Hello, I'm new here .wanted to ask a question? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello, I'm new here .wanted to ask a question?

kjcvel07

Reaction score
City, State
Euclid
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer sport
I have a 2002 ford explorer sport manual transmission. I'm changing the transfer case fluid and was recommended by my local ford dealer to use mercon v .I've seen a lot of opinions online and was wondering if anyone has solid advice on if this is safe to use? My manual calls for mercon muti purpose ATF.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see ,yeah that does seem to be the case. Ty for the help

Short video from post #16 link above.

in the 1354e transfer case your 2002 Sport uses you can Run Mercon III or Mercon V the transfer case does not care and it does not share fluid with the transmission
So any good ATF will actually work, I use Mercon V because it is what I have in stock always.
The same is true for your 5 speed manual transmission, Mercon V is a good choice, but any good ATF will work
You are not dealing with automatic transmissions here just gearboxes and chain driven t case....no wet clutches or anything strange in your truck

I've had two Explorers with manual transmissions, and both of them did not like Mercon V fluid before or after rebuilds. Ford says they are interchangeable and maybe in most applications they are, but it appears to be the wrong viscosity or has the wrong friction properties for smooth shifting in a manual transmission.

I would highly recommend multipurpose Dex/Merc fluid instead. GM has rebranded Dex III as "Manual Transmission and transfer case fluid" which the dealer (or Amazon) carries, but it's almost certainly just cheap Dex III fluid that you can get at Walmart. I just filled my rebuilt manual transmission with this and the difference between it and Mercon V is very noticeable. Mercon V was super notchy and with inconsistent engagement.

I've tried the fancy synthetic ATFs and oils (5w-20, 5w-30, synchromesh, etc) and none of them were as good as regular cheap Dex/Merc fluid or GM's manual transmission fluid.

I bought several gallons of synthetic Mercron at Walmart, I've used it in all my Explorers and a GMC Suburban transfer case. I would of prefered Mobil1--but $$$

Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it. I'll most likely use valvoline or modile

kjcvel07

Since you mentioned Valvoline fluid I'll pass this along; I've found that the best price for Valvoline Synthetic ATF is at Walmart.com = $18 for a Gallon Jug

You can pick up in your store for free, or order 2 Jugs and get it delivered for free to your door.

1 Gallon should get you to squeak by and cover both the transmission and transfer case.

Link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvolin...utomatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Gallon/15125768

HTH and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Excellent, I appreciate the tips☺

Excellent, I appreciate the tips☺

I've used Valvoline in all my Exploders (5) and my GMC Suburban 4x4. It was used in my long ago---sold at a loss---XJ Jeeps too. It's also in the trannie of my moms Honda Accord.

All the feedback and help is so greatly appreciated ☺

Back