Rubitracks

Reaction score
City, State
Tignish, PEI Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer xlt 4x4
6D325757-70C2-4B49-A4D7-A6ED4A155050.jpeg
15A85B23-52A7-4BE6-918E-3D78A222FD7B.jpeg
Hey everyone, new to the forum! I have a question, I bought this old 96 explorer, 4.0 auto, xlt I believe, has 4wd auto t case. Anyhow, previous owner determined that the module was killing the battery so they put in a module from a 2wd. Try as I might I was unable to find a module so I did a little work around. Since this is a dedicated tracked suv, I jimmy rigged the front axle, ran the brown wire to a toggle and the actuator is run by a reversing switch. All that stuff now works fine, but when I shift the t case into low range it revs 5k between shifts. I assume it senses speed from the tail shaft vss for shifting and since I’m bypassing the computer to put it in low range, it likely thinks it isn’t going fast enough to grab a gear. So... my question is, is there a way to trick the system or do need the module to convert the speed? they put Shiftsters on these rigs, somebody must have had the same problem. Cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OMG I love it

I have several vehicles on tracks, none of them as massive as your 4 door explorer!!
I would REMOVE the control trac and E shift t case and install a manual shift transfer case Borg Warner 1354m but that is just me

Okay so your 97 explorer came with whats called control trac 4wd, or automatic 4wd transfer case. It sounds like the GEM module was replaced due to being faulty, and it was replaced with a 2wd unit, leaving your ESOF (electrnic shift on the fly) 4x4 inoperable. So you made it work by wiring it to toggle switches.
Well what if I told you you can wire in a stand alone 4x4 control module that will take over control of your transfer case,
Basically if you wire up the "motorolla box" found in 2002+ Fords you can keep your 4x4 dash switch and your transfer case and make it work again.

So option 1: Manual transfer case
Option 2: Wire in stand alone 4x4 control module

My question to you:
Does the truck shift normally in 4wd high range?

If you ever sell this truck, get rid of the tracks, anything of that nature PLEASE let me have a chance to buy it :) I would LOVE to have a tracked explorer...we use tracks to get in and out of our house in the winter....I am in North Idaho

Thanks for sharing!!

Hey, I build the tracks so if you want a set, hit me up ;) the explorer is a budget build, I got it cheap because of the module but being a budget build I don’t really want to get into a t case swap. Yes it does shift fine when in high range. Your ‘ motorolla’ Box I suspect would yield the same results if its stand alone, from what I understand the vss tells the pcm when to shift, something must be in between telling the pcm when it’s in 4 low, probably the module but I was hoping there might be a cheat.

Depends on what 97 you have. They changed mid year.

Early version has the VSS in the T-case, and uses a U-joint front drive shaft at the case. Later year uses the ABS sensor in the rear axle, and has a CV front drive shaft at the T-case.

A 1354 Manual T-case swap IS a cheap solution. They can be had for $75 all day long in my area. They are much stronger, and much more reliable than that electric clutch 4405 case your running now. They are made to go to the mall, and any hard use on them, they will grenade, and leave you stranded. You use the same rear drive shaft, and if yours is the early 97, the same Dbl Cardon front.

If yours is the CV style 4405 case, and you decide to install the much stronger manual 1354, your going to have to use the VSS gear sensor in the case. A little research here should help you with that conversion.

BTW... That track is sick!! :D

Depends on what 97 you have. They changed mid year.

Early version has the VSS in the T-case, and uses a U-joint front drive shaft at the case. Later year uses the ABS sensor in the rear axle, and has a CV front drive shaft at the T-case.

A 1354 Manual T-case swap IS a cheap solution. They can be had for $75 all day long in my area. They are much stronger, and much more reliable than that electric clutch 4405 case your running now. They are made to go to the mall, and any hard use on them, they will grenade, and leave you stranded. You use the same rear drive shaft, and if yours is the early 97, the same Dbl Cardon front.

If yours is the CV style 4405 case, and you decide to install the much stronger manual 1354, your going to have to use the VSS gear sensor in the case. A little research here should help you with that conversion.

