Brake upgrade for my 96 5.0 awd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake upgrade for my 96 5.0 awd

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
Looking at some bigger brakes to help slow my 32's. Was debating on the 12" sport upgrade and running a gen 3 rear pad out back, but not sure if the fronts will clear my 15" soft 8's with 4 inch backspace. Does anyone know if these will clear?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will not work with your 15" wheels
The reason the 2002-2004 sports and sport tracs were able to use the larger front rotor is the 16" wheels

Will not work with your 15" wheels
The reason the 2002-2004 sports and sport tracs were able to use the larger front rotor is the 16" wheels

I know that but thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I have read some aftermarket steel 15's work and I was hoping mine were one of them. I know factory aluminum 15's are a no go.

try it!
They MIGHT clear
Do you know anyone with a sport or trac? Can you take your wheel over there and try?
Maybe take some measurements with you to the junk yard?

try it!
They MIGHT clear
Do you know anyone with a sport or trac? Can you take your wheel over there and try?
Maybe take some measurements with you to the junk yard?

Unfortunately I don't or I would have done that. I know its going to be mm of clearance if that, so measuring is almost pointless. I need to physically try it so was hoping someone already had.

Anyone near you parting one out? You could take your wheel w you and try it, if it fits you buy the parts, if not have a nice day

Nice post!!

The sport brakes fit with 15x10s with 3.25 backspace. Also there's a factory ranger 15" aluminum wheel that will also clear them.

Yup looks like I need some more info. One thread says yes, the other says no. Probably depends how round the soft 8 is. A little wobble may cause it to rub more if it's in fact that close. Guess I can see if a scrapyard will let me test fit a wheel, but usually they don't want to be bothered with that stuff.

Actually an interesting question. Didn't the sport trac have different calipers vs the 95-01 explorer? If i recall, doing this mod you can reuse the 96 caliper on the sport trac spindles. Maybe the fit/doesn't fit comes into play when you reuse the 96 caliper vs use the sport trac caliper?

When I put the 12" rotors on my 99, to roll it around I used two old spare 15's. We had several wheels to try, and only two of about six would, and one of those rubbed. The 15" wheels we tried were mainly Mark VII and Crown Vic wheels. I just needed them while being rebuilt, I put 16's on it when I was done.

So they are close, only a rare 15's few will fit. I also used the original 99 calipers, I had the 03 calipers but never put them on.

Back