facing rear, or both front? I already have 2 pods on both sides facing sideways. Hmm.....

Specs:
• Power: 45W
• Output(Forward): 5000 Lumens per pair
• Color: 6000K
• Voltage Required: 12-24V
• Outside Material: Aluminum
• Impact Resistant Lens
• Mounting Bracket Included
•Weather Rating: IP68
• Life 30,000 Hours
• LED Chip Size: 7 X 5W each
• Housing Size: 3.5" Tall x 3.25" Wide x 3.125" Deep

These are 3 lights in one. 30w white front, 15w amber sides, and they have a random strobe feature. Ok, so here is where I am lost. No directions came with these. There is 2 power leads, and one ground. So two switches needed, one for white, and one for amber.

I used my 12v power source and tested them. Both lights work, and are bright as the sun, but.... how the heck is the strobe feature used? You would think with a feature like that, they would have included some kind of directions. Sheesh. Guess I have to call them.

Zues dual pods amber.jpg

I was so mad at myself for winning these, I left FB, and haven't been back since. :angryfire:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Forgot to post this little dealio for @BKennedy to see.

These little UWS rod connectors for the paddle latches on the Tongue box. 1/4" alum rod, cut to length, inserted in these, and a simple Allan head set screw with a pointed tip, digs into the rod, for a tight connection. Connects two latches together, and when you open one, the other opes as well.

View attachment 163976 View attachment 163977
Thanks for the pictures. I looked on the inside of my RV storage doors and the back side of the latches are covered, but it would not be that hard to expose them. I just need to figure out if its worth all the work.

Down to these two name choices.

SHADOW BOX

VS
NIGHT SHADE
Might take me another 3 months to decide. lol

You could just call it "The Trailer"

You could just call it "The Trailer"

Been calling it that for a year now. It's too generic, and I feel like a soul less *******, talking to it that away.

I want it to have a normal life in the trailer society, and fit in like a healthy inanimate object should.

I can call stuff for what it is at home, not out in public.

A computer, or a kitchen blender has a serial number. An inmate has a number. The household furniture is called for what it is.

A vehicle has a VIN number.

A vehicle that your passionate for, also has VIN, or what I call it...
A Vehicle Identification Name. A family member has a name.

How do you identify it in a crowd? Imagine your favorite band, being called "That Band", or your favorite movie called "That movie".

Just because I talk to my possessions, doesn't make me crazy (does it?), it just means I have a heart. :p

Now where did that damn dog go?

DOG!......................... DOG!...................HERE DOG!................ C0ME TO HUMAN!

Been researching for the kitchen build. Found what I want. This is a company out of Australia, but they don't sell over here. I would buy this unit in a heartbeat if it was. I will use this unit as the base idea for mine. They are pretty much a glorified Chuck box, but with a few extras. Drifta is an Outback Overlanding company, and has a great Bizz philosophy. I would support them in an instant if possible.

They have a smaller unit that would be plug in play, but even if they shipped here, the cost would be pretty high I imagine. Our Dollar is stronger than theirs right now, as $1000 AUS is only $750 USD (aprox), so maybe it would be worth it. I sent them an email asking if they have, will, or do ship here.

I think the fridge will be going in the front compartment, and slide out sideways. If I can get it to work with a slide base. Bottom of the door width is narrow, because they was built around the fenders. I would need to make a base about 6" high to work. This opens up one half of the rear compartment for storage of gear. With the fridge in the back, next to the kitchen, I lose all the easy accessible space behind the fridge. That space could utilize a fresh water tank, but all that weight on the same side is a no go. Rather have the water tank up front, sharing the lower half of the front compartment.

Edit:
Drifta sent my email to them, to the only supplier they use on this side of the world. They are in Vancouver BC. They say they ship to a MN hub, then use a smaller freight to my door. The costs are three times what Drifta sells them for by the time I would get it. I would also have to figure out how to pay the sales tax in MN, before they would release it.

That's not even the big issue. They only order & receive these 3 times a year, and only order what is paid for in advance. If I order/pay one next week, it arrives in April. If I order/pay next month, it arrives next September!!

Time to by some more tools, and get to making my own. Par for the Course with me!!

Lol, no.

Had a conversion van in the early 90's. That's what we called it. Electric fold down bed, and a bar on the inside of the back doors. Pull down privacy blinds, and surround mood lighting.

Man, I miss that thing.

I too talk to vehicles, but only the Explorer and the boat, OK sometimes the RV. They have more personality than most vehicles. It seems that when I personalize a vehicle, the process creates an emotional attachment. The boat was personalized mostly by my Father which makes it very special to me. The RV was/is personalized by both my Father and myself. The Explorer...I think I have been over nearly every inch of that thing in the past 24 years. My daughter was a baby when we got it, now she is graduating college next month. It is part of our family. It has been a source of joy and sorrow, pleasure and pain. It has been totaled twice and both times brought back to life. All of that creates an emotional bond with a completely inanimate object that has gotten me into some incredible places and back. Sometimes on a flat-bed tow truck, but it has made it back. I feel you, Gman.

Lol, no.

Had a conversion van in the early 90's. That's what we called it. Electric fold down bed, and a bar on the inside of the back doors. Pull down privacy blinds, and surround mood lighting.

Man, I miss that thing.

We used to call them Stabbin Cabins.

How about Samfries Gumcheese? ..like Samwise Gamgee, but not spelled the same.. because, you know.."I will go anywhere with you Mr. Frodo"

How about.... No thanks, you can hold the cheese, and how about, not posting and deleting later on, screwing up post counts? Eh?

:salute:

Have to make my own kitchen slide out. Twas a pipe dream, thinking I could just buy one.

