Keep on wheelin John Rock
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
York, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer
The theme for December's lottery is simply another "Generic". Have fun, can end the year by giving yourself a free elite membership simply by entering.

The ending and draw date will on or about Dec 30th.

Goal: To encourage members of the Explorer Forum to submit a photo and/or vid, or written story in accordance with the theme and award two members with an one year elite membership.

Only one submission to be entered into the drawing per member. Submission can contain multiable pics and or video(s) and/or links to pics/vids. Members are encouraged to post positive feedback.

Reminder: only one submission per member. (I am now just going to mark any extra submissions as "not for submission".)
December's EF Lottery is going to be another generic theme, plus will be shorter than normal so I can get back to a more reasonable drawing time frame.
The Lottery information thread will be updated by January"s Lottery. A few changes will be made.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a video of my Explorer (4.0 OHV) with no muffler and no catalytic converters when I was attempting to see if my cat was broken. I did not rev her above 3,000 rpm because she just started up and I did not want to risk blowing the engine by redlining.

Now I want a louder muffler.

got this of evil a while back one morning headed to the drag strip

things to note
you can hear it clear as a bell over the music thats playing
how hard it squats downshifting to first
it doesnt have a shift kit

got this of evil a while back one morning headed to the drag strip

things to note
you can hear it clear as a bell over the music thats playing
how hard it squats downshifting to first
it doesnt have a shift kit

Nice :burnout:

Here's a little vid I filmed a few years ago of Pickle messing around in the snow.

Si

That almost makes me miss snow!

Almost!!! ;)

Here's a little vid I filmed a few years ago of Pickle messing around in the snow.

Si

It's all fun until you break through the ice! :p

Explorer Christmas Story

In 1999, my wife and I decided to spend our first Christmas together with her mother in Custer, WA (just south of the Canadian border). We took my 93 red Explorer, loaded with “stuff,” a rooftop box, her food-and-swimming obsessive Black Lab, and my “everything belongs to me” bossy Doberman.

My mother-in-law had a nice tree in the living room, with baked and colored flour and water ornaments (made by my wife’s young niece and nephew). We were eating dinner with my wife’s mother, sister and said niece and nephew, when we heard loud crunching noises from the living room.

Yes, the Lab was eating the ornaments! The Doberman followed suit after the Lab proved they were edible. The relatives were quite upset and our family visit got a bit tense after that. I really thought the dogs and I were going to be banished to spend the rest of the visit in the Explorer! But everyone eventually calmed down.

We left on December 30th, in the midst of a giant snowstorm that pretty much closed down Seattle, and DID close down I-5 from the Oregon border south to Redding, CA for almost a week. I kept the Explorer in 4WD, in snow, all the way to Roseburg, OR (then west to the coast, avoiding being stuck and evacuated from I-5). My AT tires worked great, and the Explorer performed like a champ the whole way. That’s probably why First Gen Explorers have a special place in my heart.

It was truly a Christmas we will all never forget!

A happy Explorer!
Going to Washington.jpg

Cold wife and dogs taking a rest break in the snow on the way back to California.
Brenda-dogs-and-snow.jpg

[Not for consideration]

That is a great story. Labs sure have a nose on them. LOL!

Well...my story begins in 1997, with respect to my Mountaineer. My wife was pregnant with our daughter, and our 'family' car was a 1986 Montero 2-door - not exactly babyseat friendly. My favorite uncle drove his new 1997 Mountaineer to a family function, blue, 302, leather...what was not to like. The V8 returned the same fuel economy as our 2.6L 4-cyl, towed a boat...and way more goodies than the base Montero. In the interim, we had a nice 1997 Taurus LX wagon, and the Mountaineer feels like home.

My children have now long outgrown the need for the Mountaineer. My aunt and uncle moved on through a handful of cars, but kept the Mountaineer as a third vehicle. Largely in stasis for a decade plus, the Mountaineer traveled to the dump a few times...racking up about 250 miles in that time. Then, one day surprise, my uncle asked if I wanted the Mountaineer. Without a second thought, answered yes. Since mid-year, I've put about 2500 miles on the Mountaineer, daughter wanted to name it Mercenary Sgt. Sapphire, and that didn't quite take. I think we're looking at Freddie now. The family likes Queen, and though unoriginal in name, the spirit is there. My son is driving this right now, while his vehicle is repaired following a fender bender. I told him to be nice to "my" car.

I've replaced the 20-yo tires, had the mechanic solve the valve cover leaks and replace some ball joints. My Mitsubishi friends have recommended that I keep this vehicle near stock as possible, as I've been working on a highly modified Mighty Max for a few years already. Running boards have to go, strong dislike for the tripping hazard they present to me, and I've found the same color trim on an Explorer that is just a rocker cover. Someone above posted about too much quiet, I'm totally there...thinking Purple Hornies.

Cheers to the members here and Happy Holidays,
Russell (aka Rocks In Head)

20181218_140322.jpg

9A176339-E5F6-4184-944A-85C6FEAB4070.jpeg
I guess you can’t get much more generic than a white gen II in the snow!

“Harper” came to me from a buddy didn’t know what to do with him... he’d had the transmission rebuilt and the alternator replaced, when his wife decided she didn’t care much for it. It sat for almost a year before he offered it to me after the anti theft system tripped and he could no longer get it started...

I’ve got minimal $ in it, and it currently has 230k miles on the clock, and for almost a year, it’s been a pretty good daily driver to keep the miles off of my f150...

Was pretty impressed how well he trundled through the “snowmagedden” we received a while back, at least until the transfer case decided it needed a vacation...

My mom bought the explorer when I was about 14. It quickly became mine. Old guy has been with me for awhile now, always making memories.
Here's prom of idk 2010? Ain't so shiny these days.

218169_155413777855500_7195732_n.jpg

Congrats to @blueka and @whitebread for winning the Dec EF lottery!!

Well, my idea of getting back on track did not work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back