• Register Today It's free!

New PCM in my future?

Bobmbx

Reaction score
City, State
King George, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
The Mounty is acting up a bit. Currently experiencing Commanded Engine Shutdowns, sometimes days apart, other times months and months apart. Various code pulls and diagnostics when that happens include some combination of Loss Of Comms with XXXX module. Sometimes its one or two, other times is a laundry list of control modules. Also, I just discovered my PCM seems overly hot compared to any other structure nearby (seems to eliminate engine heat as the source).

Having the engine shutdown on a 2 lane curvy road is an experience I don't wish on anyone, but it happened to the spouse, and now she has no confidence in the vehicle. So, if I can't resolve this quickly I'll be shopping for another vehicle for her, which is something I just don't to do right now. Until its resolved, she has commandeered my '17 Expedition EL.

Can anyone tell me if the PCM is supposed to be really hot to the touch?

Speed is of the essence here, guys.

I would have a close look at wiring before the PCM. Ford had a couple bad years of insulation, right around 06. Wouldnt surprise me if something is shorting out.

I would have a close look at wiring before the PCM. Ford had a couple bad years of insulation, right around 06. Wouldnt surprise me if something is shorting out.
Thanks. That was one of the first things I checked. I didn't notice anything. I posted a bunch of photos a couple of years ago about my 06 Expy wiring harnesses that had the insulation failure.

Update: Just did some data logging to see if one of my speed sensors was failing using ODBFusion. There are no anomalies in the data, even when the alarm sounds on the dash while moving. All 4 speed curves are smooth and nearly identical.

Interestingly, the SERVICE RSC NOW alarm sounded while I was parked in the driveway but idling. Thats darn odd, but would seem to rule out a problem with the sensors/speed rings.

Back