BTW... That track is sick!! :D
It’s

It’s a 96 not a 97, vss is in the case. The issues is not shifting the case, I have that covered, it’s getting the computer to shift the tranny at the right speed when in low range since there’s nothing telling it that it’s in low range, it thinks is only going 1/2 as fast. I don’t see swapping the t case solving this problem. If this case leaves me stranded we will drag it home, and swap it then, o big deal.

Sorry, I read 97. With the 96, your golden for the manual swap. This swap takes all of 1 hour to do for the case, and a little time to run the shifter up into the cab.

When swapping to the manual, you unplug the 4405 harness and leave it off. It no longer reads the hall sensors and you no longer have the issue your experiencing with it now. The VSS sensor is wired into the trans harness to the engine harness, not the 4405 harness to the GEM.

These cases use the ABS sensors along with the hall sensors, into the GEM, and then to the ECM. Your bypassing all that with the manual case.

I consider this a cheap budget Mod, and an easy solution to your electrical issue. If your dead set on keeping the 4405 and wiring it to work, I understand that too, but be prepared for some headaches, and frustration doing so.

But how does it know when to shift the tranny? Everything I read says I need the vss sensor for shift points. I’ll to some google research on the hall sensor.

96 VSS is a double function unit.

The VSS tells the trans what gear to be in. When this goes bad, the trans doesn't know what gear to be in, and the engine will rev up and down, the gears will change radically, searching for the proper gear.

The toothed gear on the VSS controls shift points (reads revolutions of the T-case gear), telling the ECM to shift gears, by knowing the MPH, and the TPS reading.

I believe the hall sensors getting misinformation / no info, from the 2wd GEM, are what's causing your rpm issue.

To be safe....You might want to replace/test the VSS unit and see if that's broken or not.

The vss is reading accurately, or at least relative to the speedometer, when in high range it shifts properly, smoothly and at the right time, but since I’m putting it in 4 lo manually, and the vss is picking up the reduced speed of the tail shaft, it thinks it’s going half as fast so I have to double the revs essentially before it will shift. My theory is that somehow the module when working correctly compensates for the reduced speed and adjusts shift points accordingly. But in my situation, it doesn’t know it’s in low range so it’s forcing me to reach speeds that it would in high range before it will shift. But I’m not entirely sure, I will consider your advice.
96 VSS is a double function unit.

The VSS tells the trans what gear to be in. When this goes bad, the trans doesn't know what gear to be in, and the engine will rev up and down, the gears will change radically, searching for the proper gear.

The toothed gear on the VSS controls shift points (reads revolutions of the T-case gear), telling the ECM to shift gears, by knowing the MPH, and the TPS reading.

I believe the hall sensors getting misinformation / no info, from the 2wd GEM, are what's causing your rpm issue.

To be safe....You might want to replace/test the VSS unit and see if that's broken or not.
I

I would just get the proper GEM unit if you want to keep the 4405. The extra load of the tracks is almost guaranteed to kill it, but a module from a pick and pull is almost surely to be under $50.

I would just get the proper GEM unit if you want to keep the 4405. The extra load of the tracks is almost guaranteed to kill it, but a module from a pick and pull is almost surely to be under $50.
It’s 10 years too old to find anything at a pick and pull within 1000 miles, Canadian winters have eaten most of these up long ago, can’t even find one online which is why I got it so cheap.

It’s 10 years too old to find anything at a pick and pull within 1000 miles, Canadian winters have eaten most of these up long ago, can’t even find one online which is why I got it so cheap.
I may have found a work around though, I’m told if I start in low instead of drive and shift up, it might shift manually, will find out tonight

well....i have evils old one, and dono's. BUT, im not sure they will work or not. evils is a 98, and dono's is a 2000. if anyone can say those gems will work in his, yea, i can ship one out

I have a box full of Gem's would have to look through them to see if I have a 97 V6
I concur that you should consider ditching the control trac transfer case in favor of a 1354 manual, you have already done half the work since the truck thinks it is 2wd (control trac already deleted)

Back