How many miles will an explorer go for? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles will an explorer go for?

That's my girl! 2002 XLS with 4.0.
20181228_075244.jpg
@plasticseng And to think they say the early OHCs were the "bad ones" which got improved chain guides around '03.........imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just adding mine to the list of high-mileage Ex's. 2005 Eddie Bauer 4x4 with 167,900 miles on it. Just purchased it 10 days ago. Had 2 owners previous, I believe. Rebuilt tranny at 94,000, plus, seals and other parts. Just had an inspection done today. Only found a minor axle seal leak.

As others have said, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan, etc., it doesn't matter. Don't skimp on getting maintenance done! Take care of it like it's your child, it will live forever. Or as long as it can physically do so. :D:redexplorer:

191,100 miles to date on my 2002 Ford Explorer XLS 4.0.

Sitting at 240k miles on my 05 Explorer, only thing was wheel bearings due to neglect from previous owners. Ended up having to replace all 4.

Good going! You have, obviously, taken care of that baby!

I think the best thing you can do is use the proper grade and quality of oil and change it regularly. I'm trying some Mobil1, "Annual Protection", which I will change when Summer gets here. I can't let it go that long in good conscience.

292K miles on my 94. I purchased it with 283K from the guy in the trailer next to me for $600 and drove it halfway across the country (from CA to MO). It needed front wheel bearings and a new windshield to pass state inspection. I had intended to leave it in MO as a 4WD for the family to use when the roads are icy. However, I drove it back from MO to CA and got 22 MPG going just under 65 MPH (and maybe used 1/2 quart of oil). Hoping to make it to 300K. I know the fuel pump, water pump and alternator have been replaced and the power steering leaks seriously if it's left sitting, but I don't know if its had any tranny work or significant engine work. I plan to pick up another OHV Explorer (with much lower mileage) and make it my main commuter and keep the current one as a back up vehicle. I'll keep trolling Autotrader until I find the one I want that's close enough to go get.

I plan to pick up another OHV Explorer (with much lower mileage) and make it my main commuter and keep the current one as a back up vehicle. I'll keep trolling Autotrader until I find the one I want that's close enough to go get.
Recommend you stick with gen 3 or 4, to avoid rollover risk with prior models. My son was air lifted to hospital with fractured hip after the ‘97 he was riding in rolled on the highway. Thank goodness he was wearing his belt, definitely saved his life.

196K on my 94 Eddie Bauer with no rust in Florida. Love this truck but wondering how many more miles for which it may be good so I am looking. Test drove a 2007 Eddie Bauer and much prefer mine.

Back