Catalytic converter cleaner

9COOP5

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Exp XLS
2014 Exp XLT
I wanted to know if anyone has used catalytic converter cleaner? I saw advertised at auto parts stores for cleaning out the system including the dirty or clogged cats? Just trying to see what can be tried before changing one or two cats. I have the P0420 and P0430 codes on a ‘02 XLS Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A good highway drive, or some WOT runs is all I have ever done to "clean" a cat. converter, if it is possible to even clean them. A proper running engine is a must however. The catalyst will remain in effect for the life of the vehicle provided no defects, and no harmful substances used up stream on the engine like RTV that is not "sensor" safe.

Sounds like snake oil
Anything that survives the combustion chamber and makes it to the surfaces of your cat converters cannot be good for your engine. My guess is it's just some alcohol or something to get your engine running hot and burning clean
If you have ever seen the inside of a cat converter, they don't really get "dirty", all you need to do to keep them in good shape is keep your engine running well and get it hot once in a while, push the rpm's to redline from time to time

Is this 2002 a 4.0L V6 or 4.6L V8?

Here is what to suspect for P0420 BANK 1 and P0430 Bank 2:
Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for (unlikely)
A damaged or failed oxygen / O2 sensor
Downstream oxygen sensor (HO2S) wiring damaged or connected improperly
The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
Damaged or leaking exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / muffler / exhaust pipe
Failed or underperforming catalytic converter (likely)
Retarded spark timing T
he oxygen sensors in front and behind the converter are reporting too similar of readings
Leaking fuel injector or high fuel pressure
Cylinder misfire
Oil contamination

Since you have the same code on both banks I would suspect things that effect both sides of the engine, we can almost rule out:
It is not likely a failed or damaged 02 sensor since both downstream sensors would have to fail at the same time
Likely not leaded fuel
Retarded spark timing, maybe this is a sohc engine, but again it would have to be on both banks
Leaky injector, this would have to be more then one injector to reach both banks
Cylinder misfire, again would have to be two cylinders

So that brings us to this:
Do you have any leaks in the exhaust system upstream of the sensors?
Bad ECT sensor is possible
Underperforming cat converter, could be, but this would mean two of them went bad at same time
Oil contamination, any oil leaks around the engine?

I would like to hook up a scanner and watch the downstream sensors as you drive around, also monitor the ECT sensor.

Our 05 XLT 4.0 spits out the p0430 about every seven times it gets driven. Super annoying. I'm trying to gather data as to know (when) to expect the code. Mostly happens after a long hot drive when slowly cruising on back to the haus.
Found this, Engine Trouble Codes | BestRide.com, to be quite informative. There are hundreds of code sites . It seems that if an O2 sensor is at fault, there should be another code. However, if I wanted to change one of the four it would be , in my case, the down stream sensor. Looking at the Y-pipe, I can see how it can get the brunt of the exhaust.
As much as I hate to admit, I'm actually gathering parts from ex man gaskets to Cat Y-pipe to O2 sensors to tune up parts to cat back exhaust. The truck is worth it though. We're in for the long haul. I don't mind wrenching on it but not looking forward to broken bolts.
Just some thoughts.

Forgot. I tried the $25 bottle of Cat Cleaner . Waste of money i want to say.
There are other supposed remedies that I might try since I have a new Cat Y-pipe coming from rock auto.

Regis101 what are some other remedies you are thinking about using?

*I would like to hook up a scanner and watch the downstream sensors as you drive around, also monitor the ECT sensor.*

I'll have to research ECT.

I have one of those OBD scanners that I just read and erase codes. The freeze frame readout has a shipload of info. Unfortunately I done know what I'm looking at. I would entertain taking the truck to a shop that has the means of understanding any of the info. Hard to find competent people.

