91 Vibration problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

He shouldn't have the front ABS sensor block with his '91 -- but stranger things have happened with Ford.

Are you sure you need to remove the spindle? At first I thought you were only going to replace the wheel bearings.

He shouldn't have the front ABS sensor block with his '91 -- but stranger things have happened with Ford.

Are you sure you need to remove the spindle? At first I thought you were only going to replace the wheel bearings.

The plan was to replace brake pads, rotors, wheel bearings, brake lines, and upper and lower ball joints. I recently replaced tie rod ends when I put in the suspension lift as well as adding a steering stabilizer and a beefed up sway bar, but I'm having problems with the sway bar and plan to return to the stock option as soon as I can get my hands on the right sway bar end links.

The goal was to preemptively spruce up the front end before the new heavier tires and wheels took their toll on the older parts, especially with this being my daily driver.

explorerfrontend.jpg

You might benefit from this parts list;
1991-1994 Ford Explorer 8.8” drum and D-35 TTB

Wheel bearings- Timken set37 - $10 requires 2 per side

Bearing seal – Timken 4250 - $3.40 requires 1 per side

Axel shaft U joints (3) - #297 - $14 - $19 requires 2 for right side, 1 for left side =3 total

Front Drive shaft U joint – #153 - $12- $19 requires 1

Rear driveshaft U joint - #153 - $12- $19 requires 2

Front diff right side axel seal – 470672 - $9 requires 1

Front diff left side axel seal – Timken 710043 $10.30 requires 1

Spindle bearing/seal kit – Timken SBK4 (bearing and seal) $19 – B2110 (bearing only) $7 -722108 (seal only) $4.50 requires 1 per front wheel = 2 total

Wait, did you remove the ABS sensor and protection block? That may be holding it on. One of those little bolts is like 6.5MM. A weird size.
:p Lol, Got quite the chuckle at your comment as I vividly recall my first ever spindle removal on a 4w- abs equipped 1st Gen :laugh: As Embarrassing as it is now to admit, that bugger had me stymied for days. Deep Creep, wallop, wd40 wallop, repeat for days. It finally ended up resulting in this 94 only having RABS. Sadly and embarrassingly, he ended up with two spindles that didn't even have the ABS sensor block still attached for a while... Can't tell you how many times I looked back there specifically at the sensor and missed it over and over!

Anyhow, the vibration does seem driveline related, kinda in relation to torque possibly. Post up any additional info you can about what's going on and what's been checked already. Good luck!

--- just realized I had a huge Brain#art. He's got a 91! No front wheel ABS :bow: lol

Back