Yet another V8 Swap.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tif0ez

Reaction score
City, State
Charleroi, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
So, I'm pulling the trigger on this project, I've checked with local emissions (swap approved).

Already own the project '02 Sport Trac
Already own the donor '98 5.0 Explorer

'02 Sport Trac has the returnless fuel.
'98 Has return fuel system.

I'd like to retain the PATS from the '98 because it has the true alarm when the doors are opened when locked.

At this point I need to know what systems I am keeping and what to purge from the '02 to prepare for this swap.
I will be taking my time with this project as the inspection on the '98 is current and expires in February..

Ironically our wedding anniversary is on the 12th of February, and this would be a perfect gift to my wife..

I have already started the teardown on the '02 ST and will be upgrading and lifting the suspension at the same time.. Probably replace with new & twist the torsion bars, with shackles in the rear for some stance.

I know how to turn wrenches, and I am never scared of a project, but as for the little details I'm bringing this to the pros! All help and criticism will be considered

Cheers to project progress!! Yank on this, scrap that, cut here, weld there..

P.S. Project Dreamcatcher is still in progress, thread to come soon..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! You will love 5.0 sport trac

So you need to convert your 98 5.0L engine from return fuel to returnless using the 5.0L fuel rail and injectors from a 99-01 5.0 Explorer (returnless)
This way you can use your 98 Explorer PCM and still keep the returnless fuel in the 2002
We can install the 98 style pats into your 02 trac
At the end of the bolt in conversion you will have some small wiring to do
You will need some exhaust work
You will / might need a custom built rear driveshaft
Otherwise very straight forward conversion

Are you using the 5.0L AWD t case or going 4wd or?

Very interesting to learn that I have so many options!

*I will begin to hunt for the 5.0 returnless rail and injectors

Not afraid of wiring or exhaust work..

Its really this simple? Other than converting the engine to returnless?
I'm now wondering why I waited a year to start this project.. When we picked up the donor last year she was too clean not to put on the road for a year, lol..

At some point I'd like to throw in a true 4x4 trans and t-case, but for now will install the 5.0 awd as is into the Trac, that way the wife will have a reliable winter vehicle as well as the added hp & torque..

When I sent in the registration I listed the weight from wiki, and they classified our Trac as a weight class 2, so I'll also be beefing up the suspension so I can tow with her also..

After reading this I am seriously about to go out to the garage to start wrenching!!

Nice!! Pictures!!

Sure! The Olive Green one in the foreground is what the 5.0 is goin in. The ST in the background is Dreamcatcher, she is still 4.0

https://scontent.***c1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/29744919_983637468461631_8978430557660232834_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent.***c1-2.fna&oh=253a620207e9d29e780b0ed67ae0a6e8&oe=5CAFCAB5

and this is the donor truck, picked her up for less than $1k at auction.. only had to fix the flat and we drove her home.. Only intended on pickin her up for the 5.0 swap, but she was cleaner than expected so we tossed her on the streets for a year.. Smashed a dear, took out the grille and the drivers fender along with the windshield, so we are counting the miles until inspection runs out..

https://scontent.***c1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29595127_983639911794720_4856717711667805461_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.***c1-1.fna&oh=208743561fce6962990a217ccf738972&oe=5D11DD17

https://scontent.***c1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29595127_983639911794720_4856717711667805461_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.***c1-1.fna&oh=cd5a58f904546731dd6a30cfd3d14438&oe=5C73A917

I think I nailed down a lead on the rail & injectors for under $100, will post results..

Wicked good show! I LOVE SPORT TRACS!!!!!!
I have wanted a sport trac for many many many years (Like since 2001)
I helped my old room mate buy one (co sign) and he drunk drove it into a guard rail, got it impounded and basically screwed me 110% on that deal. So I fixed it and sold it. Now years and years later I have only been able to work on them keep them running for friends...until 2018!
Now i have purchased two of them, both very clean 2001. Both of them are getting 5.0 , the white one is going on right now (5.0 is in) and I am trying to find a reason to keep it when shes done.
Like I said I LOVE the sport trac! I need a 4 door for taking the kids to school....right? right? LOL

Any questions you have this forum can help. As far as conversions go it does not get any easier

Ok, so after fuel rail and injectors, should I also be sourcing more parts?
I found several yards and partouts where I can pick up the fuel rail/ injector package and "??", the more I pick up the more I save. I've already tried measuring driveshafts, and also remember seeing something about a direct replacement from an expedition or excursion, not sure, it'll have to be measured after swap install.. Luckily we have a shop within 45 minutes called Pittsburgh Driveshaft that'll be able to handle linking everything together if I am unable to figure it out..

At this point, I have mostly everything from the 4.0 system pulled from the ST, the engine, trans, t-case, and pulled the wiring harness from the motor to the chassis including the pcm.. What is next on my list to prep the ST??

Thanks again for your help, I wouldn't attempt this swap without www.explorerforum.com, and I proudly tell everyone about our Forum..

On top of all this, I have expectation design ideas.. At some point I'd like to also swap from awd to manual tcase so I can have true 2wd..
We have a full set of cups from the cv shafts, we had a paper route at one point and during the summer we would run the expo in 2wd, doing this conversion will save me the hassle of ever pulling cvs to achieve the same..

