My dealer can't find the body part...Can you? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My dealer can't find the body part...Can you?

HapkidoNinja

Reaction score
City, State
Redmond
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited
One of the rubber stops for the rear liftgate went AWOL and I am trying to get a replacement.
This is the cylindrical bumper located near the top of the liftgate hinge which helps square off the liftgate when shut. I would guess it has a smaller cone shaped end on the base that gets inserted into the hole on the body.

The dealer's parts department struggled to find the number and came back with W714083-S300 but they weren't certain. A quick search of some of the images has me questioning them since some of the photos online show tapered stops (the other one is straight), they all are listed as door stops, and none indicate that they fit my model year. Does anyone know?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The one that is there is old. My concern is that if that one tears when I try to extract it then the liftgate will rattle around even more.
I will grab a caliper and measure the exterior dimensions, and compare it to the ones on the page you sent. Thanks for sending that, I should be able to find one there that fits.

If you have a Lowe’s near you go to their hardware department and ask for the drawers of odds and end parts and they have a selection of rubber gromments, stoppers, and parts. Not sayin* I’ve seen it but they may have something that would replace and work. I have definitely bought the little push in fasteners there that hold many parts on our Ford vehicles.

Those resemble the ones for the side doors on my 96 Explorer. I have seen both straight and tapered ones in the junkyard. I can't remember if the gen dictated the shape or not. I think I might have one or the other in my spare parts if you want me to get some measurements. I can also measure whatever shape is on mine. I keep thinking I switched mine to the straight ones for the front doors.

Those resemble the ones for the side doors on my 96 Explorer. I have seen both straight and tapered ones in the junkyard. I can't remember if the gen dictated the shape or not. I think I might have one or the other in my spare parts if you want me to get some measurements. I can also measure whatever shape is on mine. I keep thinking I switched mine to the straight ones for the front doors.
One of the rubber stops for the rear liftgate went AWOL and I am trying to get a replacement.
This is the cylindrical bumper located near the top of the liftgate hinge which helps square off the liftgate when shut. I would guess it has a smaller cone shaped end on the base that gets inserted into the hole on the body.

The dealer's parts department struggled to find the number and came back with W714083-S300 but they weren't certain. A quick search of some of the images has me questioning them since some of the photos online show tapered stops (the other one is straight), they all are listed as door stops, and none indicate that they fit my model year. Does anyone know?

Thanks. I went to the car to measure it leaving work, only to discover that the remaining one was totally warped. Likely this was a result of the sideways pressure and age. I found someone on ebay selling two new bumpers with the dealer supplied number, all up for $4 including postage, so I went ahead and ordered them. Worst case, if they are too large, I will cut them down. I'll let you all know how it goes in a week after they arrive.

Your doing this the hard way. Just go to your nearest pic a part or wrecking yard and grab some used ones. Cheap, and even free if you know what I mean. It's always a good idea to locate explorers for parts in local salvage yards, you can save a lot of money getting original Ford parts for your Ex.

^ Agree for larger or discontinued parts, but for FOUR DOLLARS shipped? :banghead:
I found someone on ebay selling two new bumpers with the dealer supplied number, all up for $4 including postage, so I went ahead and ordered them.

^ Agree for larger or discontinued parts, but for FOUR DOLLARS shipped? :banghead:

The nearest part yard from where I live/work is about a 45 minute drive. The $4 is cheaper than the gas and saves me time and effort scrounging. I will reserve the part yard for replacing the cracked liftgate panel - thank you Ford for poor design.

The nearest part yard from where I live/work is about a 45 minute drive. The $4 is cheaper than the gas and saves me time and effort scrounging. I will reserve the part yard for replacing the cracked liftgate panel - thank you Ford for poor design.
Yah, I kind of intended it to be more of a suggestion for future bigger ticket items, usually when I go, I find things like those in addition to what I went there for, no offense, you found a good deal. Plus my wrecker is only a mile away so very convenient for me.

My lift gate cracked too, right in the center.

Liftgate Applique Panel they all crack

My lift gate cracked too, right in the center.

I will see your cracked liftgate and raise you one. :splat:

My vehicle (04) was garaged most of the time but not for the last 6 years. The paint on the roof delaminated and is peeling especially in the channels. In some spots it is exposing the bare metal to rust, and in others the primer. A paint job is worth more than the vehicle value. I am going to wait for the spring and try to deal with the rust as mechanically the vehicle is fine - less than 70k!

I own 3 Mountaineers they are all cracked LOL ...I learned to close the lift gate right in the center where the emblem is,I believe they brake when they are close at the corner of the lift gate..

I own 3 Mountaineers they are all cracked LOL ...I learned to close the lift gate right in the center where the emblem is,I believe they brake when they are close at the corner of the lift gate..
They crack. End of story. you can baby it to reduce the cracking, but it will still crack.

Back