• Register Today It's free!

Dash rattle

suzook

Reaction score
City, State
ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Yes, I searched, but there seems to be nothing on newer explorers. I have an extremely annoying rattle in the dash area on my new 2018 explorer. Any ideas? It's driving me nuts, and can't locate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think it really matters what year the Explorer is. I believe the dashes are all pretty much the same given the trim, and a rattle is still a rattle. One of the more common complaints was the glovebox if I recall. When does it occur? All the time or under certain conditions? Can you reproduce it by knocking on the dash? Did you browse the existing threads?

Peter

Take a look at the rear view mirror, I thought I had a dash rattle but it turned out it was the piece that is taped onto the RVM.

Take a look at the rear view mirror, I thought I had a dash rattle but it turned out it was the piece that is taped onto the RVM.
Nothing taped to my rvm. Are you talking about the piece that covers the wire on the windshield that feeds the mirror? I gotta be honest, but GM now builds better interiors than Ford. My 3 year old Camaro had not one rattle. And that's after 30k hard miles with a hard riding suspension.

I don't think it really matters what year the Explorer is. I believe the dashes are all pretty much the same given the trim, and a rattle is still a rattle. One of the more common complaints was the glovebox if I recall. When does it occur? All the time or under certain conditions? Can you reproduce it by knocking on the dash? Did you browse the existing threads?

Peter
When I'm driving over bumpy roads. It's not the glovebox. I can't replicate it banging on everything. I might have to have my wife drive as I press on parts as she's driving.

Squeaks, creaks and rattles since day one.

Nothing taped to my rvm. Are you talking about the piece that covers the wire on the windshield that feeds the mirror? I gotta be honest, but GM now builds better interiors than Ford. My 3 year old Camaro had not one rattle. And that's after 30k hard miles with a hard riding suspension.

Sorry, I was talking about the piece that is attached to the windshield that the RVM clamps into.

For what it's worth--the side panels on the dash pop off near the door, at least on the driver's side quite easily. Have a look-see.

My rattle starts at speeds above 45mph. Drove about 250 miles this morning without a peep. Hit some rough pavement and...rattle...It sounds lijev its coming through the defroster vent.

Help.

LOL, it was my wifes sunglasses

My rattle starts at speeds above 45mph. Drove about 250 miles this morning without a peep. Hit some rough pavement and...rattle...It sounds lijev its coming through the defroster vent.

Help.

I have this same rattle - sometimes. And then there's the rattle/creak from the back seat LATCH anchors.

I'm interested to see what you find on this since I haven't had time to investigate much.

My 2016 has done everything I needed it to do and generally performed well, but doesn't seem particularly well built.

Help.

I have this same rattle - sometimes. And then there's the rattle/creak from the back seat LATCH anchors.

I'm interested to see what you find on this since I haven't had time to investigate much.

My 2016 has done everything I needed it to do and generally performed well, but doesn't seem particularly well built.
Could it be possible the blend door is making noise? No idea how you would check though...

Could it be possible the blend door is making noise? No idea how you would check though...
I thought about maybe the door that covers the cabin air filter didn't get snapped in quite right too. I just haven't had time to do any investigating and didn't know if anyone else found the culprit.

For the blend door, short of disassembling things, maybe changing the temperature settings to see if the door in (presumably) a different position made a difference in the rattle.

Yea i would agree with that set it so it flops over to other side ect. Also so yes i had a cabin air that did get assembled with the foam once and it didnt rattle but you could hear it flop up when you went on high or down when you shut off air con.

Yes, I searched, but there seems to be nothing on newer explorers. I have an extremely annoying rattle in the dash area on my new 2018 explorer. Any ideas? It's driving me nuts, and can't locate it.
Did you ever determine the cause as I have it too and would love to know how to get rid of it’s

Back