Its cold as **** here in PA so when we are not wrenching, we kick it by the coal furnace and plan, and plan, and plan..

((edited for added question)) Would the addition of a 3" body lift give the engine compartment the added space to change the plugs easier on the 5.0? I love everything about the 5.0 expo except their placement of the evaporator case..

With the V6 out you want to swap in a few V8 parts:

Drivers side engine mount, two options: install the V8 mount (pita have to get under the truck) or drill one hole in the V8 plate. I always drill the hole. Take the V8 engine mount plate over to the truck, hold it up to the V6 mount that is sitting on the engine cradle and compare it....you will see where you need to drill one hole

Swap in the V8 power steering hoses and power steering cooler. The V6 stuff is right in the way, the V8 cooler mounts much lower

Install the V8 trans cooler lines, let them sit loose
Install the V8 starter and wiring harness, again let them sit loose

That's about it before you drop the V8 and trans into the engine bay
Yes we install the engine and trans already mated together it goes much easier this way

Of course your new V8 engine should get treated now, strip it down to the lower intake, install any gaskets or tune up parts now.
I usually replace ALL THE gaskets including timing cover, oil pan, lower intake, etc I use Fel pro blue gaskets
Now is the time for any new parts, you can get the updated cast exhaust manifolds on Ebay for less then $100 or you can buy TMH clone headers for $440, now is the time for those if you are going to change them out.
You can bench test all 8 of your new injectors and re ring them with fresh O rings, install the fuel rail now
Drop engine in place with exhaust manifolds installed and fuel rail on

This thread is perfect cause I too am going to do a 5.0L swap from a mountaineer/Explorer. So please continue the details and photos, all the help counts!

Hell yeah bud, let me know what you need photos of, from all the times this swap has been done I didn't plan to document EVERY step, just the important stuffs..

I don’t really need photos unless you come across some really difficult spots, like everyone ever, I want to do this swap with zero headaches hahaha

Don't ever expect zero headaches, if you want that, then you need to drop it off at a capable shop with a stack of cash and give them a 6 month deadline to work out the bugs, or just sell what you have and go buy something with the 5.0 already installed..
I apologize about the blunt statements, but we wouldn't have a forum to ***** and moan to when we run into problems if it was easy ;)

((edited to remove false info on fuel system))

Since this experience, I'm not 100% sure I am telling everyone the correct information..

Crawled around some under both the project and the donor.. I'm putting another vehicle on the road any day so I can get this rollin.. I do have some pictures that I'll try to group together to post, and when I start yanking the donor 5.0 it'll be the second half of this thread.. Finally the third and final section will be what I did, and the install..
Obviously I'll post all the changes that I am making to be able to accomplish this project.. Stay tuned ;)

Don't ever expect zero headaches, if you want that, then you need to drop it off at a capable shop with a stack of cash and give them a 6 month deadline to work out the bugs, or just sell what you have and go buy something with the 5.0 already installed..
I apologize about the blunt statements, but we wouldn't have a forum to ***** and moan when we run into problems if it was easy ;)

Speaking of easy, I picked up the fuel rail and injectors, and when I attempted a connection with the '02 it seems as if I have dual fuel lines..
Was the '02 ST stock with a return system?!
I have dual lines up near the engine, and at the fuel filter it splits again for a total of three lines to the tank?!

Since this experience, I'm not 100% sure I am telling everyone the correct information..

Don’t worry, I’m not offended haha I get there there will be headaches and problems along the way of a 5.0L swap, but I meant major set backs. I’ve read some other forums on this swap and there didn’t seem to be too many details in some areas of the job and many details in areas not needed.

yes sport tracs came with the return style fuel rail in 2001, are you sure that sucker is a 2002?
It sounds like your 02 trac still uses the return style fuel rail? (two fuel lines)
If your 98 donor is also return then you are good (plug n play)

These fuel filters are weird with the two input lines from tank
We need more pictures of the two trucks this helps get the correct info!

project door date is 06/02, donor is 01/98 both original driver doors..
I'm charging the camera so I can grab some shots.. Where would be best to help?
I don't think this is what you were looking for..
https://scontent.***c1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/46819115_1159424384216271_5734565012777730048_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.***c1-1.fna&oh=57644929912a36feeaea649c0ebf417f&oe=5CAEA2EA

I should have a definitive answer on the fuel system by the end of today, wish me luck, we've had some frigid temperatures lately..

.........You can bench test all 8 of your new injectors and re ring them with fresh O rings, install the fuel rail now...
@410Fortune
Please explain this testing in detail... Thanks! imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All right, its no secret I learned this on Youtube a couple of years ago and have been bench testing every injector before install since....has saved ALOT of headaches

To bench test your injectors you will need a 12V battery, a wiring pigtail for injector plug in, an old tire valve stem, carb cleaner and the red straw, and some JB weld.

Some things are easier to explain with a Youtube video :)
I made an adapter a couple of years ago, it is still working
I have pigtails for both the older style injectors and the newer (91-97 and then 98-04)
With the jumper box power you will pulse the injector as you spray carb cleaner. You can watch the spray pattern of each injector to confirm they are activating, clean, and spraying a proper pattern

Back