Where is the TCC fuse? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where is the TCC fuse?

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
2002 V6 Explorer, 48K mi.

The O/D Off light has started flashing when I get up to 50mph.

I have read here probably the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) but I should first check the TCC fuse to make sure it's still good.

I've been through my manual and there is no mention of a TCC fuse in the fuse diagrams, under dash or under hood.

Does it go by another name?

thanks,

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rob, I don't think there is such a fuse. May I suggest having the diagnostic codes read? That is generally the place to start. Best wishes.

@Recoil Rob Your symptoms strongly suggest that the Torque Converter Clutch is not engaging when commanded to do so. Most often, this is due to problems outside of the converter itself, thankfully. \

You can test whether the TCC is engaged or not by using your eyes and gas pedal foot. After reaching speed on nice level road at about 55 or so, the TCC should be engaged. If it is, adding a very slight bit of gas pedal pressure should produce no quick jump in tachometer reading. If it jumps up a bit, the TCC is not enghaged.

Another check is to "count shifts". Accelerating lightly but enough to reach 50+ mph, watch the tachometer as the shifts occur. It drops slightly as each one occurs. First drop is shift to 2nd. gear, second drop, 3rd. gear, third drop 4th. gear, fourth drop 5th. gear, then another drop which looks like a "shift" is actually the TCC engaging. No drop after 5th. gear, TCC has failed to engage. If that happens, the computer (PCM), which is comparing engine speed with transmission input shaft speed (torque converter output speed), detects a difference in those two shaft speeds. They must be identical if the TCC is engaged. If they don't match, PCM begins blinking the O/D OFF light as a warning. imp

Getting the codes read tomorrow, will report back.

To do the road test you suggest at 55mph the O/D Off light will start to flash, does that make a difference?

that means the toque converter is not in lock up mode,and is not fully engaged,or slippage. turn off the od button on the shifter at 55 there should be two shifts when you turn the od button back on. One being od and the second is your torque converter in full lock up..

I think you're missing the point. At 50 mph the light starts flashing ad doesn't stop until the engine is turned off. While the light is flashing pressing the button does nothing.

Just got back from my mechanic , the codes are

1. P0732, Gear 2 incorrect ratio
  2. P0735, Gear 5 incorrect ratio
  3. P0775, Pressure Control Solenoid
I had the Ford dealer do a tranny drain and fill about 2000 miles ago and now this happens

What to do. I can drive for now, just not much over 50, it never gets into OD.

I had the Ford dealer do a tranny drain and fill about 2000 miles ago and now this happens

Mechanic tells me he can try to use a BG trans. flush to see if it helps. If that works the tranny is covered for 30K miles up to $4K for replacement or repair.

What to do. I can drive for now, just not much over 5, it never gets into OD.
@Recoil Rob
The O/D OFF light flashing is used for a warning for many types of failure, not only TCC. The first 2 codes state shaft speed ratios are out of expected range. P0775 is Pressure Control Solenoid B, there are THREE pressure control solenoids, all having different uses.

The most likely thing here is the OD Band is beginning to slip. It is applied in both Gear 2 and Gear 5. Only way PCM has of "knowing" a band is slipping is by detecting shaft speed incorrectness. Thus "incorrect ratio" call-out.

Pressure Solenoid B is active in varying fluid pressure during shifting into 2nd. and 5th. gears. It's possible PCM is detecting incorrect shaft speed ratios due to the solenoid being faulty or failed.

Getting the codes read tomorrow, will report back.

To do the road test you suggest at 55mph the O/D Off light will start to flash, does that make a difference?
@Recoil Rob
Not sure you understand. If the TCC is failing to engage, the O/D OFF light will flash. YOU attempt to find out if that f;lashing is due to the TCC or something else, by doing the tachometer read test. Since your codes say otherwise, we know now, the TCC is likely not involved at all. imp

I did the tachometer read test on the way to the mechanic. At 55 on a level rd tapping the gas very lightly caused the tach to jump 3-400 rpm.

And yes, I am still a bit confused, am I going to need a new tranny or rebuild?

thanks for the help.

Mechanic tells me he can try to use a BG trans. flush to see if it helps. If that works the tranny is covered for 30K miles up to $4K for replacement or repair.

This could also be a worn OD servo bore, now worn to the point that pressure is slipping past the leaking piston bore and is not fully engaging that band. A flush will not correct that.

Do you get a shift flare between 1st and 2nd? What is the engine RPM at top MPH?

A shift flare is when the rpm’s ‘flare’ upwards before a shift, like the transmission slips for a split second.

By top MPH, I was relating to what top speed you were driving at.

I took that 5 as a typo for 50 MPH. You seem confident that it is not shifting into OD, and high RPM at highway speed would confirm.

I did the tachometer read test on the way to the mechanic. At 55 on a level rd tapping the gas very lightly caused the tach to jump 3-400 rpm.

And yes, I am still a bit confused, am I going to need a new tranny or rebuild?

thanks for the help.
@Recoil Rob
You have determined that the Torque Converter Clutch is not being engaged. But, since your codes indicate trouble not related to the TCC, you can rule out TCC Solenoid and the clutch system itself. The TCC is remaining unengaged because of other problems.

As suggested, the O/D Servo may be examined as the trouble source. This can be done without transmission removal. If the Servo and it's bore are OK, a rebuild is in order. imp

@Recoil Rob @drdoom I found by accident that when the O/D OFF light is flashing, 5th gear (if operational) is blocked, as is also Speed Control.

FWIW. imp

Interesting, my speed control works fine.

Anyway, I've been living without 2nd and 5th gears for almost a year now.

1. Turn OD off when you turn the key on but before starting (this way you can see the light on and know it's off).
2. Put trans in "3" to start from a stop and cruise around neighborhoods below 30. It will feel like you have a CVT.
3. Shift to "D" when you reach 30mph.
4. Shift back to "3" when at a stop and repeat step 3.

I do 70mph in 4th gear just fine, engine at about 3200RPM with my 3.73 axle. My TCC is working.

I have to back off 1st gear to shift into second when cold, other wise OK when warm. I get about the same speed in 4th as you.

I have to back off 1st gear to shift into second when cold, other wise OK when warm.

Ya, I do that when I have a "need" for 1st, like when towing a trailer or going up a steep hill.

If it's ok when warm are you sure you're not just low on fluid?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back