Need opinions of 2001 5.0L Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need opinions of 2001 5.0L Explorer

Seats would likely be much cheaper. I think my pick and pull sells them for $25. I’m waiting for a nice leather Mounty seat to make an office chair out of.
Yeah, if I can find some decent ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a 2001 2WD 5.0 Premier, and absolutely loved it right up to the moment I rolled it.

I currently have a 2000 AWD 5.0 that has the manual transfer case swapped in making it a 2000 4WD 5.0.

As long as the body will hold together 300,000 miles is a definite probability.

Quality replacement seat covers are available in leather or vinyl. Replacement bottom foam is also available. Leather seat bottom or top run around $200, vinyl for around $130.

I've seen replacement leather bottoms for around $130 on eBay (quality unknown).

I doubt you're going to find good Gen II used leather seats at the salvage yard at this point. Passenger side - maybe. Even with care the newest year Gen II leather ('01) is 18+ years old. I replaced my driver's seat bottom 6 years ago with a new leather bottom from theseatshop.com. Very nice, as good as OE. $195 + shipping. Installed it myself, pretty easy to do.

But, any of the seats up through around 2010(?) will bolt up to the original platform.

I've seen some nice Navi and Expedition seats in Gen IIs.

But, any of the seats up through around 2010(?) will bolt up to the original platform.

I'd wondered if the newer seats will bolt to the Gen II platforms. Good to know.

You can put new model seats in these? Like lets say sets out of a 07 Expedition? Lincoln Towncars too? I know where a set of those are I'd run if they are anything close to workable.

Wow, that's good to know.

If the rust under the truck isn't too bad, buy it. Base the price paid on the rust level it has, the lifespan of the truck will be limited by that, not the drivetrain.
If it is an AWD, be very very sure that all four tires are the same diameter. If they are not, the AWD transfer case will die sooner than later. They don't last long with mismatched tires, and the cost of an AWD rebuild is high. The parts run almost $500, most rebuilt units you find will be $900ish.

For the WP leak, I'd suggest paying someone to replace the WP, and while there, also replace the timing cover gasket, and the timing chain set. The labor for all of that is about the same for each item, but the parts are only about $125.

Good luck, save that truck.

Back