Driver's Side Door Lock Not Working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver's Side Door Lock Not Working

Ford Family Man

Reaction score
City, State
Conroe, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Ltd
For some reason, my driver's side door lock stopped working. The auto unlock, remote unlock and door unlock will not work however, all other door locks work. I read that it may have its own relay but can't find information on my model anywhere online to locate where it is. I located a main relay behind glovebox but that's it. Any help appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last week, on my wife's 14 Explorer XLT, while I took it to the store, I noticed the drivers door wouldn't lock/unlock when I hit the key fob. All other doors locked and the alarm set, but nothing on the drivers door. Does anybody know what the issue could be? I figured it's in the door lock mechanism, but what part, the motor, relay, etc.....? Also, along with this issue we've been noticing that the alarm sets itself sometime where the horn will honk like 3 or 4 times randomly, lights will just keep flashing for about 20-30 seconds, etc... Not sure if that's tied to the door issue, but I'm at a loss right now.

Your thread was merged with this one on the same topic regarding the door lock.

Peter

Your thread was merged with this one on the same topic regarding the door lock.

Peter
Um, ok.. I posted my question in my own thread, because this post is 8 months old and nobody ever replied to the OP.

Since it will not lock or unlock I would suspect the lock motor itself within the door or a wiring issue. If it was just the unlock that didn't work then it would be the relay within the BCM.

Um, ok.. I posted my question in my own thread, because this post is 8 months old and nobody ever replied to the OP.

That doesnt matter. We combine same topic discussions into 1 thread to keep the information together. This prevents a dozen threads (example) from being spread out and people repeating the same thing.

Just because there was no answer, doesnt mean it wont be answered now. Afterall, it has now been moved to the top of the forum for all to see.

If anyone has an answer, they will still reply in here.

It doesn't matter how old a thread is. When you post in it, the thread automatically goes back to the beginning of the subforum for all to see.

Peter

The most common cause of the drivers door lock not working is a broken or chafed wire. Because the drivers door is opened far more often than any of the other doors the wires are exposed to more movement. Check where the wires come out of the front fender, where they enter the door. Wiggle the wires to try to get the lock to work to confirm the diagnosis.

Ok, I'll try that tonight after the wife gets home. If it doesn't work and I have to get a new actuator, what's the difference in one that says "with Keyfob ID Card" and "without Keyfob ID Card"?

Ok, I'll try that tonight after the wife gets home. If it doesn't work and I have to get a new actuator, what's the difference in one that says "with Keyfob ID Card" and "without Keyfob ID Card"?
That question has been asked before and I don't recall anyone ever getting an answer to it.

Peter

Ok, I picked up a new actuator from Ford yesterday. Now, I'm trying to take the old one out, but I can't figure out how to get the rod loose that goes up to the outer door handle. I don't know if you're supposed to try to unclip it at the top on the door handle or at the bottom on the actuator itself. Also, the window channel is attached to the actuator. Do I have to take the window channel out with the actuator? I can't find one single help video ANYWHERE on the internet on how to remove these damn things on a 2014.

Back