2014 Explorer Driver Door Lock Actuator Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Driver Door Lock Actuator Replacement

holliwood98

Reaction score
City, State
Magnolia, Tx.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Has anybody had to replace their driver's door lock actuator? Mine went out, so I bought a replacement from FORD, but I can't figure out how to get the other one out. I've unbolted it from the door and unclipped the inner manual door lock rod, but I can't get the rod to the outer door handle off. Also, the actuator is connected to the window channel on that side. Do I need to unclip it from the channel, or try to take the channel out with it? I don't want to break anything trying to take it out, but I can't find one single how to video on the internet anywhere on how to remove these things. Any help would be much appreciated!

Shawn

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPDATE: Ok, I finally got it off and changed. WooHoo! I should've made a Youtube video ;)

UPDATE: Ok, I finally got it off and changed. WooHoo! I should've made a Youtube video ;)

Hi holliwood. I know you posted this a year ago but if you're still out there....I now have the same problem (same door) with my Explorer. Since you cracked the code on how to do this repair and don't have a video (would have been awesome), can you please give some notes about how to do this? Thanks

Hi holliwood. I know you posted this a year ago but if you're still out there....I now have the same problem (same door) with my Explorer. Since you cracked the code on how to do this repair and don't have a video (would have been awesome), can you please give some notes about how to do this? Thanks
FYI, he was last active here on Jan.7th, 2019.

Peter

Yes, I'm still on here. I don't get on very much, but I do still get email updates from threads I posted too. From what I remember, once you take off the door panel, you need to pop the rod loose that goes from the actuator up to the door handle (and maybe the door lock too. Can't remember). Then, on the outside door jam where the door latch is, unscrew the bolts that hold the actuator on the door. Once you get the actuator loose from the door (it should dangle around), this is the part nobody tells you about.

The actuator is still hooked to the other big plastic piece in the door. If you reach around the backside of it closest to the outside door jam where you unscrewed it, there is a connection where it is hooked to the other piece. You have to rotate them apart from each other to unhook them. You will use your right arm to reach in and grab the actuator. Rotate your wrist down and it will disconnect. You will have to rotate it kind of far where it seems like it will break something, but it doesn't. Then, once you replace it, just reverse what you did the first time. Hope this helps. I attached a very sloppy, quick sketch of it ;)

Explorer Door Actuator Sketch.PNG

Yes, I'm still on here. I don't get on very much, but I do still get email updates from threads I posted too. From what I remember, once you take off the door panel, you need to pop the rod loose that goes from the actuator up to the door handle (and maybe the door lock too. Can't remember). Then, on the outside door jam where the door latch is, unscrew the bolts that hold the actuator on the door. Once you get the actuator loose from the door (it should dangle around), this is the part nobody tells you about.

The actuator is still hooked to the other big plastic piece in the door. If you reach around the backside of it closest to the outside door jam where you unscrewed it, there is a connection where it is hooked to the other piece. You have to rotate them apart from each other to unhook them. You will use your right arm to reach in and grab the actuator. Rotate your wrist down and it will disconnect. You will have to rotate it kind of far where it seems like it will break something, but it doesn't. Then, once you replace it, just reverse what you did the first time. Hope this helps. I attached a very sloppy, quick sketch of it ;)

View attachment 175945

Thanks holliwood. Not sure I would have figured this out. I'll be working on this, this weekend. Fingers crossed.

Thanks holliwood. Not sure I would have figured this out. I'll be working on this, this weekend. Fingers crossed.

This post helped me out. I did the job last weekend. The key for me was unbolting the old actuator after opening the clip. This allowed me to push the rod up and over the latch for the manual unlock mechanism. Certainly no room to work, and with the window guide right there....

Back