Is the gen3 v8 frame used on any other vehicles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the gen3 v8 frame used on any other vehicles?

MyExplorer03v8Lim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6L
I'm just wondering if the frame on our explorers was used in any other vehicles.

I'm weighing the value of doing a full body-off restoration, perhaps swapping or repairing my frame... vs just starting on a new platform as project vehicle.

The goal is to eliminate all frame and body rust, and then take measures to prevent future rust. The guy I bought my ex from did a quick/ bad job of Bondo and paint directly over rusty body panels, and it's beginning to raise up. Also the frame is well rusted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe only the Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer use the same frame in the 3rd gen.

03-05 Lincoln Aviator.

If it were me I would be looking for another Explorer that was properly looked after. They are out there. Mine is an 02 and has always been oiled and constantly checked for corrosion. What you are proposing to do is a ton of work on a vehicle that has minimal value.

What you are proposing to do is a ton of work on a vehicle that has minimal value.

I think this applies to half of us on the forum. I also agree that a 3rd gen is not the truck to restore. Sure if you were gutting it for an entire different suspension and engine swap go for it. Just realize at best these 3rd gens are only worth $3500.

Back