throttle body | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

throttle body

wagonmaster69

Reaction score
City, State
Hacienda Heights, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a little play in my throttle body at fully close until it starts to engage.
Will that make it to idle low and stall?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And if anybody knows on how I can rebuild one that be great.

Is the trottle blade loose in the bore? Or is the shaft loose? Anyway, there should be no pplay or movment (sloppyness), might want to try and find a good used one. Idle speed is controlled by the IAV (idle air valve) it controlls the amount of air that by-passed the throttle blade to control idle speed. If your idle is low try removing the IAV and clean it if it is full or carbon.

I have a little play in my throttle body at fully close until it starts to engage.
Will that make it to idle low and stall?

Not sure what you mean by "play". The throttle plate does not close all the way. If it does it will stick closed.

In any event, if additional air goes through/past the throttle plate it will make the engine idle faster, not slower.

Lets see if I can explain this.
Where the throttle cable connects to the throttle body I can feel a little play in it.
It has a little bit of a play before it starts to move the throttle plate.
It will idle at first then it starts to lower the rpm's and then stall.
Otherwise it drives fine and I did replace the IAC valve.

I do not think that the play as you describe it would affect engine performance.

Is your engine throwing any Codes?

Lets see if I can explain this.
Where the throttle cable connects to the throttle body I can feel a little play in it.
It has a little bit of a play before it starts to move the throttle plate.
It will idle at first then it starts to lower the rpm's and then stall.
Otherwise it drives fine and I did replace the IAC valve.
Check your fuel pressure. Have you ever replaced the fuel filter?

Would bad battery cables cause my problem?

I had an old '00 XLT 5.0L that had a fast idle. It was annoying for various reasons. I replace the IAC, but that made no difference. I believe that I had an small intake gasket air leak and that's was causing the faster idle. This was a spare vehicle and I didn't want to put much effort into fixing the problem.

I recalled that the throttle plate has a small hole in it. I blocked this hole with a piece of duct tape to see what difference it might make. Turned out the truck idled perfectly with this hole sealed. I removed the tape and plugged the hole with a small machine screw and nut using permanent Locktite to insure it would not come loose and get sucked into the engine. Redneck fix, but it solved the problem.

Back