Who has replaced their 4.0L crankshaft pulley? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who has replaced their 4.0L crankshaft pulley?

michael loibl

Reaction score
City, State
maywood, new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 EB V6 & 2020 XLT
C43F57AA-D3C5-4EAC-AA75-202306BEC891.jpeg
I just noticed during routine oil change that my crank pulley is broken. I can stick my finger inside the bolt hole and move a chunk of metal around.

I’ve watched videos on replacement, but wondering if anyone has had the bolt snap off in crank. Also, impact gun or breaker bar?

Should I avoid any brands? And replace the bolt too?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the write up and video link. I’m considering doing it from the bottom on the lift at work. I imagine I could remove the lower half fan shroud, and unbolt the fan from the fan clutch, leaving the clutch and wire on the motor. I’d have to remove lower radiator hose, but I’m due for fresh coolant anyway. Do u see any reason not to work from bottom?

Michael -
Honestly, that would be more difficult in my opinion.
You can remove all the stuff on the top in 15 minutes including the entire fan with the harness to gain access to the balancer. You have to remove the belt from the top anyway. He did not have to lift the truck or anything like that.
It is probably possible to do it from the bottom, but I would not recommend it :)

Are you saying undo the big fan nut and leave the wire attached and swing it out of the way? I could probably borrow the wrench, I believe it’s 33 mm

Yes, undo the nut, spin the whole fan and clutch off, but also undo the 8mm bolt holding the harness, unplug it and get it out of the way. Remove the upper half of the shroud. It will give you lots of space and it will pay off.

Anyone else have difficulty getting the bolt to break loose from the original harmonic balancer?

I’ll let you know in a few days when I start the job! I hope I’ll be able to squeeze my mini impact gun in there

I think we used an impact gun and it went right off.

D2E0DBAA-575C-46C2-B28E-E25E9EEAD795.jpeg
C5DB81DA-8D45-43A8-9148-D949FA4F0DC2.jpeg
Just a follow up, I was able to remove the harmonic balancer pulley this afternoon. I did end up doing it from the bottom and I am glad I did. It really was quite easy, but I was using a Lift. If I was in my driveway, I probably would have let the air out of the front tires to lower those nose, and done it from the top the way PL suggested.

7B43BA2C-B95B-419D-A059-1242865AE477.jpeg

I started by putting it up in the air and draining the coolant fully. Next I disconected both ends of the lower radiator hose and removed it, making lots of room.

Then I Removed the two bolts holding the lower half of the radiator shroud, my plan was to wiggle it out without removing the two transmission cooler hoses, but no way to squeeze it by, and I really didn’t want to mess with those connections.

I then lowered the car, unbolted the coolant overflow bottle, power steering bottle, and the upper half of the radiator shroud, just as would have been done if I was doing the job from the top.

Next, I unbolted the fan with my 3/8 drive air ratchet and pulled it out from the top, and then pull the lower fan shroud up and out the top. Also removed the belt, But could have easily got to the tensioner from the bottom with all this space opened up.

Back up in the air, I gave a few more squirts of PB blaster down the two threaded holes in the balancer, and started working the bolts in and out a few times to break up the rust. By the way, since the threads are deep inside the pulley, you can squirt them easy from the engine side of the pulley, As long as the motor is rotated into a good position.

1F98A6AD-D985-4176-AEA8-A4522004EDFB.jpeg

My craftsman impact gun just barely cleared the radiator with a 19 mm deep socket in the pulley, So I busted it loose, finished pulling it out with a manual ratchet, and then threaded it back in halfway which worked out to 4 full rotations.

I set up the puller, using M8 1.25 x 85mm bolts, although I would recommend at least 90mm to get more bite. I used my 19 mm boxed ratcheting wrench to work it into the head of the crank pulley, and then the pulley began walking out with very little effort.

I then removed the puller and fully remove the crank bolt, so I could find a long metal bar slightly thinner than the threads of the bolt, but a bit longer to continue removing the Pulley.

D2E0DBAA-575C-46C2-B28E-E25E9EEAD795.jpeg

Make sure to catch the heavy assembly when it does come free, don’t hit the radiator.

I couldn’t find the longer crank bolt I needed at Home Depot. The only M12 they had were 1.75 thread, so I went to my local commercial truck part supply house and got a M12 1.50 x 90mm (3.5 inches) which was about 3/4 inch longer than the stock bolt for $1.25.

EEB22068-9ECF-450D-91E5-9772DED73D20.jpeg

I then put a light coating of motor oil on the crank slide surface, and gave a few light taps with my hand to seat the pulley. I fingered in the long bolt, catching about 4 threads before contacting the pulley. I then cranked it in about half an inch before backing that bolt out and inserting the factory crank bolt in its place. Don’t quote me, but I believe torque spec was 44 ft/lbs plus 90 degrees on a NEW bolt.

Other than that, it was a simple matter of re-installing the belt, lower shroud, lower hose, plastic fan, and upper shroud. Then reinstall the power steering bottle and coolant tank and refill coolant.

Excellent write up Michael.
I am glad you did it your way, otherwise I would think I am the smartest :)

I wish I had an access to a lift, or had my own garage with a lift. My wife would not see me much I am afraid.:)

If you had married my sister, you would have this 2,400 sq foot garage with 3 lifts, 200 Amp electric, heat, and AC in your backyard
08D5CEBA-AD65-4CA1-B5CF-151565BCE6C9.png
77E26D11-BC2B-4B65-9A4B-2D1BF8A553B9.png
E9248C0B-6821-4EDC-AFAD-6CB93CB3BFD8.jpeg

Rub it in more :)
I could live in that garage.
Looks like a race shop.

What's the hourly rate to use it ? LOL

If you had married my sister, you would have this 2,400 sq foot garage with 3 lifts, 200 Amp electric, heat, and AC in your backyard
I need more info here - is the sister a gear head that built all of this or did she inherit it from your dad? Your phrasing doesn't make it sound like her husband built it.
On a semi related note - how's that marriage going? Any problems?

Just asking.....

:)

I missed that line on the top :)
Happy with my wife for the past 20 or so years, but the garage would look nice in MY BACKYARD

Eddy B - you are a comedian :)

My sister is a car guy, always has been. If you were to look in her high school yearbook from 1990 You would see that one of her life goals was to have a Corvette. It took her 20 years, but that silver Z06 is hers, as well as the white Mustang convertible, and a few other toys. My brother-in-law was a car guy too, And we and a few friends build this garage about 15 years ago in their backyard.

Dad had nothing to do with it, we haven’t seen or heard from him in almost 30 years. Ironically, he was a corporate accountant with absolutely no mechanical skills whatsoever. None. Zero. Everyone in the family jokes about where did my sister and I get it from.

My wife and I shared a few laughs over both Eddy and PL posts. Then she said those dreaded words...”I want a new car!” I explained to her that 12 years ago we signed a 99 year lease at the Ford dealer, so it will have to wait!
To answer the question, yes they are mostly happily married LOL. They build mostly autocross race cars, but they do a little drag racing too.
That blue 88 mustang notchback is running a Chevy LS6 aluminum V8, and under one of those car covers is a very rare 1981 Z28 in factory Brown (rare) paint and NO T-TOPS (rare). That one is running a Chevy 406 and 4L80E transmission.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup:

Back