• Register Today It's free!

04 Rough idle problem

dvalot03

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello all,

I have a 04 explorer 4x4 4.0 My problem is that at idle I have a very rough idle and some killer exhaust fumes. My truck has 75k on it. Now I have had the fuel filter replaced the throttle body cleaned and have had new plugs and wires put in. PCV checked out ok. I do not notice any vaccum leaks on it. Oil changed every 3-4k. Fuel injector cleaner used every 3 or 4 months. NO check engine light on either. I have had this problem for almost a year. Was going to send it to a dealer but then the front seal went out on it and got me for $600. So any suggestions would be helpful. oh by the way RPMs are near 700-800, no misfires, but it does shake all the way back to the exhaust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

forget to tell you it doesn't matter if engine is cold or hot. seems to get a little worse when hot but its constant

anyone have any ideas, im at a lose

03 Explorer Rough Idle

I have a 03 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L 103,000 miles. I have had this issue ever since I had the 100,000 Mile Maintenence done. The primary thing the Ford Dealer did was change my plugs and wires. They said everthing else checked out fine so I didn't need it. I have brought it back to the local Ford Dealer twice for 2 TSB's about this issue. One for a Computer Firmware update and a IAC Replacement had both done and it worked for a about a day, Still have the same issue. Explorer gets no bad codes on the tester or any dash lights such a check engine. Spoke to a mechanic friend of my Father In-Law he suggested these possibel fixes. This is what I did. Sprayed Sea Foam Cleaner and Cleaned the Air Valve in the Throttle Body, Replaced all hoses that I could with new ones. Still have the same issue but not as bad. His other suggestions were to change the PCV Valve and the Fuel Filter. I will let you know what happens.

It is a 2004 for explorer 4.0 vin k. I have the upper intake off and noticed how loose it was and replaced it and it has the same issue

I believe the 2004 has an IAC (idle air control valve) . You didn't say if anything was done to that.

Bob T
:usa:

I believe the 2004 has an IAC (idle air control valve) . You didn't say if anything was done to that.

Bob T

I stand corrected. The 04 does not have an IAC.
Sorry about that. :(

Bob T

any one able to see my youtube video too give me any input

any one able to see my youtube video too give me any input

I got some rubber gasket seal maker, (clear one) and put about a quarter of a inch to half a inch around it let it dry and poped it in, I did it on my 02 4.0, worked really good, I'm just guessing since it's aftermarket it has its little flaws, my 4.0 blew up so i don't really care for it anymore, the 4.0 was a useless, underpowered, gutless turd, trust me my 4.6 v8 gots some grunt but gosh that 4.0 was a disgrace to the explorer line.

I replaced valve cover with Dorman brand pcv tight know I was able to look at the cover and the plastic tabs inside are not broke. I would suggest maybe a larger o ring on the pcv valve

The 4.0 is a great motor mine is up to 150000milez and still rolling

The 4.0 is a great motor mine is up to 150000milez and still rolling
That's right, nothing wrong with it. Works as expected when properly used and maintained. Gives more than adequate performance on Explorer. Mine has currently 113miles, have been using E85 (VIN -k- ) exclusively for last 20000miles. Using my Explorer '04 in Finland, we do have harsh winter.

How to Fix a Rough Idle on Ford Explorer! PCV Vacuum Leak $5.00

That's right, nothing wrong with it. Works as expected when properly used and maintained. Gives more than adequate performance on Explorer. Mine has currently 113miles, have been using E85 (VIN -k- ) exclusively for last 20000miles. Using my Explorer '04 in Finland, we do have harsh winter.
Hi I am soo new to this and I noticed you have an 04 113 miles and the VIN is -K-, Like mine. What is E85? Gas right? So I shouldn't use Premium because I put the best gas its 91 or 93 I can't remember the highest it goes.

E85 is gasoline-ethanol-blend containing ethanol max 85% by volume. Ethanol actually allows few hp higher power output from 4.0L SOHC engine than normal gasoline, but car will consume more E85 than pure gasoline, since E85 contains less energy by volume. However, E85 tends to be cheaper in most places, here in Finland difference is around 1/3. Also, in cold climates ethanol concentration is lowered during winter time to about 80% to guarantee better ignition. I'm using block heater always when it's below 0°C (32°F).

Letter "k" at VIN-code means Explorer has ethanol-sensor and fuel injectors with greater flow capacity in fuel system and can optimize engine control for ethanol. Ability to use fuel with little amount of ethanol has been federal requirement in USA since 1996, but that requirement covers materials used in fuel system and engine.

Back