Newbie to Infotainment- Where to start with setting up Sync 3? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie to Infotainment- Where to start with setting up Sync 3?

alisonw

Reaction score
City, State
Durham, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Ok, so we drive our cars until the wheels fall off. The 2018 Explorer XLT (with Tech package) we just bought is replacing a 2001 Explorer XLT. Our other car is a 2007 Toyota, so we have no experience with car technology whatsoever. Seriously, our other cars do not have usb ports, a screen of any type, or even satellite radio. I'm actually pretty tech savvy, enough to know that if I don't set this Sync system up right in the beginning, it could be a pain in the butt to reset / reconfigure things later.

Any advice out there about setting up a new Sync 3 system? Sync phone with car first? Sign up Ford website first? Download the app first? Are there any specific settings you recommend?

What about signing up for free trial periods? I've never had satellite radio or navigation. I currently just use IHeartRadio, Apple Music, Waze, google maps. Free Wi-Fi for 3 months is included. Can I save that for a long trip later this year or does the trial period begin at purchase?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum alison.:wave:
One of the first things is to create an account Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site There you will find updates to Sync 3 when they become available. The automatic WiFi download may or may not work at this time. Set up your WiFi connection with your home system. You should also 'pair' your phone with Sync 3. I don't know about 'apps' since I don't have a Smartphone and hardly use the cell phone I do have. Your Sirius subscription is for 6 months and should already be active since it begins with the vehicle purchase.
There is a whole section on Sync 3 in your Owner's Manual. Also, reading the entire Owner's Manual is a very good place to start. Many questions asked here have answers that are in the Manual. Doing a 'Master Reset' will put things back to the factory settings. You may experience the "Acquiring signal" in a week or so. This is something Ford is working on. Explorer SiriusXM Stuck "Acquiring Signal" (Intermittent) 2018 Models
Good luck.

Peter

One of the features that You should find help is the Sirius Travel Link (5years free subscription) The Travel link is separate from the Sirius Voice radio. The travel link has six major features but use two of them the most. Sports scores, Weather, Fuel prices, Movie listings, traffic and Ski Conditions. I don't necessarily need the last one in Texas but can be good. Probably the favorite of the two that I use the most (Fuel Prices and Weather) is the Weather. You can set the weather to give current conditions. five day forecast, and yes even a weather map overlay with moving map radar? If your somewhat of a weather junkie like me you can get radar, Fronts, and major weather systems. You can select along current route, destination, major cities etc... The six month Sirius trial and 5 year Travel Link start at purchase. The three month free WiFi I added later on.

First things first I would strongly recommend a screen protector. with the touch screen the less times your fingers and finger oils touch the screen the better. Search Amazon I found pack of two for around $15.00 and molded to the touch screen. Stylus would be a good back up but strongly consider the tempered glass screen protector they install the same say as a tablet or cell phone.

You also would not be wrong with some Weather Tech products, especially cargo/carpet liners and vent visors.

Clear Bra for the front hood area. I have all of the front fascia, and about half way back on the fenders and hood done for around $760 (Includes Tax)

Oh Yeah!!! Welcome aboard, send some photos.

Pair Phone would be a good start. Yes all of the steps are good but not necessarily in any specific order.

The dealer practically would not let me off the lot until I had paired my phone. I think they had already activated the sat radio as it was working when I picked up the truck. As Stephen said, I don't think it matters as to the order of activation of the other things.

For the Ford Owner app, I didn't see much use in it. I guess if I needed to unlock or remote start my truck from outer mongolia it might be handy. The whole 'big brother' aura had me uninstall and disable that shtuff. Ford really doesn't need to have their finger in my.... ear and know everyplace I go.

The Android Auto is pretty cool. It displays the Waze from your phone on the Sync3 screen along with music and phone functions. It kinda gets in the way at times though too.

The dealer practically would not let me off the lot until I had paired my phone. I think they had already activated the sat radio as it was working when I picked up the truck............
Same here.

I'm not sure what I hit, but I lost the ability to have Android Auto, and Waze, show up on my Sync 3 screen. Been all through the owners manual and my phone, but have not been able to figure out what I did to lose it. It was working great when plugged in via USB. Any ideas? How do I get it back?

I'm not sure what I hit, but I lost the ability to have Android Auto, and Waze, show up on my Sync 3 screen. Been all through the owners manual and my phone, but have not been able to figure out what I did to lose it. It was working great when plugged in via USB. Any ideas? How do I get it back?

Did you check the following:

Is the app on the phone updated, set up and enabled?
Is AA enabled in Sync 3 settings?
Have you tried using a different cable to connect the phone?

Yes, Yes, and yes. I even deleted and reinstalled the AA.

Yes, Yes, and yes. I even deleted and reinstalled the AA.

Sorry I may have misread your post, are you saying when you connected the USB cable you had the option for AA AND Waze?

I've always had to go through AA to access Waze but I believe others have had the option show up in the Sync menu for them, I'm not sure how as when I scan apps it doesn't pick it up and I have the latest versions of both Sync and Waze installed.

So I had one of those "D'oh" moments with the settings in Sync. While I checked whether or not AA was enabled, I misread the disable as push it to disable. I tried it and it worked.

Mine is like yours that I must go through AA to get to Waze. Would be nice to avoid AA.

Traveling is good for 5 years? Does that mean I should be able to notified of accidents even though the subscription has expired?
I lost the colors on my routes when subscription expired
I have a 2017 and everything regarding sirius is expired

Back