As far as remedy's. I'd first entertain a few bottles of Heet. Then I'd try the liqui-moly . Last resort is the lacquer thinner. But hey, I'm thinking most of the Cat Cleaner are nothing more than petroleum distillates anyway. This link should bake your noodle for a while. That Scotty guy is crazy enough that it might work.
I've been running MMO for a few tanks. I've been using that stuff forever but its not helping this situation., yet

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=catalytic+cleaners

Ahhh. ECT. I've had issues with Engine Coolant Temp sensor on other brands. It's almost a given that after a while, they either loose ground or get scummed up or just loose their ability. Thanks for the heads up.

I wanted to know if anyone has used catalytic converter cleaner? I saw advertised at auto parts stores for cleaning out the system including the dirty or clogged cats? Just trying to see what can be tried before changing one or two cats. I have the P0420 and P0430 codes on a ‘02 XLS Explorer.
@9COOP5
I've been fighting the CEL with repeating "HO2S Heater Resistance Bank 1 Pos 2 for about a year. Vehicle runs perfectly. At first, assuming heater resistance was the culprit, I checked the heater resistance. Within specs, all 4. Replaced all 4 sensors, same code. Ripped out all Bank 1 Sensor 2 wiring from fuse to sensor, sensor to PCM, replaced with new wiring. Same code. I heard these heater codes were used to alert to cat converter problems. Finally, desperate, I bought some of that expensive crap which is "guaranteed" to clean cats. No effect. Tried it again, almost a hundred bucks gone; it's bullshit.

So, I resolved the cat at least RH side must be replaced. Took a close look: The nuts on the studs at the exhaust manifolds are rusted away so badly, there's no corners left on them. Ditto at the other end of the H pipe, biut those could be sawed off. Runs perfect, fuel usage OK, I have let it slide, screw the CEL, but check it now and then to make sure no new very dire codes have come up. 164k on the vehicle, 4.0L 2004. I've even considered reverting the EFI system to OBD-I, using 4.9L 6-cyl. PCM, using only one O2 sensor. Big headaches to pull that off, transmission shifting (do not know of a stand-alone controller for 5R55S, entire instrument panel inoperative, fuel gasuge, speedo, not to mention very finicky ABS, etc. Thought about running TWO PCMs, one for engine only, but not certain if one disables so much, the '04 might shut me down. Then, there's the Throttle Body, need changeout to non-drive by wire, install cable & pedal, and fuel pressure change, spark advance curve, on and on.........imp

Did you ever try replacing the cat? Cut and weld in a new one?
Alot easier then some OBDI conversion with a Optishift trans controller! LOL

Did you ever try replacing the cat? Cut and weld in a new one?
Alot easier then some OBDI conversion with a Optishift trans controller! LOL
@410Fortune
Not yet! To sell or trade the vehicle, that CEL has to "prove out" and shut off. The room available to weld without dropping the H-pipe is pretty limited, as you no doubt are aware. Gotta use MIG, as I think OEM pipe is S/S, at least the cats are. Desperation drove me to consider drastic changes to operating system, but doubt I would go that far. The dang vehicle runs so well, it's amazing, if indeed it's seeing a cat problem. Always hated those 2 extra HO2Ss! imp

Install cheaters?
Gut the cat?
Shhhhh you didn't hear those from me!
(North Idaho = NO EMISSIONS) Finally! my entire driving life I have had emissions...not anymore!!

Install cheaters?
Gut the cat?
Shhhhh you didn't hear those from me!
(North Idaho = NO EMISSIONS) Finally! my entire driving life I have had emissions...not anymore!!
@410Fortune
Same here. 20 years Phoenix, lines at test station half a mile long. Now, Mohave County, along the Colorado River, south of Laughlin (NV) and Bullhead City (AZ), no emissions test or inspection of any type. County is 7th. largest in U.S., about 15 human beings per square mile, much of it is desolate desert. Today, New Years Eve, our high temp. predicted 57 degrees, 60% chance of needed rain. Happy New Year! imp

Back