• Register Today It's free!

2016+ low speed surging

Blanton

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Hello everyone, this is my first post. New to me 2016 Platinum with 63k miles having a low speed light throttle surge issue. I did use the search feature and found many posts on similar surge issues but don't have a good idea from any of those posts on what the issue may be and how it was fixed.

When hot or cold and just starting out in a parking lot or similar level surface I can feel the car surging like I have my foot on and off the pedal. The tach shows the engine surging up and down also. My kids and wife think I'm doing it on purpose. If was doing it with everything stock and I took it to a ford repair shop when they scanned it and found no codes. Decided to install a Livernois 93 tune, new plugs and 3bar MAP hoping it was a tuning issue and it still does it. Some threads changed the transmission fluid to fix it but will this cause the tach to rev up and down?

What are my next steps here, it is not under warranty an longer and I'd like an idea of what others think may be the problem. Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ETB (electronic throttle body)?
Surging on my 2016 Sport, resulted in a new ETB and transmission.

Welcome to the Forum Blanton.:wave:
Given the 9 page thread on the 2016 throttle body issue, I would guess that would be the place to start. Have you checked your account to see if there is a notice there about the issue? See this post; 2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems

Peter

I read the 9 page thread but for most it would also cut off, that's why I wasn't considering that. When you say account what do you mean?

Ok, yes I did and it says no recalls or action required.

Did I read that right? You had surging and bought a tuner, plugs, and 3 bar map hoping that would magically fix everything?

I think I would have started with some more basic and less costly options. Maybe check for vacuum leaks, idle issue, and fuel issues. For what you spent on the tune and stuff, you could have bought a nice scan tool (and probably a bunch of other tools) to help with the diagnosis.

No KayGee I planned to do that all along and it didn't change the issue. Just reporting that my Explorer is no longer stock. Just went to the bank a few minutes ago and it didn't surge once. Seems to be on and off. Still trying to figure out when it does it.

The behavior you describe is called "surging" and it happens when the engine is warm, just restarted, and driven at low speed (partial throttle). It happens to my Explorer while I'm running errands. For example, if I stop, turn off the engine, run into a store, then return and pull out of the parking lot.

I believe this surging is an Ecoboost characteristic and has to do with a temporary build-up of condensation inside the air intake tube caused by an efficient Charge Air Cooler (CAC). Once the condensation is purged, everything returns to normal.

In the older models I would say test the Thottle Position Sensor TPS. Now a days I believe it is all part of the Thottle body. Next how does it idle at a light? If ok the vacuum is good back to TPS.

The behavior you describe is called "surging" and it happens when the engine is warm, just restarted, and driven at low speed (partial throttle). It happens to my Explorer while I'm running errands. For example, if I stop, turn off the engine, run into a store, then return and pull out of the parking lot.

I believe this surging is an Ecoboost characteristic and has to do with a temporary build-up of condensation inside the air intake tube caused by an efficient Charge Air Cooler (CAC). Once the condensation is purged, everything returns to normal.

If this were the case then everyone would have the issue and that's not the case. I've never heard of condensation building up in an intake tube especially in a short amount of time like at the grocery store.

In the older models I would say test the Thottle Position Sensor TPS. Now a days I believe it is all part of the Thottle body. Next how does it idle at a light? If ok the vacuum is good back to TPS.

It always idles perfectly. I guess a TPS is next on the list.

If this were the case then everyone would have the issue and that's not the case. I've never heard of condensation building up in an intake tube especially in a short amount of time like at the grocery store.

+1, as I do short trips from Mon-Fri taking my kid down the block to the bust stop, wait for the school bus and then head off to work.

For less than the cost of an average fast food meal, you can get a bluetooth OBD adapter and Torque for Android that will allow you to monitor the TPS and see if it is behaving normally or abnormally.

I just live with it. Only happens for a short time, like in the first minute after a restart. Almost always when the engine is warm.

It doesnt build up in the intake, it builds up in the intercooler. The f150s had a big problem with this when the 3.5 eco first came out in them.

And no it wouldnt happen to everyone. It matters temps, altitude and humidity.

A quick update. Changed the throttle body with a new FoMoCo one, made no difference at all. Never does it when cold, only does it when warm and I turn it off, then back on like at a grocery store. Got to be a fix for this.

It doesnt build up in the intake, it builds up in the intercooler. The f150s had a big problem with this when the 3.5 eco first came out in them.

And no it wouldnt happen to everyone. It matters temps, altitude and humidity.

Blwnsmoke you say it happened when the F150's first came out, what was the fix? Mine is a 16 Platinum, hardly a first year problem.

A quick update. Changed the throttle body with a new FoMoCo one, made no difference at all. Never does it when cold, only does it when warm and I turn it off, then back on like at a grocery store. Got to be a fix for this.

Blwnsmoke you say it happened when the F150's first came out, what was the fix? Mine is a 16 Platinum, hardly a first year problem.

The 11-12 F150 TSB
Adobe Document Cloud

They added some type of baffle/deflector.

When googling it, it seems owners of them instead drilled a 0.05" hole st the lowest point of the CAC tube to let the condinsation drip out which solved the problem.

Thank you, I have not had any MIL codes at all, and my problem is with just barely any accelerator at all. Like in a parking lot. Doesn't sound like the same thing.

They added some type of baffle/deflector.

Yeah they added a piece of plastic over the fins on the intercooler to block airflow. Seemed to be more prevalent in moist climates as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both of our 16’s do it. Mostly in the summer when the humidity is high. It’s condensation in the intercooler. Probably can throw parts at it all day and it won’t be fixed.

Back