• Register Today It's free!

Boost Gauge ?

Bwells430

Reaction score
City, State
North Beach, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Just bought my Sport 2 weeks ago and love it. I've looked everywhere in the menu options and see no boost gauge. Am I missing it somewhere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was hoping it had one also but it does not. Really do not want additional gauges on the a-pillar of my Sport though. Kinda sucks, you would think that would be included on a turbo model.

It you are looking for a cheap alternative you could get an OBDII connector for the ECU and then use a smart phone app like Torque (for Android) or a similar iPhone app that will give you a boost / vacuum gauge for when you want it as well as tons of other readings you don't have gauges for. I do the same on my mazdaspeed vehicle since it has crap for gauges. I just get a suction cell phone mount to put it up there when I want to track that stuff. Enjoy.

I have a spare Nexus 7 tablet and was just looking at this app online. I am thinking I may give it a shot. Maybe next weekend, I am going off-roading with my Sport this weekend to see how it handles the mud. :)

What is the benefit of having a boost gauge?

What is the benefit of having a boost gauge?

It is important to monitor boost levels on non electronically controlled engines as to not blow a head gasket. On these engines it is more for fun or to see how hard you are pushing your motor. I would like to monitor EGTs as well. That should definitely be a menu option for gauges on the dash.

Just purchased a 2015 Ford Explorer sport a lot of fun to drive but why no boost gauge?

Welcome to the forum:chug:

I moved your thread to our Stock 2011 - 2016 subforum where the right folks should see it.

Just purchased a 2015 Ford Explorer sport a lot of fun to drive but why no boost gauge?

That's one of my only beefs with my Sport I have; such a small beef at that on my part. It's starting NOT to bother me though. The Sport is so responsive that it isn't like it was turbo equipped vehicle's in the 90's where turbo lag was a predominate issue. The power is pretty much right there when you press the accelerator without a 2-3 second boost lag. I think that is why Ford didn't put the gauge there. That is my thought as to why anyways. I agree with you though. It would be a cool gauge set right in between the tach the fuel meter... There is plenty of space for it that is for sure. I'm sure a performance shop could install an analogue boost gauge on top of the steering column if you're willing to pay for it.

You could also look into getting a bluetooth OBDII reader (about 20 bucks) and purchasing the Torque App (5 bucks) for any Android device. You can then set up your custom dashboard in Torque to display boost as well as all sorts of other goodies.

Disclaimer: I've never tried a boost gauge in Torque with an Explorer before. I've seen it work in other cars and I'm pretty confident it will work but no guarantees.

You could also look into getting a bluetooth OBDII reader (about 20 bucks) and purchasing the Torque App (5 bucks) for any Android device. You can then set up your custom dashboard in Torque to display boost as well as all sorts of other goodies.

Disclaimer: I've never tried a boost gauge in Torque with an Explorer before. I've seen it work in other cars and I'm pretty confident it will work but no guarantees.

I did exactly what you said and it works well. The boost gauge shows up and it is pretty cool.

Dave

Just wondering what boost gauges you guy's are running. I'm searching for one, and a couple of the one's I am interested in replaces the map sensor. That sucks because I am running livernois 3 bar map sensor at the moment.

you can buy an explorer specific gauge pod

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_gauge_pods.html
Explorer_pod1.jpg

and a fancy gauge to go with it

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/atm-880074
atm-880074_nk_xl.jpg

I just used a scrap piece of 2" ABS pipe and slipped in a Bosch gauge ( I didn't used the included mounting bezel) for 20$ and slapped it on the dash, a few people thought it came factory lol
You can buy a "boost" gauge or a gauge with boost and vacuum, having one that does both can help with fuel economy by staying out of boost.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=19&_udhi=25&_nkw=bosch boost gauge&_dcat=38660&rt=nc
s-l225.jpg

Perhaps because there's not a whole lot you can do with that information.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so where are you guys tapping in on the engine for the pressure sensor?

Back