2015 Rack and Pinion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Rack and Pinion

JoPark55

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Hi all, Im not sure if there has been a post about this or not, so excuse me if there is one already.

I have a 2015 XLT w/54k miles and per my mechanic, the rack and pinion needs to be replaced. They checked the sway bar links, and upper strut mounts and all were ok. And..wow it is not cheep as the warranty has expired. I know it maybe a bit dramatic, but part of me wants to fix it and trade it in. So my question, is this something that I will have to replace in another 50k miles? Has anyone else had this issue?

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the issue?

There is very loud and apparent klunking/banging noise coming from the front end when turning the wheel sharply left and right. When moving slowly and also when not moving and just turning the wheel. Will make the noise 2-3 times when Turning the wheel right and same going left. No noise when going over or hitting bumps in the road.

Unless you really trust your mechanic, I Would check strut bearings myself since you can do it in a few minutes in your driveway.
This is a very common failure for this car also. My passenger failed at around 60k. You can put your hand on the spring and feel the spring pop,if it’s bad, as someone else inside turns the wheel lock to lock. Compare left and right side. If the bearing is really bad it may produce a clunky sound also.

The rack does not seem like a source of kluncking to me. If the rack was making that much noise I think you would be having some serious steering issues also. I believe most rack failures are electrical in nature also.

Search strut bearing in this forum.

Before I spent $2000 on a rack I would take it to another mechanic for second opinion. Belle tire did my strut bearing for $200.

I had this same issue at 15k miles. It was replaced through the dealer, but to be honest, I think they just replaced everything because they couldn’t find the root cause.

My 2015 has 24k miles now and I’m sure it will happen again. We have a couple cars though so not too worried about it.

I had this same issue at 15k miles. It was replaced through the dealer, but to be honest, I think they just replaced everything because they couldn’t find the root cause.

My 2015 has 24k miles now and I’m sure it will happen again. We have a couple cars though so not too worried about it.

Update. I had the sway bar links replaced and that didn’t solve the noise. I checked the struts and mounts myself via placing my hand on them while someone turn the wheel. I didn’t feel anything when the noise happened.

Was it the rack and pinion that was replaced through the dealer or something else?

Thanks for the information

It may be worth your time to take it to the dealer to have them diagnose it (assuming you haven't yet). Maybe they will offer a break on the rack if they agree that's the issue. Maybe if you are lucky there is a TSB on it or extended service campaign in effect. Worse case it requires a new rack and they wont help at all, then you can compare their quote to an independant shop.

Update. I had the sway bar links replaced and that didn’t solve the noise. I checked the struts and mounts myself via placing my hand on them while someone turn the wheel. I didn’t feel anything when the noise happened.

Was it the rack and pinion that was replaced through the dealer or something else?

Thanks for the information

It was the whole rack. It’s electronic so not really much choice, you will want OEM. They initially swapped end links and mounts. Didn’t help.

Take it to the dealer and pay the diagnostic fee. I don’t recall seeing a TSB or anything.

Sounds exactly what it’s going to end up being. There is a Lincoln dealership I was at and talking to the parts manager about it yesterday, I’ll have to bring it in.

Thank you

Back