Intermittent front and rear camera. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent front and rear camera.

Angrylawman

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
Sorry if I’m posting in the wrong forum or if this has been answered already. I did a search but couldn’t find an exact answer.

I have a 2017 Platinum Explorer. Since it was new I had an issue where the front and rear cameras wouldn’t work. I just got a black screen. I’d say this happened maybe 5% of the time and restarting my Explorer usually fixed the problem.

At my last regular servicing i mentioned the problem, and they told me that they ran a diagnostic and the rear camera was faulty. So they replaced it. Since that time, both cameras now work only 5-10% of the time.

I went back to the dealership and left the car for the day. They told me that they couldn’t replicate the problem. Luckily, as I was getting ready to leave, the problem came back so I was able to demonstrate to them that i wasn’t crazy. After some discussion the tech told me that the video processing unit needed replaced (under warranty).

It’s taking forever for that part to come in. I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and knows of another fix. To be clear, I’m not getting an error message when it happens, just a black screen for both cameras. It also sometimes won’t work at the beginning of a trip, but will work when I park at my destination and vice versa. Previously, only restarting the car would fix it.

Besides the obvious issue of wanting something I paid for that’s still under warranty to work properly, I’m having issues with the parking lift in my garage that requires me to front park the Explorer very precisely. Reversing out is an adventure now because the alleyway behind my garage has a lot of vehicle and pedestrian traffic. I miss having the fisheye rear view because I could instantly tell if the way is clear rather than backing up at a crawl until I have a clear view through my windows.

I’m wondering if it might be a connection issue rather than a component issue. Something I can fix or ask the dealer to try while I wait for the part to come in.

Cheers.

Back