Full width axle thoughts | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full width axle thoughts

I run a fw 44 with Chromos and 35s. It seems pretty indestructible with my open diff. Ill add a locker someday. I built my exploder with a narrowed 44 setup with and ARB for years. I broke stock joints and lockers before chromes. I ran superjoints in my exploder, but I run Spicers in my current rig because I like to run it down the highway in the winter with the hubs locked in. I cut my cs off my 76 44 and moved them in about 2 3/8" on my current setup- then mounted my radius arms right up to the frame. I would do the same if I were you on that 75. No need to space buckets or radius arm mounts out that way. I also trimmed my drivers bucket to fit the frame bulge and welded/ bolted it on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good evening, after a lot of thinking and going back and forth with a good wheeling friend, I have decided to run 1 ton axles. I found a 1978/79 Kingping 60 housing for the front and I will run a 14 bolt or Steerling 10.25 in the rear. The explorer is a dedicated trail rig for us so I want to just build it big now. My plan is to run the extended radius arms and coilovers. Thank you BKennedy for the information on your setup.

Good morning, plans have changed a bit. I currently have two Kingpin 60’s in my garage and I am in the market for a 5.0 explorer. My question is about the frame width on the 2nd gen explorer. I would emagine the frame width would be close to the same making me think the 78-79 60 would be a better choice to use. I plan on using a 3 link setup with 2.5 inch fox coil overs in the front. The shop I use deals with Fox so that me the reason I am going with them. I also have an 87 KP 60 I could use if need be. Thanks for the help guys, I just want to get started building the axles before I get another explorer.

Back