12v Power Points Not Working | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

12v Power Points Not Working

Everyone that wants to work on a vehicle should have a digital volt/ohm meter. As was mentioned they can be had for less than $20 and I have seen them as low as $5.00. Then if you don't know how to use one pull up a video on Youtube. It isn't that hard and you will be surprised at how much you will use the meter once you buy one. Even doing a few things around the house require a multi-meter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ThunderFan,
Were you able to figure out what the problem was? I just picked up my '14 Sport used and it seems to have the same problem, none of the outlets work. I haven't done any troubleshooting yet, just researching here to see if other had the problem.

ThunderFan,
Were you able to figure out what the problem was? I just picked up my '14 Sport used and it seems to have the same problem, none of the outlets work. I haven't done any troubleshooting yet, just researching here to see if other had the problem.

No, I never did figure it out. I decided to just live with it since the 110 outlet works fine and I can use that for any charging needs.

My first guess would be that the battery saver, or something similar is responsible. With 4 fuses it would be 4 entirely separate circuits, or else if one fuse blew, one of the others would still power the circuit.

There has to be a piece of electronics that is between the fuse, and the outlets. (Or a source that feeds all 4 fuses).

My first check would be that the fuses themselves have voltage on the input side.

I can't imagine not having any functional 12V powerpoints in a car for several years.

Did the powerpoints work at some point and just stopped working or did they never work? What was the last item that worked in them? Was there anything done to the car between the time they were working and the time you noticed they stopped working? Is anything else wonky with the electrical? Any other stuff not working as it should or not working at all?

I can't imagine not having any functional 12V powerpoints in a car for several years.

Did the powerpoints work at some point and just stopped working or did they never work? What was the last item that worked in them? Was there anything done to the car between the time they were working and the time you noticed they stopped working? Is anything else wonky with the electrical? Any other stuff not working as it should or not working at all?

I bought the car used with somewhere around 45k miles. I assume they worked at some point but since I'm not the original owner I have no idea how long it has been since they worked, so I can't really answer most of your questions. I didn't discover they weren't working until a couple weeks after the purchase. It didn't occur to me to check those while test driving, but I always will going forward. As far as other wonky stuff with the electrical...yep, but it seems unrelated to this issue. My driver's side sun visor lost power around 6 months or a year ago. I've read the wires in the sliding mechanism can get pinched and that causes the issue. The power door lock on the rear driver's-side door rarely works. I have to manually lock and unlock it around 95% of the time. Just today the same problem started happening with the driver's door lock. I'm probably going to have to address that sooner rather than later since that will be a bigger pain to deal with than a rear door. Oh, I also have the shift to park issue. That's about all I can think of. Pretty minor issues to me that don't really affect the drivability of the car so I've just put off dealing with it.

ThunderFan,
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If this issue existed when you bought the Explorer, why not take it back and have the dealer fix it? They must have given you some kind of warranty. Whatever the issue is, it seems to be a common item that affects all the power ppoint circuits.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If this issue existed when you bought the Explorer, why not take it back and have the dealer fix it? They must have given you some kind of warranty. Whatever the issue is, it seems to be a common item that affects all the power ppoint circuits.

Peter
Thanks Peter,
I like to do my own fixing if it's not a big issue, but if I can't figure this one out I will take advantage of the extended warranty.

If I can figure it out, I'll be sure to update this thread. :thumbsup:

I bought the car used with somewhere around 45k miles. I assume they worked at some point but since I'm not the original owner I have no idea how long it has been since they worked, so I can't really answer most of your questions. I didn't discover they weren't working until a couple weeks after the purchase. It didn't occur to me to check those while test driving, but I always will going forward. As far as other wonky stuff with the electrical...yep, but it seems unrelated to this issue. My driver's side sun visor lost power around 6 months or a year ago. I've read the wires in the sliding mechanism can get pinched and that causes the issue. The power door lock on the rear driver's-side door rarely works. I have to manually lock and unlock it around 95% of the time. Just today the same problem started happening with the driver's door lock. I'm probably going to have to address that sooner rather than later since that will be a bigger pain to deal with than a rear door. Oh, I also have the shift to park issue. That's about all I can think of. Pretty minor issues to me that don't really affect the drivability of the car so I've just put off dealing with it.

Based on that, I think I'd do some basic troubleshooting. Visually check all your fuses/relays and test with voltmeter. Maybe even get into the wiring and make sure it is all intact. Could also grab a USB OBD dongle and forscan (if you don't already have) and connect up to check for any communication or other errors and see if the previous owner made any changes that could be causing the powerpoint issue (I don't know why anyone would disable them, but you never know).

Not sure if it is part of the problem or not, but I believe there is an accessory delay relay on inside fuse panel (#87?). Maybe check that.

The charging points in our 2014 explorer suddenly stopped working (we've only had it a few weeks)....all fuses are intact. I'm at a loss.. Also, I find the passenger cabin fuse box to be impossible to reach. I can't be the only one.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm guessing that you are referring to the 12V power points. Do you have the 110V AC outlet? If so, is it working?
Did you check just the fuses related to the power points as per the Manual or did you just go in and check them all?
And yes, you are by no means the only one to complain about the cabin fuse box location. It is in the same place on all 5th generation Explorers and I believe also in the 6th gen.

Peter

I'm guessing that you are referring to the 12V power points. Do you have the 110V AC outlet? If so, is it working?
Did you check just the fuses related to the power points as per the Manual or did you just go in and check them all?
And yes, you are by no means the only one to complain about the cabin fuse box location. It is in the same place on all 5th generation Explorers and I believe also in the 6th gen.

Peter

6th gen is built into the drivers side lower dash.

Peter

There is a port in the back seat, but it is not specifically labeled for 110V. I checked the specific fuses labeled for charging points and all looked good. Couldn't really get to the fuse box in the cabin easily, but the manual doesn't specify that any of those are related to the charging points.

Not sure if it's related, but the A/C clutch burned up recently...about the same time this happened.

Thanks Peter,
I like to do my own fixing if it's not a big issue, but if I can't figure this one out I will take advantage of the extended warranty.

If I can figure it out, I'll be sure to update this thread. :thumbsup:
Any update to this issue?

Peter

There is a second fuse for the 110V AC in the cabin fuse box but that doesn't appear to be your problem. That outlet is on the back of the center console and looks like a standard plug. Did you get any kind of warranty with the vehicle when you bought it?

Peter

BTW, I've merged your thread with this one on the same issue.

There is a second fuse for the 110V AC in the cabin fuse box but that doesn't appear to be your problem. That outlet is on the back of the center console and looks like a standard plug. Did you get any kind of warranty with the vehicle when you bought it?

Peter

BTW, I've merged your thread with this one on the same issue.

No.. In hindsight, I wish I would have purchased an extended warranty. On back of the center console....looks like a standard 120v 2 prong outlet? we just have the cigarrette lighter adapter style outlet on back of the console.

Back