Locked ignition - theft light blinking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Locked ignition - theft light blinking

Alex Reid

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer V6
I've recently inherited a 2002 Explorer V6 which my friend gave to me after she'd had it broken into. Some junkies put a fire extinguisher through the window on the tailgate. Me and a friend replaced the tailgate with one from a newer 2002 model, but most components were compatible and the door works fine. However, after running it for a couple days, the ignition mysteriously locked up and now I can't get the key to turn at all. The theft light blinks intermittently. The truck had been left unlocked overnight so I guessed that someone had tried something with the ignition, but there are no signs of violence. I've tried every jiggling trick in the book, unhooked the battery, every simple solution I could think of, but this eludes me. Now when I hook the battery back up the alarm starts every time. I can't help but think it has something to do with the new rear hatch, but if that were the case I don't know why it wouldn't have begun immediately after we installed it. Another thing to note is that the remote locking fob is aftermarket. Anyone dealt with a similar issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the key wont turn? The theft device wont turn off until the key is turned, to the on position...

If the key is stuck and wont come out, the only thing to do is take it apart, disassemble it to find the problem, it may be broken inside. A good time to do that is when the battery is disconnected. Like was stated in above post, the only way to disable the security is to put the proper key in the ignition and turn it "ON". You don't want to damage your good key if the lock cylinder is damaged, disassembly may be the only way to get it out.

Make sure the key goes in all the way,if you are sure it does (do not force the key in to hard ) try a little wd40 not too much though, it is an electrical switch. if it does not go in all the way, and someone has been messing with it like you thought, there might be something stuck in the switch.. one more thing try to turn the steering wheel as you turn the key left and right..

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm going to tear it apart today and investigate a bit further.

Make sure you try withdrawing the key slightly, don't just bottom it out and then turn.

Back