Dear Santa:

Gman needs a new table saw, a new router (w/bits), and lots of big wood clamps.

P.S. I haz cookies, I haz milk, but can get whisky if preferred.

Trailer stuffing for Turkey day...

A Ridgid Hybrid 475 cfm 10" fan. Runs off the 18v batteries or an extension cord.

Ridgid Batt Fan.jpg

22" Ridgid case. IP67, with lid gasket, parts bin case stacked & locked on top.

Husky 750 Lumen Led light & Usb charger for the 18v tool batteries

stacked & locked Ridgid boxes.jpg

Ridgid parts tray box top.jpg

Pelican style cases IP67
22 in Pelican cases.jpg

Finally got the battery charge cable hooked up and ready to connect to the tow rig. Added the chains, but have to shorten them a bit.

Chains & charge cable on tongue tube.jpg

Swapped the glass 100 amp fuse for a 100 amp circuit breaker, for the incoming power from the rig to batteries. I like the on/off with a push of a button on these things, plus don't have to replace them if they pop. Now every major circuit has one of these.

All 3 100 amp circuit breakers t box.jpg

I have a handheld 40 channel Midland CB I carry for a spare. I decided to use the stuff I already had, and add it to the trailer. The CB will be held in one of those knock off brand pelican cases from Harbor Freight, and in a side box. It has multiple power hookups, with rechargeable batteries, or a 12v plug in. It also has it's own antennae, but also has an plug in for a regular coax antennae. I mounted the 5 ft firestick to the rack upright. It sticks up past the tent by about 1.5 ft. I need a HD spring for it still. Just have to plug in for power, and connect the coax, and ready for use if needed at base camp. One day I will get a handheld Ham and license for it.

Pardon the plastic and drops. I covered it to keep it clean while working near it.

CB Ant installed.jpg

For when we are kicking back at camp, and it's pitch black out, I got 8 mini pod lights that change color, and has a remote. They can dim, motion sensor, timers, and might change a tire if asked nice. I attached rare earth magnets to them, and can move them around where ever I want. They will be stored away when not in use.

mini pods blue.jpg

mini pods red.jpg

They do Green & bright white too.

Last but not least, I made the control panel cover. All Aluminum frame and alum tread plate, alum rivets, stainless hinge and screws/bolts. Used a mini fulcrum latch, and had to make my own bracket to the box for it.

Open

Control box cover open.jpg

Closed

Control box cover closed.jpg

I plan on making a switch ID label, laminate it, and attach to the back side of the cover.

Dear Santa...... Please send Elves with wood working tools, and have them help me build the camp kitchen. I still haz cookies and bourbon for you. K, thanks.

bah humbug baby.jpg

Only about 70% done. Going to be a while before any real use happens. Interior build is over the winter, and shooting for early spring for maiden voyage.

Long list of items to do still. I need time to earn, and save for most of them.

I wish I had the extra cheese to just finish it all at once, but I threw the big sack of cheddar, at the beginning of this build, to get it where it is now. Sacrificed a lot for that, and have to build that back up. Winter is my slow time for work, so yeah, just doing what I can for now. Which is alright, gives me something to do, and I like that. Getting a kick out making something from nothing. I still get wide eyed every time I see this thing. Pretty cool feeling to say "Wow, I built that". Even though there isn't many folk here, interested in this sort of thing, I'm thankful I get to share the experience with Y'all.

The tow rig is down with electrical issues, and is also being repaired (hopefully) over this winter. Until that's sorted, this trailer ain't rolling anywhere.

When the main cabins large dome light was installed in the center of the rearward compartment, I didn't think of the sensor switch. It has to be touched to activate, and it was too far away from the rear door to reach easily. I decided to remedy that today.

Made a new aluminum bracket for it. I had some black powder coated 1" sq alum tube left over from a custom handrail job, they worked perfect for this. Hey, I'm a recycler! :D Ends are 1-1/4" alum angle, and some 1/8" alum flat stock for the light.

This bracket spans the center frame rail, and the rear frame rail, with the light in the middle. 4 self tap bolts and it's secure as the Pope Mobile. It's now easily reached from the rear cabin door. This light is amazing. Blue soft light when idle, and 3 brightness settings to it, all with a touch sensor switch. On High, it's too bright to look into. On low, it's nice and easy on the eyes. Powder coated aluminum, and HD shock resistant. Them Aussies don't mess around.

The bracket & light loose, ready for install.

main cabin light bracket.jpg

Installed, snug as a bug.

main cabin led installed.jpg

Switched on (front section lights on too)

Main cabin lights on.jpg

And a diff view of the front 3 10w led pods turned on

front interior leds on.jpg

This light is brighter than all 3 of those pod lights up front, and lights up every sq inch of the rear compartment.

Trying to make progress with materials and Items I already have on hand. Work has already slowed to a stand still for the winter, so yeah....Priorities.

I have a few things I can do still with what I have, so hopefully that keeps me busy until work picks back up.

Adios ****'s!!

I lost the cover for the Blue Sea fuse box in the Tongue box. I searched everywhere for it with no luck.

I went on their website, to buy a replacement. Couldn't find just the cover, so I emailed them asking if they would sell me just the cover.

They responded a few hours later, and said they don't sell them in the catalogs or list them individually on the website, but would send me one.... For free!

I replied thanking the person. To my surprise, they replied back. This time the person says, they are sending me an entire unit complete, to use the cover, and keep the fuse box for a spare, then wished me Happy Holidays. Wow! How cool was that! These things aren't cheap for what they are.

It arrived today, as told! Sweeeeet Christmas!!

Free fuse box.jpg

Remember Kids.... If you want good Karma, do good things, and do them often. ;)

Back