Starkman's Explorer build thread | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starkman's Explorer build thread

Do you have the original rear bumper you built for it or was it used for the new one as well? I would buy the old one from you, it is just what I am looking for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any New Updates. Love this build. Also With your front end disconnecting the Sway bar was there any effect with the Front end at all as in Binding?

Sorry missed that question, with the sway bar removed I definitely get a lot of body roll but it’s not a canyon burner so I’m good with that. As far as binding, I’m guessing you mean cv axle bind? No, the shocks stop the suspension before bind.

Well no new updates other than it’s leaking pretty bad from the rear main seal. I’ve been driving my Mazda truck mostly.

Sorry missed that question, with the sway bar removed I definitely get a lot of body roll but it’s not a canyon burner so I’m good with that. As far as binding, I’m guessing you mean cv axle bind? No, the shocks stop the suspension before bind.

Thank you sir. That was what I was wanting to know.

Your welcome, there is a lot of misconception about binding. The downward suspension travel is limited by the shock and doing a torsion twist doesn’t change that only where it sits in that stock travel. The problem with this type of lift is how it will top out over bumps. The rebound of the suspension after hitting a bump will hit the limit (shock) and this is a bad feeling. Hope that make sense.

Yes made sense thank you. :) still like how your build is. I want to do the same with mine.

Great build, What gears are your running? Did your Eddie come with the 4:10s?

Tim

Never got to swapping in better gears, still running stock 3.73.

Your welcome, there is a lot of misconception about binding. The downward suspension travel is limited by the shock and doing a torsion twist doesn’t change that only where it sits in that stock travel. The problem with this type of lift is how it will top out over bumps. The rebound of the suspension after hitting a bump will hit the limit (shock) and this is a bad feeling. Hope that make sense.

I've gone through some shock bushings because of this. I even tried some energy suspension bushings and blew them out just as fast. Limiting straps would be a good idea to stop this.

Great build! I found this post when looking to modify a TJ bumper I have on hand to fit my 98 XLT. Looks like I will be using your idea to make this work.

Any way to get a few more pictures of the TJ Bumper setup when you get a chance for inspiration haha!?

This probably was her last off road adventure before the snow fell.

Breckenridge Peak 10 trail
IMG_3770-M.jpg

IMG_3779-M.jpg

VERY Nice! Hello Rich!!
"I’ve been driving my Mazda truck mostly."

HECK YES this is nice to hear

How is the "Ice truck" doing these days? Is CO getting any ice racing in 2018?

Well the story comes to an end. I'm sad...

IMG_1805.jpg

My replacement;

thumbnail_IMG_1852.jpg

Yes you have gone to the semi dark side. If that was a Chevy I would say you have already been turned...but since its just a big explorer there is still hope we can bring you back into the light!!

Is that a 97-98 Exped with solid rear axle?? What are plans? more space?

Wow, I did let this thread go.

Front bumper

Bought a Smitty Built bumper for a TJ Wrangler. Walked into 4Wheel Parts and they were selling a floor display for $100.

The mount dimensions are basically 2"x4" so I cut the frame rails and welded a 2x4 piece of tubing on simple as that.
View attachment 412316
View attachment 412317
You may notice a plastic trim cover attached to the bottom of the body to cover up the now exposed inner fender. I used the lower spoiler from the stock bumper cover. Ended up pretty good..
View attachment 412318

I know that. this is an old thread and you don't have this vehicle anymore, but do you have pictures showing the complete smittybilt front bumper you used?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back