2001 Explorer Headlight Help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Headlight Help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A quick search linked to this site. Our '95 takes the 9007 style harness. We paid WAY more than this! UGH!

Big Rig Chrome Shop - Semi Truck Chrome Shop, Truck Lighting and Chrome Accessories

Team TARDIS

So this site say's $37, are you saying that is to much. or you paid a lot more which was too much?
Does it work?
Amazon has Hella 80W/100W bulbs for like $9.00. The two combined are cheaper than the Philips.

Was it difficult to install?
Did it actually increase light down the road?
Was there any strain on the electrical system?

So this site say's $37, are you saying that is to much. or you paid a lot more which was too much?
Does it work?
Amazon has Hella 80W/100W bulbs for like $9.00. The two combined are cheaper than the Philips.

Was it difficult to install?
Did it actually increase light down the road?
Was there any strain on the electrical system?

I'm sure a 80W Hella and the relay would increase the light output significantly, however be aware this is illegal, you will be blinding oncoming traffic and it may damage your headlight housings.

You could pair the relays with high efficiency bulbs with stock wattage to get more output legally and safely.

We paid closer to three figures as I recall. The only measurement was a light-meter app on the phone. Nothing really scientific. We found the highest reading with the phone flat against the garage door and penciled around it, installed the harness, placed phone in same spot and measured again. It read significantly higher but nothing noticeable on the road. Keep in mind this was done while the crappy non-OEM style housings were in.

Team TARDIS

We paid closer to three figures as I recall. The only measurement was a light-meter app on the phone. Nothing really scientific. We found the highest reading with the phone flat against the garage door and penciled around it, installed the harness, placed phone in same spot and measured again. It read significantly higher but nothing noticeable on the road. Keep in mind this was done while the crappy non-OEM style housings were in.

Team TARDIS

Copy that.

Now that winter has passed we installed

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Ma...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=11AJZHXDF5FY0D6VYSDN

into the OEM style fluted lenses. After a few nights of adjusting and test driving we've finally hit upon the winning combination!

Team TARDIS

20190322_233313.jpg
20190322_233406(1).jpg

We've since had the opportunity to drive in Chicago traffic, in the rain, with the LED bulbs and we weren't impressed. The contrast difference was also too much for our eyes. Currently back to Halogens. Trying the GE 9007 Nighthawk Platinum bulbs. They seem to be a touch whiter than the Philips X-tremeVision 100%. Longevity will be the deciding factor as to which we purchase again..

If off-roading then definitely LED bulbs!

Team TARDIS

NO WAY anyone shd buy new Fluted lenses.

If not fluted, what do you suggest?

Team TARDIS

I say CLEAR Lens & cheap 3 or 4 sided LEDS that are PROPERLY keyed to the Lens - Most LEDS come with a little set screw where u can orient the Bulb at any desired Axis to the Lens - For instance my Merc Lenses are Clear but the Reflector inside Lens hangs fm a vertical piece inside the Lens - SO>>> I made sure & keyed my 3 Sided LEDS so the 2 chips on top "straddled' the vertical piece so the chips weren't "blocked" - Mine are much better than the Halogens.

Understood. We tried non-fluted as described earlier in this thread but with poor results. Yes, LEDs were properly oriented, two sides, facing the reflectors which were multi-paneled if that's the correct term. I don't see where 4-sided bulbs would be an advantage, let alone 3-sided. Too many negatives in our opinion but I'm glad they work for you!

Team TARDIS

Understood. We tried non-fluted as described earlier in this thread but with poor results. Yes, LEDs were properly oriented, two sides, facing the reflectors which were multi-paneled if that's the correct term. I don't see where 4-sided bulbs would be an advantage, let alone 3-sided. Too many negatives in our opinion but I'm glad they work for you!

Team TARDIS

Yes the Explorer Reflectors WAY shorter top to bottom than the rather excellent 2001 Merc Reflector Area - But u GOTTA get something fm the up & down chips on a 4 - sided LED in an Explorer & they are so darn cheap I'd try it & see - My 3 sided LEDs burn 2 on Lo-Beam & the 3rd chip kicks in on Hi - I don't know how the 4 sided LED's split chip function so____? - Or maybe the COB Style ? - Finding an entire Mounty Front Clip gets u some good Lenses & Fogs for SURE & might be doable for the cost of those new Projector lenses >>>> BUT IF those Projector lenses are 'proper" that may well be the way to go with an Explorer.

FOGS.jpg

Back