Lean condition codes- both banks?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lean condition codes- both banks??

MatBirch

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘96 Explorer Limited
Hey gang, new to the forum here, although I’ve spent many hours here already searching and learning.

My wife’s 96 limited with the OHV motor threw a CEL here about a month ago. Lean condition left... right... you know the drill, I’m sure. I’ve searched a ton and spent many hours under the hood, and online. Most info I find on this involves the sohc motors however. One consistent recommendation I find is the intake gaskets. I find it very hard to believe that BOTH gaskets would fail at the exact same time! No?
Work I’ve done so far- in order of action
1- Inspected all vacuum hoses, boots, and fittings I could find, with nothing found
2- Cleaned IAC
3- Disconnected IAC plug while running. Engine stumbled and nearly died which should indicate no vacuum problems(?)
4- Replaced PCV and inspected hose.
5- Replaced IAC as it was howling through the vent anyway...

EGR has been recommended, however won’t that throw it’s own code?

Symptoms are as follows-
At idle, not always, but increasing in frequency, the truck will start to hunt and the rpms will drop in a rhythmic fashion. Kind of the opposite of a “surging”. Eventually it will stall. If you keep your foot in it, it runs great. Have not noticed a decrease in fuel economy.
Cold start is usually fine, but once it drops off high idle, it will start acting up. My wife has difficulty getting it warmed up enough to clear windows, warm the interior, etc before leaving for work.
I did notice the other night when backing her in to a trailer (truck was at operating temp) that the exhaust smelled like chlorine. Swimming pool. I really don’t believe I was mistaking it for an ammonia smell. I really thought swimming pool/ hot tub instantly.

I purchased this truck from a friend who is the service writer at one of the top shops in town. It originally belonged to a former client of theirs. It has been meticulously maintained over it’s lifespan. Sadly, I can’t afford to just pay them shop rate to troubleshoot this.

Thanks for the help!

MAF, FPR or fuel pump are all suspects for both banks going lean at same time.

Try cleaning the MAF 1st then check fuel pressure.

How many miles? The lower intake manifold gaskets on the OHV are a common failure point. They generally start leaking coolant from the two coolant passages at the front and the rear of each side. They can also cause an air leak, which can result in a lean condition. I'd replace them on general principles in a 22 year old Explorer because the failure is so common.

MAF, FPR or fuel pump are all suspects for both banks going lean at same time.

Try cleaning the MAF 1st then check fuel pressure.

^^^ +1
I had both banks lean code, cleaned MAF replaced fuel filter has not come back in 5 months

Back